Bombay Bling (2011)

Year of Launch2011

HouseNeela Vermeire
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About Bombay Bling

This joyful creation embodies every aspect of the very modern, colourful, eclectic, esoteric, ecstatic, liberal, happy side of buzzing India, a world economic power, where nothing is to be taken for granted, where the underbelly of the big city combines with the glitter of Bollywood on the vast sandy stretches of Juhu Beach and the Queen’s Necklace.

Fortunes are made and lost on the Bombay stock exchange and gambling dens of Mumbai.

Abandon yourself to the nightlife as dawn breaks over the city. There is nothing like it and there will be nothing like it.

Welcome to a vibrant new India!

Reviews of Bombay Bling

kewart Show all reviews
Oh you exotic, erotic juice!
I want to do a bangra dance when I put this
on. It lifts my spirits and is a fabulous anti-depressant.

Glorious, milky, ripe fruits and stimulating spices whirl together with lush flowers.
I find this a dizzying, frenetic concoction worthy of the rather steep price.I have never visited India but would imagine this as a bottled version of any busy city there.
There are undercurrents of the less savoury smells of a busy town but they add humanity to this perfume and I find them very acceptable and even downright sensuous.

This scent lingers in the memory and in a good way. I miss it when it isn't there.Isn't that what makes a perfume great?
24th February, 2021
Radha and the Gopis celebrating Holi, with accompaniment of music instruments

Holi Festival
06th February, 2018
The opening is strongly fruity & aldehydic. The volume decreases quickly, but the scent takes a little while to change. First the subtle spices creep in, then hints of jasmine & tuberose, before it settles into a heart of smooth, creamy fruit yoghurt, reminiscent of Calvin Klein's Euphoria. Later on, there's woods, vanilla & moist tobacco in the base.
I don't really do fruity, & so this isn't something I'd buy, but as fruity scents go, this is of better quality than most. It's sweet & cheerful, but has a bit of depth, & I rather enjoyed that yoghurty mid phase.
08th May, 2015
Bombay Bling opens with a fruity-floral, aldehydated vanillin accord, slightly spicy too. The freshness provided by the fruity accord is breezy and pleasant, after a while the vanilla-tonka base gets denser and more prominent, also with a white musks roundness, and the rose-floral accord emerges ore clearly, while losing the fruity "freshness" of the beginning. To be honest this smells a bit like a slightly richer and more Oriental version of some mainstream scents like the more recent (and duller) Guerlain's, or Coco Mademoiselle and similar ones - that type of "sophisticated" magazine-inspired gracefulness. So it's pleasant and stuff, but a bit negligeable – plus with a really weak persistence. Not bad, but that price is quite a joke.

20th May, 2014
This opens up on a charming, fizzy note of effervescent mango, lime, and what feels to me to be stone fruit - either plums or peaches. The fruity top notes act together to form the impression of a dollop of jammy, intense fruit puree added to a glass of champagne. It is incredibly buoyant and cheerful. At this stage, I have to say that it is slightly too fruity and too sweet for my taste. What saved this perfume, for me, was the creamy sandalwood and cedar base, which rises up to support and soften the piquant, acidic red and orange fruits up top after a couple of hours. The effect is to mellow and soften the entire composition, making the dry down comfortable and luxurious. Unlike in Shalimar, where the clash of cream in the vanilla and the sharpness of the bergamot (citrus fruit) creates a rather curdled or "rancid butter" effect at the top of the perfume, here, the cream of the base and the bright acid fruit of the top blend smoothly and without incident. Longevity is good, at about eight hours. Projection-wise, this is not a loud scent, but it is not a skin scent either - a pleasant sillage, I would say.

I am glad to have my sample, but I would not shell out the big bucks for it simply because fruity-florals are not something I reach for often, and when I do, I have Jardin Sur Le Nil to fill that gap. However, I would rate Bombay Bling! over that perfume if money were no object, for a few reasons. First, although both scents feature green mango, there is no sourness to Bombay Bling! and I do find the dry down of Sur Le Nil to be quite sour/astringent. Second, although I appreciate Ellena's minimalist style and the watercolor effect he achieves in his Jardin series for Hermes, I think that Neela Vermeire does an even more impressive job of corralling a quite vast array of notes and accords and blending them into a harmonious whole. This would suit a young girl in her twenties who goes to lots of parties and who wants a fruity-floral scent that rises heads and shoulders above the crowd (mind you, this young girl would also have to have a pretty hefty wallet, but we are talking fantasy situations here).
05th May, 2014
BB is bang up to date – dayglo and juicy, this would be pure Bollywood were it not done with such sophistication. Indians love their frooti smells, and here’s a perfume worthy of that love. The mango that opens it makes me go weak in the knees – so light, delicate and fresh, like the rarest varieties which seem more perfume than fruit almost. And to offer support with the rosy siren song of litchi and the tart, green, almost pissy edge of blackcurrant is a masterstroke. Long after these three headliners have blended into each other this creation just keeps smiling and waggling its saucy hips. There are hints of dirt in the mix, like drinking a Mangola on the pavement wet with monsoon rain and wafts of blossom like frangipane and jasmine that breeze through rather than overwhelm.
BB was the least liked of Neela Vermeire’s launch trio – a shame really, as it’s such a happy-go-lucky thing.
Projection is modest.
24th April, 2014

Add your review of Bombay Bling

Shop for Bombay Bling products online

Shop for Bombay Bling at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Bombay Bling

There are no member images of Bombay Bling yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]