Jeke (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseSlumberhouse
PerfumerJosh Lobb

About Jeke

Jeke is a masculine fragrance by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Lobb

Jeke fragrance notes

Reviews of Jeke

Note: This review is based on the latest version of Jeke, produced in 2019 and sold in the new bottles which feature a squat, oval-like shape and have the names etched in glass on the front.

Though it's listed in the little blurb describing Jeke, Cade doesn't appear in the note pyramid here, and it's perhaps the most important note in the entire composition. Cade is described as having a dry, smokey smell reminiscent of burning wood and at times even smelling tar-like, with a caustic, phenolic odor. It's exceptionally present in Jeke, a fragrance which smells very much like burning wood mixed with tobacco and patchouli, and a resinous, unsweetened amber. Cade's smokiness is prominent throughout the development of Jeke, and as it evolves it takes on what I can only describe as a distinct saltiness--almost like the salty smell of skin that's dried after having been licked. It's important to note that this doesn't come across to me as a very "dark" smokiness, or a particularly dark scent in general. Despite its smokiness, and the use of tobacco, Jeke isn't in the same dark category as something like Black Tourmaline or Sombra Negra, or CDG's BLACK. I see it more as having paler shades of wood with gray and white smokey whisps swirling through it.

Jeke is one of Slumberhouse's more simple and direct scents. It reminds me in many ways of the very dialed-in Sixes & Sevens, which centered around woods, in comparison to Jeke which centers around cade and tobacco. The tobacco in Jeke is noticeable as a slightly sweet, fragrant, aromatic quality that seems to exist almost separate from the cade (though both notes work well together). It's a true tobacco note, unembellished by spices or sweeter notes, and is more subtle than one might expect it to be. The benzoin begins early, just as a sort of resinous but unsweetened impression, then it emerges more distinctly in the late dry down in Jeke's base, developing some of the vanillic sweetness benzoin is known for while becoming a bit more prominent in comparison to the other notes. The patchouli in Jeke is soft and vague, providing the background with earthiness, but never dominating or really announcing itself at any particular time.

Overall, Jeke gives the impression of smoky woods, which to me always translates to something of a rural, "countryside" appeal, laid back and suited for flannel shirts and days spent outside in the fresh fall air, with evenings reading by the fireplace. It's pretty safe too, in my opinion, with very few challenging notes or "weird" smells peeking through. And as is always the case with Slumberhouse, the ingredients are vivid and pure, demonstrating a naturalness and high quality that are rare, and which the house has become well-known for while establishing an impressive cult following. Performance of Jeke is more in line with the typical extraits, i.e., reserved projection with excellent 12 to 16 hour longevity. I would score Jeke a very nice, 8.5/10. Although it's not among my very favorites of the Slumberhouse line, it's definitely up there in the top third. Jeke is now available as part of the latest Slumberhouse roll out featuring a new bottle design and the re-release of several previous house classics. If you're new to the brand, now is a great time to get involved.

UPDATE: Well call me a monkeyís uncle...it turns out Cade isnít even in the newest iteration of Jeke. Itís something else. I donít know what but itís been confirmed that there is no Cade here. I maintain that it smells like warm, burning wood, and to my experience, Cade, but apparently itís a different substance.
31st December, 2019
This is a LOVE for all you smoke fans out there. Light Tom Ford on fire and he might smell like this(NO ONE WOULD OR SHOULD EVER DO THIS, have you seen Nocturnal Animals??? Worn one of his suits??? Smelled any of his classics perfumes?).

This does share SOME similarity with Tobacco Vanille but the Tobacco in Jeke is definitely on fire, thanks to the heavy hit of Cade(don't worry, the blending is heavenly and it doesn't overpower the sweetness or herbal qualities of this little gem).

I'm a smoke man(HYDE, Patchouli 24). I love this. I want it. I probably won't buy it. Slumberhouse price increase looks to be brutal and I need a bottle of Norne, so Jeke probably loses out.

I'm putting all 10 of my thumbs up(I'm all thumbs).

EDIT ó- itís available now at the lower price point. GO GET IT.
15th August, 2019 (last edited: 31st October, 2019)
powerful , aromatic , full on smell of rich thick juicy tobacco leaf...the tobacco is so intense it is almost animalistic...smoky incense flavoring...this particular tobacco note sort off reminds me of the tobacco in TF Tobacco Vanille , but of course , without the vanilla...something i am picturing John Wayne or Clint Eastwood smelling like in their Westerns..sort of linear...just playing back and forth with tobacco, resin/incense and some smokiness from the cade...this scent satisfies my powerhouse and tobacco urges...heard this was discontinued...if so, what a shame.....this is a heavy hitter in the tobacco fragrance arena...only listed note I don't really catch is the patch...
25th March, 2019
If I had cones of this as an incense, I'd be burning it every day. I'm a huge fan of the cade, in this. Cade always makes me happy.

Very good pipe or cigar tobacco vibe here. Good, no great, patchouli. Very gummy, resinous labdanum stuff. And you've got your benzoin mixed in, adhering to everything. Every note here could be used or found in about every favorite accord / base in a lot of perfumes I love. There is no way, I could not adore Jeke.
10th December, 2018
I love it. This fragrance is eye-opening in its strangeness. I am located in the US and am interested in acquiring a bottle from someone who is less enamored.
23rd January, 2018
Jeke Slumberhouse "FREE THE KRAKEN!"

Kraken is sometimes mistaken for the Cetus of Greek mythology for being similar creatures. The stories of Krakens were founded, as were many other stories of fantastic beings, in a bad observation of the fauna, in the case of the Kraken probably in attacks of giant squids or colossal squids. A good example of this theory are the mermaids, whose heads are the visual records of dudongs and seals from afar, in fog.

The Kraken was a creature as feared by sailors as the fierce sea serpents.

outside that perfume is called the smoke monster, I fully agree.

WORD: Competence.

"Bonfire smoke crackling in a dark rainy forest, next to concentrated candy."

Slumberhouse's Josh Lobb is making a big fuss out there, putting a lot of niche in his pocket and standing out. Also, how can you make scents so original, with life and personality, coming from a perfumer that neither perfumer wants to be is at least great!
I thought Jeke would be hard, weird, repulsive ... Negative gentlemen!
Jeke is wonderful and very original but requires noses experienced in perfumes that impact the wearer in his first spray.
Sit down and talk!
Jeke opens on my skin with dried tobacco leaves with whiskey, giving a very bitter and dark tone extremely realistically leading you to a dark forest, with woods burned and wet potent and the smoke of the campfire in the foreground.In this phase I remember Interlude Amouage of which to me is an aromatic mess with no personality at all.Jeke is much more original, and the smoke from the fire continues for many hours! If you try hard you can hear the wood crackling in the fire! Jeke's high now is already completely sweet, smoky remembering me, the vibes of Tobacco Vanille, Herod etc.
Jekť is very original, but it's not for everyone, I do not know if you're going to like to smell the bonfire smoke crackling in a rain forest, next to concentrated sweets.

Jeke is a swirling bonfire, late in the afternoon, it burns endlessly, smoke literally.

Jeke is a dark black smoke, a black and white photo.
A forest at night, like a campfire flaring smoke at you literally.

4 Scrolls for strong noses!
26th November, 2017