Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle (2013)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle information

Year of Launch2013

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerBruno Jovanovic
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bruno Jovanovic

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle fragrance notes

Reviews of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

A luxurious rendition of a - to me - very spicy woody gently gourmand perfume, without any of the crass maltol can bring. I love the arguments about the quality of Malle's collection being lessened by the partnership with Lauder, personally I thought it was a clever move to protect his brand from the ravages of the perfume sensors, in hope for the industry lobbying successfully at some stage to protect it self from them, and the bleak future of niche luxury perfumery, the David & Goliath fight may not end up in this arena in quite the same way as in the biblical allegory, the rising cost of ingredients both natural and synthetic is never ending for various reasons and the availability to smaller houses also more challenging every year, and now Covid exasperating those issues and footfall challenges have to make you wonder how many small houses are already in line for the chopping block.
So is there Mysore sandalo in here? my bottle is ancient as it was purchased on launch, so yes I would trust that it has, do the newer (dear I mention the dreaded B word) batches post Lauder? well considering the ethical difficulties now entwined with the glorious Indian wood I would imagine that they may have had to go a to a different country to secure it as many other houses have done too, and I also feel certain it has nothing to do with bottom line profit but ethical and responsible sourcing, so all the doubters and conspiracy theorists please take off the tin hats, sadly life is much duller and logical than is sometimes imagined! The quality of the E.D.P. collection remains outstanding - within the censorship parameters.
Anyway this is simply perfect for a chilly English autumn Sunday, cosy, warm and glam, and now pouring a glass of Glen Garioch to go with...
11th October, 2020
An adult gourmand-woody, with the emphasis on the sweet wood notes. There is a definite confectionary aspect due to ethyl maltose, but it is a little abstract and gradually subsides. The woody notes are an amalgamation of sandalwood (not Mysore), guaiac wood, patchouli fused together with vanilla. There is a creamy (but not Mysore sandalwood creamy), milky aspect that's persistent throughout. Opening note of saffron with touches of other indiscernible spices provide an interesting counterpoint to the ethyl maltose, and the woods/vanilla accord that develops later. There is a bit of development in the first one or two hours, and thereafter it is linear, with an accord of sandalwood, guaiac wood and vanilla. This dry-down is warm, cosy and comforting. It is reasonably diffusive on skin with adequate sillage, and excellent duration at over eight hours. I find the dry-down to be a tad unexciting at times, which more of a reflection of my personal taste. It reminds me of Jeux de Peau and Petits Papiers in passing, and the sweet gourmand aspects in Music for a While released later are vaguely similar. Fans of Angel / Angel Men might also find much to love here. A very refined essay on the gourmand-woods genre (with the focus eventually on the woods) that doesn't push boundaries, but the quality and execution are top notch.

30th December, 2019
Dries Van Noten by FM , Wow, What a wonderfully crafted sandalwood and vanilla bomb right from the get go....almost bordering on headache strong with 1 spray to the neck and 1 spray to the wrist. Go light on the trigger or you will most certainly choke others out. This feels very sensual and a great evening scent for nights cuddled up with your significant other or headed for a night out with a nice sweater and scarf while a cold breeze nips at your neck. I just feel comfortable wrapped and enveloped in this gentle and decedent creation. Has similar attributes to MFK's Oud Extrait version which also has a heavy dose of saffron in it. Definitely one to check out for these cooler days ahead of us but also keep in mind that at $230/50ml or $330/100ml this does not come cheap. Bruno Jovanovic who also created Monsieur really brings a heavy hand to his creations in terms of how loud his fragrances can be, excellent work sir!!!
31st October, 2019 (last edited: 03rd November, 2019)
Opens heavy but settles into a warm vanilla, cinnamon, apple and pear crumble just out of the oven with syrupy juice bubbling up through the crust. Smelling like a calorie laden filling and tasty desert in my books skews it from masculine to feminine.
Longevity could be an issue as it dissipates as rapidly as the pie would cool down. Perhaps that is the 'live art' part of it. Shame its at odds with the consumer. and suggests the arrogance of art for arts sake. That said its up to you whether you buy it.
I may well come back to you on this and update after I have field tested it!

For the moment:

Fragrance: 7/10
Projection: 7/10
Longevity: 6/10
31st July, 2019
Beautiful haunting fragrance that for me embodies a mysterious winter/spring evening wandering around London.

I tried it in Libertys soon after it was launched a few years ago and I still have the lovely memories of that day (window shopping in Regent Street, dining in Soho & catching a train back home at Euston).

The blend of spicy notes & jasmine with vanilla is beautiful resulting in a dark chocolate accord laced in liquor.

I have now bought the fragrance to relive those wonderful memories...

Fantastic longevity!

26th March, 2019
This scent has reminded me of strange things like warm escalators in the summer that people have spilled carbonated drinks on and left pieces of candy bars in, stuff that now lubricate the metal forever. Warm black plastic bag with banana peel is another thing that came to mind at some point. Those things weren't bad to my mind when I thought of them.

When I initially wore this for the first tens of times I found it more pleasant and approachable than I do now on my 50th wear or so. I found this to be quite an interesting, comforting, sweet, and slightly plastic smell.

The more times I wear this the more I notice the dry and dusty smell - the less I notice the creaminess, the less I notice the pleasant sweetness, and I no longer find much signs of fruitiness. The scent has become a mostly sterile, plastic, dusty and sweet thing. I start to find this fragrance more challenging to wear and less of a comfort scent these days.

For a more approachable scent from Malle I'd go with 'Dans Tes Bras' or, if it is summer, 'Music For A While'. I also find those more interesting to sniff - although I will admit Music For A While is still my most recent Malle purchase.

Dries van Noten par Frederic Malle is something I'd pick to contrast with a wet autumn day.
28th January, 2019 (last edited: 02nd February, 2019)

Add your review of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle