Artisan Black (2010)

PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchElizabeth Arden Inc

About Artisan Black

Artisan Black is a masculine fragrance by John Varvatos. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Reviews of Artisan Black

This starts out like Artisan Acqua/Blu with citruses and my nose gets a slight melon vibe too then slowly transitions through some fresh but slightly warm flowers. This is so smooth to me. I wish it was a regular, not limited. Love it.
22nd February, 2020 (last edited: 15th April, 2020)
It has a citrusy-sweet opening with a bitter/sour, woody, leather background. It's definitely not Aventus but maybe bears a resemblance in a watered-down, and then sent through a filter kind of way. Anyway, my sample is from Scentsplit, so it seems legit. Wouldn't be the first time my nose didn't agree with others. It smells more generic on skin but much nicer on clothes. Weird. Also, there are so many notes listed, it's hard to tell what direction it's supposed to go.

Performance isn't great but seems good enough for work or indoor situations. Projection comes and goes, kinda sneaky. Longevity is around 6-7 hours, helps if you spray on clothes. That rule is good for the smell and performance.

16th December, 2019
Smells nice enough when you apply it. But, 15 minutes later and pfffft! Gone. Too bad. I sort of like it for the first 5 minutes until it fades. This is a remarkable achievement. How can any scent fade so quickly?
09th February, 2017
Artisan Black is a woody, fresh cologne suitable for warmer weather. You'd probably be shocked by looking at the olfactory pyramid but the scent itself is actually not complex at all and pretty linear.

It starts with a fresh and dry blast of blood orange, citrus and ginger. Then, at the blink of an eye, this spicy and watery opening turns darker and dusty thanks to the backing of the woody and masculine basenotes such as patchouli and vetiver and a synthetic musky accord.

Although the entire process more or less smells very synthetic, I'm impressed with the overall offering of Artisan Black compared to its price. It's a fresh, calm and balsamic smell with a somewhat mysterious character.

However, on the down side I can probably safely claim that you'll get more longevity and sillage out of spraying lemonade on your skin. Yes, they're that bad. Legendary bad, I should say.

If you're on the fence about this one, I'd say skip... Unless you're a collector who's into flawed gems.

Longevity: ~1 hour
Sillage: Almost non-existent
16th February, 2016
Well, I got the gift set with a 125ml bottle and an after shave lotion for $30, so I should be gleeful. It was a semi-blind buy(i had bought a few months before a set of 5 little john varvatos travel bottles...but at that time of spotting this deal, i couldn't recall which one(s) I liked. I right off the bat knew I liked the normal john varvatos one, and didn't like artisan. This smells both compelling, boring and sickening at once...also similar in that grossness to versace dreamer. How? Which note? Any? LOL. Buy it CHEAPER!
15th February, 2016
John Varvatos Artisan Black is mainly a citrus scent with some smaller supporting elements. A very pleasant ensemble of orange, lemon, and (seemingly) grapefruit, it's an agreeable warm weather scent. Opening with a mix of citrus and a generic vegetable smell, fading into a musky citrus dry down. The note list is extensive and I admit that I don't get nearly that much out of it, just something more generic and simple.

Projection is nice at the opening but it fades quickly to a skin scent, but a pleasant skin scent.

$32 for 125ml on FragranceNet isn't a bad deal if you enjoy the scent--it's one I wanted to own, as it feels a generic citrus void that's missing elsewhere.

6 out of 10
22nd January, 2016

Add your review of Artisan Black

Member images of Artisan Black

There are no member images of Artisan Black yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]