Oud Silk Mood (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseMaison Francis Kurkdjian
PerfumerFrancis Kurkdjian

About Oud Silk Mood

Oud Silk Mood is a shared / unisex perfume by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Francis Kurkdjian

Reviews of Oud Silk Mood

This is my secret weapon. It's my #1 most complimented fragrance from any house. I think it is the unique combination of rose and oud that creates it, but honestly I can't fully describe how good it is.

That being said, with great power comes great responsibility. It has a learning curve to it, and you need to know exactly how much to apply. Too much and it will be incredibly overpowering and feels like you're bathing in it (hence some of the negative reviews). But too little and it won't impress you either. I have tried all of the MFK Oud line and this one is by far the best, and the best overall oud frag from any house in my opinion. I would take it over Creed's oud as well. It's my favorite of the MFK masculine fragrances. The only MFK frag I like more is Baccarat, but only when my wife wears it because I find baccarat too feminine on me.

Oud Silk Mood is very powerful and only 2-3 medium sprays is all I need and all I would recommend. It reacts with my body heat to create the magic. I think it works best in fall/winter months and it's not something I would wear on hot days, because it would become too rich and cloying in that climate.

As I said, this is my most compliment-getting frag. I work in an office environment and one time last winter I was in a medium sized conference room with the heat turned up too high. I started to exude this fragrance as I warmed up, to the point where I became very self conscious actually, because I was afraid it was too overpowering and wondering if it would bother people. Then almost immediately one of my coworkers across the table announced to the group, "Wow, someone smells R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S-L-Y good!" and then the entire room of 10 people continued talking about how good it smelled in the conference room, until it was determined it was coming from me. One time I applied 3 sprays of Silk Mood at 7am in the morning, and then received multiple compliments at the gym at 6pm that night. Gym compliments are the holy grail for me because if you apply a frag and then hit the gym, it can easily offend people and make them upset, and you can even receive insults from it.

The best part of this scent is that it's something I enjoy wearing as much as other people enjoy it on me. It's a rare combination of scent, performance, and universal appeal. I don't know if it is just my body chemistry but I would definitely suggest giving this one a try. I have almost reached the end of my bottle and will promptly order a second. It could easily be a signature scent, at least for part of the year.
25th May, 2020
An authentic masterpiece, the most seductive material in my collection. The rose, deep, black, grave, sinks into the strength of the oud with the silk vanilla of a sumptuous curtain, covering the secrets of a consummation of forbidden love. The particularity of this perfume, that for which it is distinguished from any other, is its "density": the skin is covered with a thick, almost palpable layer of scarlet fabrics and funereal exhalations of ripe rose.
Its simplicity, its imperturbable persistence (the aroma does not advance, does not recede, does not change in any way from its beginning) contribute to create an animal aurea of pure eroticism: baroque, exultant, romantic, without any evocation, without any refinement beyond those who reserve the wise charm of lust to the evocation of drunken sensuality (mature sensuality, but completely self-abnegated by the drunkenness of a bleeding perfume of criminal passion).
An incomparable piece of olfactory art that awakens impulses that she herself sleeps.
14th October, 2018
Lovely rose, oud, chamomile, and papyrus combination. Lovely but, not overly memorable.
10th December, 2017
I'm giving it thumbs up b/c I like this type of fragrance. Having said that, the rose is gorgeous, but the oud is of the infamous "Urinal Cake" variety. This gives a sharpness that other reviewers have called Citronella-like. It could be great if the sharp urinal cake oud was replaced with a more animalic oud.

UPDATE: Drydown is much better, rose and stone dust. Very dry
12th July, 2017 (last edited: 13th July, 2017)
Stardate 20170630:

A typical oud rose combo of its era. There is a sour note like citronella candles - like in Baruti ouds(nooud). It is perhaps a note in the synthetic oud they both use.
I am a sucker for well balanced rose-oud. This one is. Development is good and it gets much smoother with time. There are others that are similar and cheaper - Tiziana Gold Rose Oud, Yurman Limited edition, nut OSM has its own charm.
This is perhaps the best from this line (I have not tried oud cashmere mood so can't be 100% sure)

30th June, 2017
What Oud Silk Mood has to do with silk, I have no idea. This stuff is harsh. It lunges aggressively out of the bottle with searing notes of metal, rubber, smoke, and oh yeah, some thin and medicinal oud and rose in the background.

About 10 minutes after I applied it for the first time, my wife said, "What the hell are you wearing?! It's so strong I can *taste* it." I agree; it sticks in your nose and leaves a lingering taste of pennies on the tongue for about 30 minutes.

It does settle down a little bit as we enter the heart, but I still fail to see this is as a rose and oud dominant scent. The primary accord is arid like an industrial dryer: a papery (papyrus?), herbal (burnt chamomile?) accord with a backbone of, oh I don't know, but the word "acid" comes to mind. I can imagine a paper manufacturing facility smelling something like this. There's a twist of medicinal woody oud in there somewhere, and really very little rose to speak of.

In summary, I find it aggressive and unpleasant throughout.
28th April, 2017