Luna Rossa (2012)

HousePrada
PerfumerDaniela Andrier
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group > Puig Prestige Beauty Brands

About Luna Rossa

Luna Rossa is a masculine fragrance by Prada. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Daniela Andrier

Luna Rossa fragrance notes

Reviews of Luna Rossa

rbaker Show all reviews
A fresh crisp orange with a whiff of bergamot greet me in the opening blast, followed soon by a lavender that is bright and uplifting.

The top notes merge with the drydown that starts very soon on me, dominated by a spearmint that takes on that takes on ozonic characteristics with whiffs of saltiness also present at times. The bright nature of the mix is preserved so far.

The base is a bland ambery concoction of ambroxan and ambrette, with touches of cashmeran adding to the formulaic and superficial character that can be expected from these components.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and six hours of longevity on ma skin.

The opening of this summery scent, which is named after a sailing team, is pleasant and this continues into the heart note. The base is a formulaic, synthetic and generic trough of boredom, like a wood-coloured plastic table compared to a real wood product. Overall 2.75/5
02nd January, 2021
Prickly tobacco / skeletal fougère.

Full sample
06th November, 2020
The very first fragrance I ever purchased by Prada and I this was the one that ultimately influenced me to purchase Prada L'Homme. I haven't been let down on either purchase. I smelled this at Dillard's one day and I loved it. If you can utilize the note of Lavender well, you've got me hooked. I sniffed it and was immediately at the checkout counter asking for it. I got into my car, tore the box open, and sprayed like 3 sprays on me. Here's my take on it:

The Scent: When I first spray it on, I'm hit with citrus but that quickly fades away to introduce the star of the show - Lavender. This fragrance is all about the Lavender. That's primarily what you'll get throughout the life of the fragrance. It is very linear, meaning it does not change much at all. I get a little bit of the mint, but it does not last long. It's a lavender/amber vibe. Overall, I like what they did with the scent. Great work.
Rating: 8/10

Projection: Luna Rossa is not a loud fragrance. It does project, but it's not up there with the likes of Nasomatto, Profumum Roma, or Montale. If I had to grade it, I would give it a B+. Better than average.
Rating: 6/10

Longevity: 6-8 hours. I've had a couple of wearings that it's lasted about 9 hours but that was the best I've gotten from it. I have found that it lasts longer in the warmer months. Looking at the note breakdown, I can see how it would be more effective in the warmer months. 6-8 hours is what you would come to expect from a designer fragrance.
Rating: 8/10

Versatility: This stuff is versatile. I have worn it to work, casual, on a date, to basketball games, and to the gym. It is a very non-offensive scent that works just about anywhere you can imagine.
Rating: 10/10

Final Rating: 8/10. Prada Luna Rossa is a good designer scent. I'd argue and say it's one of the best releases in the past 3-5 years. Luna Rossa probably won't be reached for as much, especially with everyone talking about L'Homme. With so many flankers to Luna Rossa out there, I would suggest if someone is new to the fragrance world, I would recommend smelling Luna Rossa before smelling the flankers. Definitely give it a try and let me know how it works for you!
08th January, 2019
The original that set the stage for the future, very enjoyable flankers that I tend to like better!

On its own merits, Prada's Luna Rossa is a love-it or hate-it scent for sure. Some may find it to be medicinal and odd, others will love its bright spicy-herbal-sweet goodness.

I've enjoyed wearing Luna Rossa several times before the Sport edition came on the scene, which took the "gotta wear it" baton for a long, long time thereafter for me. The Extreme version was a bit much for me, and I stayed away from it. Then the Eau Sport took my breath away with its marine appeal, Carbon with its metal-sweet oddity that actually works, and the Black version which is okay but not good enough to supplant my faves.

With all those choices being offered by Prada, there is definitely a variant of the Luna Rossa scent if that's the way you want to go.
02nd October, 2018
People in the fragrance community seem to forget Prada Luna Rossa (2012), and although I find that to be something of a shame, I can also understand why. Bleu de Chanel (2010) quickly became the Cool Water (1988) for the $100k+ annual income tech br0, and set a precedent in the perfume industry with it's first notable use of ambroxan, a synthetic molecule that was cheaper, more versatile, and less overbearing than the number of composite ingredients that stood in for real ambergris, a staple base style in perfumery. Sauvage Christian Dior (2015) would be the next big leap in that molecule's use in a "fresh" masculine, but in the years between, Prada quietly released Luna Rossa, which has it's fans, but didn't set a standard like Bleu de Chanel, nor stirred up controversy like Sauvage. The name for the scent comes from the name of the sailboat racing team (itself meaning "Red Moon") which participates in the American Cup yearly. Oddly, Luna Rossa isn't very aquatic or marine, just citric, bitter and minty, so I think this nomenclature was more a nod than an actual attempted aesthetic with the scent, especially with the bottle's steel packaging reminiscent of an old condenser microphone used in the 1940's (changed in 2015 to brushed aluminum that matched Luna Rossa Sport). The best way to describe Luna Rossa without going in depth, is to say it rests somewhere between the light 90's tobacco scents such as Versace The Dreamer (1996), and the powdery fresh fougères like Azzaro Chrome (1996), but remove the iris and tobacco from the former, plus the metallic elements from the latter, adding mint to make a clean, inoffensive scent that's really a 2010's take on a 90's trope. Luna Rossa won't light anyone on fire, but I don't think it's meant to either, and against my usual disdain for apologetic scents, I actually like it. More on that later.

