No. 19 Poudré (2011)

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About No. 19 Poudré

No. 19 Poudré is a feminine perfume by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Polge

No. 19 Poudré fragrance notes

Reviews of No. 19 Poudré

I've been obsessed with all things Chanel since I was a teenager, when my best friend and I would obsessively save our pennies from our weekend mall-jobs to skip over to the Broadway department store to buy a bottle of perfume. We eventually accumulated No. 5, 19, 22, and Cristalle, each of which came housed in distinctive cylindrical plastic bottles—black for No. 5, silver for 19, white for No. 22, clear for Cristalle.

To us teens of the '80s, Chanel wasn't old-fashioned. It was luxury and quality incarnate. Nothing smelled as beautiful, nothing lasted as long on our skin, nothing wafted its sillage as seductively.

I've smelled just about every Chanel in existence, and even the ones I haven't liked I've at least admired. If nothing else, you get major bang for your buck. The Chanel that I spritz in the morning is still making its presence known before bedtime.

Which is why No. 19 Poudre is such a disappointment—and puzzle. It's a quality formulation for sure, a study in contrasts, green yet powdery, thanks to citrus and galbanum bolstering the famous Chanel jasmine and iris—not so much an updating or reinterpretation of the original No. 19, but a modern homage to its spirit. It's truly lovely, but I can't give it more than a neutral rating because it lasts maybe 2 minutes on my skin.

I even soaked myself with it on a 90-degree day and . . . nothing. All I can hope for is that maybe I'm temporarily anosmic to it.

07th September, 2020
Smells like a slightly greener version of Prada Infusion d’Iris. Sillage is a lot more powerful which many may want or expect as this is twice the price. One spritz on the wrist while my spouse was outside, and he could smell it as soon as he came into the house. Be careful wearing this one to work!
18th May, 2020
Poudré, to me, is a paradox. It's at once very like and unlike the original Chanel No. 19. I wanted to despise this trust-fund baby, but I can't. It's beautiful.

Like the original No. 19, the iris is strong but refined. No cloying candy-cookie-fruity-vanilla "please don't give me a speeding ticket, officer" nonsense here. Poudré smells smart.

When I wear Poudré instead of Chanel No 19, I don't get any of the "old lady perfume" complaints from my family. So maybe from a certain point of view, Poudré is Chanel No 19 with the "old lady perfume" factor taken out.
29th October, 2019 (last edited: 09th November, 2019)
Honestly, I didn't expect to love this, let alone like it.

Massive blast of powdery iris, straight away. Pretty! Suede-like note hiding beneath. Not what I expected, as I stated. Only ghostly citrus hints, to my nose. They are smothered by iris & galbanum, to start, then annihilated by the other heart notes.
Dreamy, Stevie Nicks styled invasion of mystery and romantic lyrics. Not overly flowery. Nearly face-powder nuances. Just plain lovely.
Iris, Tonka bean, and hyacinth create a lovely cloud. Anyone who doesn't appreciate its charms or at least its creativity, should have their head examined, IMO. Notes hang in the air like distant flute music.
10th September, 2019
Very excited to find Chanel No. 19 Poudre". I haven't been shopping since I retired and have not kept up with the newer formulations. I quit shopping when every bottle I tested smelled like Issey Miyaki and produced a headache from Hell.

No. 19 (although beautiful) did not develop well on my skin but
Poudre" is the exception. Not being familiar with all the notes used in perfumery I am unable to single out what I like about this fragrance.

It's clean, it's green, it' powdery, it's soft, it's light. The floral notes do not overpower the formula. In fact, the balance between the light citrus, the floral and the base flow together like a walk through a butterfly garden on a Spring day.

I wish it were a bit weightier but then it wouldn't be what it is, a waft of nature floating on a light breeze through your bedroom window.
03rd August, 2018
My problem is with the name. There isn't sufficient connection to No. 19 but Chanel must have decided that an austere bitch must have a softer side. In my horticulture training a group of us tackled a massive pile of Iris rhizomes, discarding the spent and trimming up the new offshoots for replanting. When Chris Sheldrake narrates the Iris Poudre you tube clip it's as if I'm there again; I can't deny the manual labour required to produce my favourite base, iris butter. I simply don't understand the austere, heartless bitch reputation of Chanel No 19, the embryo, in some influential minds, being Gabrielle herself. Instead, think Piaf and La Vie en Rose.

Actually I'm not objective enough to pull Iris Poudre to its marshmallow bits, so I just have to agree with the others, and put myself on a lover's cross, wear it most days, saving the original No.19 for higher heels and repartee with a male chauvinist.
16th July, 2017 (last edited: 30th August, 2017)

Add your review of No. 19 Poudré

Shop for No. 19 Poudré products online

Search on eBay

Member images of No. 19 Poudré

There are no member images of No. 19 Poudré yet. Why not be the first?