Opus VI (2012)

PerfumerPierre Negrin
Creative DirectorChristopher Chong

About Opus VI

Part of the 'Library' collection. Amouage describe the fragrance as:

... an amber, leather and woody fragrance inspired by the destruction and reinvention of knowledge and memories. Symbolising the end of a love affair, eternity is represented as broken memories in the design of the box.

Opus VI fragrance notes

Reviews of Opus VI

Beautiful brilliant chypre scent.
15th June, 2020
Looked promising with the thought of pepper and frankincense upfront, but none there. Just ends up being a powdery amber scent, with some synthetic citrus mixed in.
19th February, 2019
Stunning. This is Soapy Spicy Amber.
Amouage have some of my fave Scents now.

Although this is fairly similar to Journey, for me Journey is the more spicy stronger better scent.
Not taking away anything Opus V1 is another Masterpiece, only beaten by Journey. Just in my opinion.

Scent. 8.9
Longevity 9.0
Sillage 7.6

Complete masterpiece.
A lot of people go for Jubilation... This is my go to Special occasion frag. Big thumbs up
01st December, 2018
Bright and soapy, spicy, yet wonderfully complex thanks to the central amber, Opus VI is truly a masterpiece.

At first, its brightness made it similar to Opus IV for me. Then, I noticed its spiciness; This alone makes it lean male for me. Finally, I understood that the central complexity is amber, a note I know and adore in S. Lutens' Ambre Sultan. With this knowledge, it became clear to me that Opus VI also is a very soapy scent, and this aspect reminds me of my favourite Journey from this house.

This is a brilliant scent, and I am certain that I will get a FB at some point.
02nd September, 2018
Overwhelmingly crowded feeling scent, unlike any other scent (in or out of the Opus Library Collection, including a mention of YSL's M7).

This one has a peppery, smoky, balsamic, ambery, green, and spicy multi-personality; apparently, Opus VI was deliberately designed by perfumer Chrisopher Chong to feel emotionally discordant and uneasy; personally wouldn’t wear it as this one's vibe's don't do it for me.
14th August, 2018
Unfortunately, I have to go against the grain here: Opus VI was strong and overbearing. The sweetly animalic note was super over the top. Opus VI has so much going on that it is hard to enjoy, IMHO!!

Don't get me wrong I think it has some great qualities that makes this stand out among its counterparts, however I couldn't get past the incensey, almost [sweetly] BO smell that enveloped as the fragrance evolved.

Two fragrances Amouage Opus VI reminds me of: L'Artisan Timbuktu and also, Jubilation XXV. The difference is all have an animalic nuance, however Timbuktu's sweetly nuance is toned down a bit and Jubilation XXV's nuance comes through in the blackberry note. Both of the latter, IMHO, have down the sweet incensey thing a little better than Opus VI.

Performance: 8.5/10
Projection: 9/10
Longevity: 9/10
Silage: 8.5/10
Overall: 8 or 9 out of 10 (for pure fragrance)

(Although not a fan of this, still wanted to give an honest rating for those who do enjoy this...)
23rd March, 2018