A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] (2011)
by Thierry Mugler

A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] information

Year of Launch2011

HouseThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste]

A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2011

A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste]

rbaker Show all reviews
An opening blast with bright bergamot and a minty note, with only the latter lasting beyond the first seconds. Soon the coriander merges with the mints, with a darkish-green lavender in the background. These form quite an unusual and interesting olfactory alliance.

In the drydown the eponymous pepper develops, but people allergic to spices need not worry: Hot maybe is being peppery, but on me at least is is quite a mild impression and red sweet peppers; even the patchouli is quite tame and lacking any strong harshness. A woodsy undertone, with touches and sandalwood and whiffs of cedar, is rather weakly noticeable only.

After a couple of hours the whole loosed in strength, sillage and projection quite considerable. A soft cafe-au-lait aroma appears in the base, with the sweetness of the gradually waning chili finding a successor in a tonka impression that lasts until the end. touches of styrax counteract the sweetness to some extent, resulting in quite a balanced blend.

I get moderate sillage, good projection initially, and eight hours of longevity on y skin.

A scent for warmer autumn days, there is not need to worry for those with spice allergies, as this is a very restrainedly peppery scent with some original moments, but with some rather generic moments too. 3.25/5

03rd May, 2021
It's not bad and the hot chili pepper is nothing to be scared of if you like the original Amen or even Pure Havane. After the opening, which you can smell the chili pepper, it's the sweet tonka and coffee scent that is familiar to anyone that knows Amen. Having said that, it's all turned way down and is more subtle and wearable than the original. The skin scent towards the end is a nice vanilla/coffee.

I get good projection and longevity.

24th March, 2018
Perhaps the least resemblance to the forefather, A*Men. This fragrance has a touch of strange gourmand within the famous amber-fabricated coffee/vanilla pattern of A*Men. This gourmand smell is so professional and you hardly can find it in only some few creations as: Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau, Ego Facto Poopoo Pidoo, and Perfumes by Terri Vertigo Cuir.

The opening is so crisp with vegetal fleshy sweet notes. Then it settles in patchouli and chilli pepper and vanilla, all rendered by vibrant cedar and rounded coumarin. Yet the coffee is unavoidably beautiful. I rather fall in love with the bean in this creation more than every single A*Man flanker. It's peppery coffee.

★★★★
06th November, 2015
Tmoran Show all reviews
I think all thierry mugler A*men flankers and the original can be somewhat challenging when you first smell them. I wouldnt say any of them have an actual "Bad" smell but I think we as humans have it ingrained in our brains what we should and should not smell like. Thierry mugler usually doesnt play it safe and dares you to think for yourself and step out of what people expect. This I feel is why they are such a love and hate brand.

My experience with TOF (taste of fragrance) is rather odd. Usually I either like something or dislike it. Rarely does something grow on me. This however is that very fragrance. When I first sprayed this every instinct told me, "dude, you should not smell like this" But like many mugler fragrances and certain foods its an acquired taste that develops in time. I went from hating TOF to loving it in a single night. I was wearing and almost was compelled to scrub it off. But I left it on to give it a chance. The next day I was like, "man I dont think I will be wearing that again." I then grabbed my bottle of pure leather. Funny thing is a half hour later I found myself craving TOF. I am actually wearing it as I am writing this and I honestly am over the moon for the stuff. I have a new appreciation for it.

I would recommend anyone who bought a bottle to give it another try. And force yourself to leave it on for the day. Once it dries down that chilli note goes to the backround and a sweeter berry like accord comes to the front almost in the same spirit and pure havane or pure malt. Not the same smell but rather the same feel if you get my meaning. The drydown of TOF is really something to behold. And if you can hold on long enough to get there the reward for you patience is really satisfying. I think TOF is probably the single most underrated frag in the Thierry Mugler lineup. It deserves to be right along side pure malt and pure havane.
24th June, 2014
In the spirit of Pure Havane...

Minus the honey and tobacco, plus coffee and supposed chili pepper paste. Chili Peper Paste is an idea here, the package, the name, the overall feel, not really that you'll specifically feel the smell of pepper paste here, well not me at least, subjectively. It is a subconscious, subliminal message that the marketing sends you, thus lo' and behold, you really "feel" the chili pepper paste smell in it.

The supposed pepper don't have a strong effect, a bit placid, however overall fragrance is not bad, on the contrary. Underrated flanker, not nearly spoken of unlike Pure Malt and Pure Havane with which Taste Of Fragrance shares the vibe.
Pure Havane really kicks in here, but coffee note is present unlike in Havane where honey note dominates. Regardless, Pure Havane feel is here. You just can't escape that cherry liqueur vibe that is present.

I believe that The Taste Of Fragrance isn't much of the hype simply because it followed soon after Pure Havane that just got all attention, quite quickly after Pure Leather ensued both with Pure Shot and somehow Taste Of Fragrance became a victim of a sort.

This fragrance, albeit not too heavy, seems to give its best in winter despite the obvious fact that due to it's lack of invasive potency could easily play the role of the whole year fragrance.

I don't think it's unfair that this fragrance isn't the hype, however it is unfair that it got under the radar, seldom mentioned or spoken of. It's a really good fragrance that didn't get to the audience like the previous flankers.

Thumbs up because I really like the idea of the entire line, otherwise neutral about it by a small margin.

Originality: 3/10
Fragrance: 8/10
Longevity: 8/10
Projection: 6/10
09th April, 2014
Was going to purchase this one a while back, but because of that chili pepper paste note it detered me away from purchasing it. I tried a sample today, and must say this fragrance is pretty good. I get the light chili note in the initial spray. It has the A*Men DNA in there (that's a good thing) which turns into a coffee scented fragrance. I will be purchasing a bottle of this in the near future. 7/10.
02nd January, 2014 (last edited: 08th January, 2014)

Add your review of A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste]

Shop for A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] products online

Search on ebay

Member images of A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste]

There are no member images of A*Men : Le Gut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]