Bois d'Iris (2009)

HouseVan Cleef & Arpels
PerfumerEmilie Coppermann
Parent CompanyInter Parfums

About Bois d'Iris

One of Van Cleef & Arpels' 'Collection Extraordinaire'.

Bois d'Iris fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois d'Iris

Lovely, soft iris - cool, just barely sweet, with gentle woody/powdery facets. It strikes me as seasonless, though I have yet to test that theory by wearing it in the summer. It is not a strong fragrance - I'm happy the bottle is 75ml because you could spray this one liberally.

I'm fortunate that I was able to find an online discounter that still had bottles in stock; I have a feeling this is not going to be around much longer. I've now tried three fragrances from this line and liked them all. It's a shame I wasn't able to try Lys Carmin and Muguet Blanc as I bet they are lovely, but now seem impossible to find except on eBay for highly inflated prices.
18th January, 2021
This is delicate. This is fragile. But so, so delightful to wear.

From the moment I read the name I had wanted to try this, and it smells exactly how I would have wanted it to smell. A little bit of a peppery (but not in a spicy sense) iris.

It doesn't have a wide reach, nor does it last long on my skin. It fades into the background within an hour or two, where it will linger to only some times come back up as a pleasant reminder of your decision earlier that day. But boy (or girl!) is it wonderful to wear.
28th December, 2020
Kotori Show all reviews
Smooth and cold. Imagine Bvlgari Black and L'Instant de Guerlain for women had a baby. The beginning is all about rubber and woods, and then it calms down to Iris and ambergris with a bit of cedar. There's also a bit of pepper, to my nose. Completely unisex. A gentle cool weather fragrance with a rich temperament and a classy vibe.
22nd October, 2017
my old pal colin could have written my sense of this minor masterpiece word for word. except for the ending - i found fb at a fraction of retail, so just perfect. 'silver powder' indeed!
29th September, 2017
Maude Abrantes - Amedeo Modigliani
04th November, 2016
I must admit it: I’ve a penchant for iris fragrances. As long as they’re even just decent, I always like them a lot. It amazes me how versatile this material can be, and how many nuances it offers. It can smell warm and luscious, dusty and cold, “grey” and “red”, plushy and earthy, and always so refined and mysterious. Anyway, Bois d’Iris is surely a remarkable must for any fan of this material, probably even more than other more praised ones in my opinion. It explores the colder-dustier and more balsamic side of iris, pairing it with dry resins, warm amber, a very peculiar sort of “greyish”, massively incense-driven crisp woody note, and a sort of rarefied foggy pine-forest feel. So imagine a breezy, balsamic, woody and above all, dusty-powdery incense scent, completely unisex and actually quite dark somehow, or better say “cold”, peaceful yet somehow aloof. Almost “lunar”, I’d say. And extremely refined: the dustiness has some very fascinating sort of sparkling texture – “silver powder”, so to speak. Dior named a scent “Bois d’Argent”, but that name would be so better for Bois d’Iris actually. By the way the two scents are indeed quite similar, but I prefer Bois d’Iris, for a couple of very simple features: less pretentious, more substantial.

What fascinates me about this scent is how it creates a shimmering, rarefied sort of “silver incense” vibe played on iris powder and resinous-balsamic woody notes, without using directly incense. I mean, this fragrance smells quite incensey to me, but in a peculiar way, “incensey and not-incensey at once”. Maybe more than incense I should say “a whiff of cold, azure-grey smoky breeze scented with iris and luxury resins”, as it feels weightless and airy yet surprisingly substantial, balsamic, enveloping. Truly one of a kind, extremely enjoyable and fascinating. Shortly – if it wasn’t clear already – I really like this scent: it feels quality, it’s extremely sophisticated, it’s delicate but not light or too close to skin – just elegantly discreet. I own other iris based scents, and this has definitely its own personality which makes it worth owning even if you think you’ve “smelled them all” when it comes to iris. Maybe a tad too expensive, but a true class act!

27th November, 2015

Add your review of Bois d'Iris

Shop for Bois d'Iris products online

Shop for Bois d'Iris at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Bois d'Iris

There are no member images of Bois d'Iris yet. Why not be the first?