Spicebomb (2012)

PerfumerOlivier Polge
PackagingFabien Baron
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Spicebomb

Spicebomb is a masculine fragrance by Viktor & Rolf. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Polge. The bottle was designed by Fabien Baron

Spicebomb fragrance notes

Reviews of Spicebomb

Spicy? Yes.
Soulless? Yes.
Soyonara? Yes.

1 star.
15th September, 2020
Pink pepper fun

Its not the spice cabinet I wish it was. Its a pink pepper frag, pretty sweet, pretty loud. The only aggressive thing about this grenade is the strength of the projection and juice in general. Not the composition, which I find nice and people pleasing. No one smells this on someone and thinks its daring. But thumbs up, since I think they did a pretty good job overall.
11th September, 2020 (last edited: 13th September, 2020)
Today,before I left the house to take care of things. I wanted to do me a favour and had a few sprayers on my T-shirt. The prelude is spicy, sweet and fresh at the same time.
The notes I've perceived the most:
Bergamot, cinnamon, tobacco, pepper and amazingly Vetiver for the first time.
All in all a great fragrance, in a beautiful and humorous flacon.

I would also like to add something I have experienced with this fragrance. I have been on Parfumo/Basenotes for about 3 years and have been using fragrances for quite some time.
I can't remember receiving several compliments from strangers to one of my perfumes in just one day (like today).
In that regards, Spicebomb has really hit the people just like a grenade of fine and aromatic oils.This proves to me that Aventus is definitely not the King of fragrances and Invictus is not Invincible, and that unknown designer fragrances may have a pleasing and not an harassing effect on people in the environment of the wearer.
29th May, 2020
I should probably rate this as Neutral, but I give it a Thumbs Up out of sheer enthusiasm. I can't go into Sephora or a department store without trying on Spicebomb. And I often think that my love of the concept of "Spicebomb" is greater than the scent really is. I love what others might consider its tacky bottle, and the idea of spicy oriental "bomb" fragrance for men. Is Spicebomb all that? I don't know. What it is, really, is often a big mess, but a good intriguing one. And I'm not sure at all of the drydown. Sometimes I like it, and sometimes it's like one of those newsstand tobacconists, where some smells are captivating and others seem tawdry, like the aging and rather dingy carpet. In short, I think the tonka in Spicebomb stays too sweet for me, where I want my tobacco scents a little dirtier and deeper. But I wear it nonetheless and I love it.
03rd March, 2020 (last edited: 09th August, 2020)
Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb, specifically the juice with color from 2013 (or earlier), is especially great, before its reformulation to the current juice without color, but it’s still great in its current incarnation. I’d avoided Spicebomb for years after not liking it around the time of its release but I’ve warmed up to it (and then some) since that time, and I can easily see how it’s a staple, particularly as a cold weather men’s fragrance.

The concept of the fragrance is the mix of cool and hot spices, and I agree that it’s effective in that way—it’s not overly powdery, spicy hot, spicy fresh, minty, or any one aspect, but rather, an ensemble of spices that’s very effective in how well it’s blended. It has influences of pink pepper, saffron, tobacco, and elemi primarily, a sort of spicy, woody, slightly resinous blend that hits a lot of the right spots while not being too powdery.

The vintage in particular is a bit deeper, darker, and longer-lasting than the newer formulations, though the newer stuff is still great, just slightly more superficial. I do not regard the difference between the newer and older juice significant enough to regard the newer juice as not worth buying. It surely still is, particularly at a nice discount via a grey market site.

As a side note, I don’t regard it as all that similar to Bvlgari Man in Black, which has sweeter and leathery touches far more so than Spicebomb.

Overall, Spicebomb is a great fragrance that took way too long for me to warm up to and I’m delighted to not only have it in its current formulation but also a “vintage” version as well. Even the newer version performs quite well.

8 out of 10
13th November, 2019
Fresh and fruity at first. The opening is very nice which is a rarity for me. You get the Bergamot but also a tropicalness that keeps you coming back for more.

Gets spicy further on in a nice way. Then out come the basenotes when the spicyness starts mellowing down. Do note that it doesn't have any real (dirty) Leather which may disappoint some but I can live with it.

In the drydown the Elemi is the strongest. It's piney but not lemony (as opposed to i.e. MFK Amyris Homme). Second strongest note is a light, blonde Tobacco. Still that doesn't explain this sweetness that's present and which I thought was Tonka Bean but since it's not listed it may come from an accord they use for the leather note, one that definitely doesn't contain oakmoss.

It might actually be the same leather accord that Zara uses in its Gourmand Leather. That would explain the lack of (dirty) Leather in it.
05th August, 2019

Add your review of Spicebomb

Shop for Spicebomb products online

Shop for Spicebomb at online perfumeries

Search on eBay