Herod (2012)

Herod information

Year of Launch2012

HouseParfums de Marly

About Herod

Herod is a masculine fragrance by Parfums de Marly. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Herod

Test wearing from a 5 ml decant -

I wouldn't categorize this as a masculine tobacco frag. For me it is just another overpriced unisex, sweet, honey, tobacco, blah blah blah...add it to the long list of frags riding the coat tails of Tobacco Vanille. I am a huge tobacco fan, so this has been on my list for a test drive. No doubt this will garner many compliments, so if that is your goal, go for it.
2 stars.
14th September, 2020
A middle-ground sweet tobacco fragrance, both in quality and composition, offering a step-up for those who want a little more tobacco and niche-y flair than that offered in the likes of Spicebomb.

To me, it's closer to Chergui than just about anything else (Chergui both more vivid and more cloying than Herod, though they're both on the "too sweet" side of things for me), but without the not-very-mainstream hay note. So what you get is an ambient honey-sweet fog without much definition. Herod needs a stronger central accord to distinguish itself in the sweet tobacco category, because otherwise it feels like a Rorschach blot in which you can glimpse many other tobacco fragrances but lacks identity of its own.
26th March, 2020
What to say about this one. At first, smells similar to Reyane Wild Insurrection II and Mugler Pure Havane.

Contrary to those, it does morph, away from gourmand, rolling tobacco, honey sweetness and liquor into a more classical, cigar like tobacco with myrrh and a mild, but still churchy incense.

In a late stage an ambery cypress comes in, and a surprising heavy black vanilla deep down below. The cigar note that I felt could get troublesome because it's quite pungent, diminishes just enough at just the right time. Crazy.

Even later you get a fruity note, likely the "iso E super". Then a nice animalic musk.

I was not expecting that this late so many notes could still pop up. For me this is the first scent ever that does this. Like some chemist was hired and engineered these unveiling processes into Herod. Just based on that alone, it's already a positive from me.

I wonder if now this vetiver that I'm getting over half an hour in will really be the final note to come out?

01st February, 2020
The opening of Herod is really nice, quite similar to TV but with a bit of that nondescript PdM DNA. I've tried Layton and Oajan and there is a commonality among the three that I find hard to pin down. The opening also projects strongly. I put a single spritz on my wrist at first before a full wearing and even that was still giving me strong wafts.

Sadly, that strength only lasts a couple hours on me. It quickly quiets down and the scent morphs a little bit. At the 2.5 hour mark it starts to smell more like a very soft version of MM's Jazz Club. For some that may be a plus. Jazz Club grossed me out however, and while not 100% the same, this reminds me too closely of the things I don't like about it.

People call PdM a glorified clone house. And in sense they're right with Herod. It's simultaneously a clone of two well-liked tobacco scents. They do each half justice, and it ends up a nice scent on its own terms. But for the price, I'd rather just have a small bottle of TV.
17th December, 2019
This is a gorgeous woodsy vanilla. The tobacco is less full-on than Tobacco Vanille - TV is a rich spicy vanilla pipe tobacco but Herod is at another level in terms of interest and complexity with the floral notes. Plus, the tobacco is less old-man-ish and intense, and more subtle. Herod is expensive but it’s an outstanding winter scent - it’s interesting enough to wear several days in a row, but not so over powering you get overwhelmed and sick of it. Definitely one of my all time favourites and a top ten.
27th January, 2019 (last edited: 22nd February, 2019)
ad_scott Show all reviews
I enjoy this fragrance more than Tobacco Vanille. Herod is like a 50/50 mixture of Tobacco Vanille and 24 Gold EDT. The opening to mid is smooth vanilla pipe tobacco mixed with gourmand fruits (cherries and raspberries) packed in a luxury leather pouch! Herod’s dry down is almost identical to Eau des Baux: dry and peppery with cinnamon. Longevity, sillage and projection seem modest, not as boorish as 24 Gold. Herod earns a place in my top 5.
11th November, 2018 (last edited: 10th January, 2019)

Add your review of Herod

Shop for Herod products online

Shop for Herod at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Herod

There are no member images of Herod yet. Why not be the first?