Notice: We will be offline from Monday 27 September as we upgrade the site. More details here.

Piper Leather (2011)
by Illuminum

Piper Leather information

Year of Launch2011

HouseIlluminum

About Piper Leather

Piper Leather is a shared / unisex perfume by Illuminum. The scent was launched in 2011

Piper Leather fragrance notes

Reviews of Piper Leather

Interesting topnotes - effervescent aldehydes paired with stuff they're usually not, resulting in the illusion of a sparkling soda flavored with suede, with a pinch of cola and peppery greens for support. As the sparkles fade, it becomes clear that there's vetiver in here doing a lot of the work supporting the suede, making everything kind of green and high-pitched. Given a couple of hours, the leather fades and I'm left with mineralic vetiver and whatever that resin is that smells like a sidewalk after the rain.

I like this - it's masculine in a niche way, but surprisingly understated and wearable. Thumbs up.
04th August, 2020
Stardate 20180509:

A Cuiron clone. Harsher but does justice to Helmut Lang's original.

For those unfamiliar with either, a pepper and frankincense with a touch of sweetness (amber perhaps).

Has a seudy texture but no leather here (or in Cuiron).

Recommended.

09th May, 2018
I was enjoying the top notes of this fragrance, Piper Leather from the house of Illuminum, but the late mid to early base had me contemplating thumbs down with its harsh chemical aspect. In a twist, the late stages of the base were a return to form.
20th July, 2016
The name says it all - pepper and leather.
They're a good match - the dusty, dried wood aspects of pepper and the animal feel of leather. It produces a cool viscerality. The balance of this fragrance is more about the pepper than the leather, so it's more mineral and wood than animal. In the beginning and midnotes, the combination is fairly sensual, and I found myself sniffing my wrist a lot. As it dries down its character gets thinner. When some of the notes fade away, the leather, which was never big or sturdy, joins the pepper, becomes more mineral. The whiffs I get of it along the way still have a dry sensuality so I can't entirely diss this stage. Eventually though, the end becomes simplistic, predominately pepper. The civet never emerged on my skin. The best part isn't long-lasting, and enters the dry down to pepper after a few hours.
This fragrance is primarily about these two elements, so it may feel lacking to those who need more to ring their bell. For those who love the note, Piper Leather will probably feel satisfying and coolly sensual. I need a little more to be able to wear this on me, primarily because I keep seeing it as a masculine scent - I keep wanting to smell this on a man, not myself. Also, I wasn't enchanted with the end, it became too much of a one-note pepper. There are plenty of fragrances now that fade out disappointingly, where the opening and mid note are all you get. I've heard the term front-loading of perfumes - to me Piper Leather is a case in point.
04th April, 2015
I stumbled upon the Illuminum stand in a popular department store in the UK and managed to smell all of their current offerings. For me, one of the standouts was Piper Leather, in fact I bought a bottle (for much less the RRP).
The dry down for this fragrance is lovely - musky, yet fresh and leathery. The leather note is hard to detect and the opening is pretty heavy on the pepper and coriander. I don't own anything that smells like it and I haven't had the chance to sample Cuiron. I wouldn't describe the scent as unisex - it's definitely masculine but non offensive (unlike some leather scents). If you're looking for a distinctive leather scent I would look elsewhere, however if you're after something that is fresh, spicy, masculine and well blended I would definitely give Piper Leather a try. It's perfect as an autumn/winter scent. It's quite versatile and it's one of those fragrances that you will want to reach for often.

Projection/sillage -3/5
Longevity - 3.5/5
Smell - 5/5

18th January, 2014
The coriander is a bit pushy at first, while the proclaimed civet in the base is non-existent. What remains is a solid peppery-resinous-leather accord that is very much along the lines of Helmut Lang's defunct Cuiron. Fans of the latter should be heartened.

Yet, as with Cuiron, I find Piper Leather lacking: in humour, passion, charm, or ingenuity. It smells good, but it doesn't thrill me, and I want something more than just 'dependable'.
21st June, 2012

Add your review of Piper Leather

Shop for Piper Leather products online

Shop for Piper Leather at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Piper Leather

There are no member images of Piper Leather yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]