Luna Rossa opens with bergamot, bitter orange, and a fairly prominent lavender. Like Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (1989) provided a traditional fougère-like counterpart to the dihydromyrcenol/linalool/calone shimmer of Cool Water, Luna Rossa provides a more traditional lavender/mint wet shaving take on the budding "ambroxan freshie" category created by Bleu de Chanel, but unlike Eternity for Men, didn't become bigger than it's predecessor because Prada doesn't seem to have the advertising power of other houses. The traditional citric lavender fougère opening is definitely more tart than any of the classic entries in this style, hence the call-back to stuff like Versace the Dreamer, which is pretty crisp too until its iris and tobacco kick in. Luna Rossa doesn't have said iris and tobacco, so it instead goes from the bitter opening to sage and herbal spearmint, both of which add a sort of "after shave" tone to Luna Rossa, with green and cool elements. If only Luna Rossa had an actual menthol note, it would be a good modern take on Skin Bracer (1931). The base is naturally where ambrette and the ambroxan molecule lives, but the faux-ambergris note is never really allowed to get animalic at all thanks to a powdery counter note that brings the attachment to the aforementioned Chrome but without being annoying in a "trying to hard to be nostalgic with Americana" way due to it's lack of a metal note and heavy-handed dusty floral top. Luna Rossa sits somewhere between formal and casual with it's easy-going citrus opening and formal powdery finish, and is lively enough to see you through a day running around town, but also buttoned up enough for a sit-down dinner later that evening. Granted, I don't think this "ambroxan barbershop fougère" has any legs to stand on romantically, nor in a gym/active setting, but as a work scent that can also be a play scent, I appreciate the versatility it's innocuous nature affords.

The main reason why this gets a thumbs up for me, is Luna Rossa proves to be a generalist that straddles a few decades, giving nods to the "beige age" 90's with it's soft and pillowy lavender, but has the citric tartness of a 2000's freshie, the coolness of mid-century mint colognes, and the ambroxan warmth of the 2010's, but doesn't phone in it's dry down like the later Yves Saint Laurent Y for men (2017), which is so formulaic it almost feels composed by algorithm. indeed, Daniela Andrier is the house perfumer for Prada at this point, as she made Infusion d'Iris and Infusion d'Homme (2007) plus every major release by the house in recent memory, so she put the same "clean stately yet inexplicably interesting" stamp on this as she has many modern Prada scents in this vein. I feel it is overlooked mostly because coming out even two years after Bleu de Chanel is still very much living in the shadow of the colossus, and it's lack of controversy makes for a poor subject of research or trial in a hobbyist community always looking for the next new (or lost vintage) "distinction juice" to brag about owning/wearing. That's the biggest problem with Luna Rossa: saying you wear it won't get tomatoes thrown at you like it will if you list Y by Yves Saint Laurent, nor will it get you praise for walking off the beaten path or digging up some rare historic gem. Likewise, it won't get you ass-pats for "leveling up your game" into a niche or luxe brand. It's just Prada, and it's just good, and that is not good enough to really talk about in the online community. Oh well, Prada's masculine lines have never really struck me as particularly engaging anyway, just solid if utilitarian, unlike their literally candy-themed feminines. Thumbs up.
26th August, 2018 (last edited: 11th December, 2020)
Very light, clean and somewhat powdery, this lavender scent is modern but the performance is very weak.

I think I would like it better if it had better performance because it smells nice while you can smell it but seems to be gone after 2-3 hours. That makes it hard to justify wearing unless you'll be reapplying all day or just need to smell nice and clean for a couple hours. Sorry, but this seems to get over-powered by scented deodorant.

That said, it does seem to come back in tiny wafts throughout the day. Still weak projection but it lingers for 6-7 hours.
21st May, 2018

Add your review of Luna Rossa

Shop for Luna Rossa products online

Shop for Luna Rossa at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Luna Rossa

There are no member images of Luna Rossa yet. Why not be the first?