De Profundis (2011)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About De Profundis

De Profundis is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of De Profundis

Opens up strong and heavy on the light and almost pastel-ish florals eventually settling down to chrysanthemums and carnations. I had a family member that introduced me to chrysanthemum tea and it has certain notes that remind me of it. Little bit of fresh cut stem green notes and very much a scent of light blooms in spring. Very nice.
07th January, 2020
I own the limited Vapo version of this scent and, like CliareV, can't say that I find it melancholy in any sense.
Quite on the contrary, I like to wear it in late February and March, when the snow is beginning to thaw as the sun is warming. The cool fresh green top notes go with our longing for new greens and give us hope of a renewal of nature. They are like the first millimetre of a yellowish green leave tip when the first buds open in late March, early April.
I get cool flowers, violets mostly, and chrysenthemums on a very slight hint of light wood and just a tiny bit of incense. The perfume has a polite sillage, but it lasts and lasts. I sprayed it, using one spritz, 20 hours ago and I can still smell it clearly and in full complexity.
Aren't flowers meant as a consolation in funerals? A beautiful reminder of how nothing is ever lost, just changes form, a body turning into soil and from soil into plants and new life?
Anyway, this cool, calming, ethereal fragrance that stays with me for a whole day and more is perfect for a work environment in early spring. Lovely!
25th February, 2019
what a disappointment!!! do not deviate from the sweet and floral lutens. it is only very green as the cemetery flowers. but has a too sweet and too feminine base. violet is too strong and even the plum tree and soil tincture and incense are nonexistent. too feminine. for nothing sad. too feminine. great performance. 4/10
27th November, 2017
I used to worship this perfume. It's my pseudo-signature scent for now.

Of all the perfumes I’ve sniffed, this is the only one which gave a perfect presentation of chrysanthemums— the green, slightly pungent funeral flower.

However, I do wish they can take that iris smell away -- that rice powder coated iris which take over the verdant chrysanthemums.

What's left, is abyss. It's dark soil, but not those typical vetiver scent: it doesn't give out even one hint of warmth. So It's fair to say this perfume is cold, but just the opposite of those light/transparent citruse/mint notes.

It's wild chrysanthemum growing in graveyard.
30th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd January, 2019)
Ophelia John Everett Millais 1852
28th July, 2016 (last edited: 14th December, 2016)
The earthy autumnal scent of chrysanthemum is evident to my nose from the start. In the background is that bitter Oud-like wood note that Lutens is so devoted to and which ruins a dozen of his scents for me.

I don't get the carnation, violet or hyacinth as distinct notes. There is a mild sweetish vibe which supports the chrysanthemum, but which is unimpressive.

It is for me another of the non-scents, so light and so ephemeral as to disappear within minutes. This is one that certainly baffles me, given all the positive and in depth reviews here of its effects on emotions.

I give it a neutral as it is an experience lost on me that could be due to intervening factors I'm not aware of. Definitely one that should not be purchased blind.
08th June, 2016