Bijou Romantique (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerMathilde Bijaoui

About Bijou Romantique

Bijou Romantique is a feminine perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mathilde Bijaoui

Bijou Romantique fragrance notes

Reviews of Bijou Romantique

Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange (2012) is as it sounds; a very romantic scent with rich layers of benzoin, patchouli, vanilla, and sweet floral top notes. One of the rare scents marketed with gender in mind, Bijou Romantique still manages to come across mostly unisex to my nose, as anyone a fan of rich oriental notes smoothed over with classic French floral designs could wear this, and likewise feels as if it could belong in the Chanel Les Exclusifs range due to how it vibes on skin. Those who know this house will also know it is among the most irreverent niche brands in existence, a brand after my own heart really, in spite of me not paying very much attention to it admittedly due to how hard it is to sample. Still, this is a fun scent from a fun house that I don't regret trying at all, and this experience tells me that I have wrongfully slept on this "infamous" niche outfit for too long before getting to it.

The opening is bergamot and pink pepper with something that feels like lavender to my nose, twisted up with a boozy note that then falls into a lemon creaminess. Musky ylang-ylang tap dances with powdery iris in the heart to create that "old Guerlain" feel which is so important to fans of classic perfumery, and it is here in spades with a claimed coconut note that I don't immediately sense, but can find implied if I look deep. The honeyed benzoin is the star player beyond this, with a beefy clary sage note acting in the role of tonka to add more unisex mustiness to the formula, although sweet vanilla, amber, patchouli, and vetiver do the rest of the talking further down. In the end, this is one sandalwood note away from being something like Caswell-Massey Tricorn (1941) and that's pretty neat; Mathilde Bijaoui does good work here. Wear time is 10 hours, and sillage is what you might expect, plus I wouldn't wear this in high heat because it has a style that could severly cloy in any appreciable humidity.

A warm, rich, seemingly exclusive scent for romance and quiet cool evenings, Bijou Romantique does the job it is assigned by smelling like an early 20th century romance character yearning for their lover to return home, gold locket with photo in hand. Due to the aromatic heft, a man or someone of any gender could really pull this off, just the same as they could the aformentioned Tricorn, or Guerlain Shalimar (1925) for that matter. This is a perfume out of time seemingly on purpose, only slightly hobbled by IFRA and materials availability in what it might otherwise have, but smells extremely high quality. The usual quirky anti-establishment anti-snobbery themes from Etat Libre d'Orange are on the down-low here, and what you are given instead is a fairly-priced long-lasting niche fragrance for fans of floral ambers. Not the most unique thing in the world, but considering the rest of this brand's crazy output, it probably doesn't need to be either. Thumbs up
11th June, 2021

Imagine walking alone a beach twilight,it is still warm and you are smelling the sea and the flowers along your beach walk.all this together with the scents from the restaurants next to you. someone might be smoking a cigar and people are eating lovely meals and drinking wine.there is a aromatic scent from citrus, balanced by the powdery iris,the sensual vanilla and a mellow amber.it does contain a smoky streak,as well as a boozy quality.suitable to a great gatsby themed summer wedding. sequin dress,bling head-peace, feather boa,silver shoes and all.
26th February, 2021
I gave this a wearing given that this might be considered unisex by some but I will have to agree with the feminine designation.

At its heart, this is a powdery, sugar vanilla scent that’s just too soft for me to pull off. It’s actually a nice scent that smells good and is enjoyable to sniff while wearing but I’d rather smell this on a woman.

There’s a heaviness to it that feels more mature to me but I don’t dare put an age limit on it.

Performance is very decent with good projection during the first few hours and longevity into the 8-9 hour range.
10th December, 2018
Bergamot, tart lemon, pink pepper, ylang, with a high note of iris, right from the start. Turns bitter. I think the sage and vetiver clash here, for my nose. Bitterness fades. A touch of coconut and more iris develop. Vetiver becomes fresher, on its own. Vanilla and benzoin create an ambery base.

3 stars.
20th November, 2018
I enjoyed the first hour of wearing Bijou Romantique, but it turned into a two hours of 'meh' afterwards. Bijou Romantique had very little staying power on me and by the fourth hours it was completely gone, even on the areas I spritz heavily.

It had a very chocolate-gourmand note, and with the coconut reminds me of a Mounds bar with a splash of powder and a twist of lemon at first. I'm not a fan of the heavy syrupy sweet fragrances, but at least it had a nice dry down at the end. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.
18th April, 2017
lex Show all reviews
test drove this the other morning and this juice started off groovy...i get the pink pepper, bergamot, and flower note..this starts to relax to a light vanilla base.. doesnt turn my head or make me wanna ask what are you wearing
21st December, 2016

Add your review of Bijou Romantique

Shop for Bijou Romantique products online

Shop for Bijou Romantique at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Bijou Romantique

There are no member images of Bijou Romantique yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]