Shanghai Lily (2013)

HouseTom Ford
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Shanghai Lily

Shanghai Lily is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu

Reviews of Shanghai Lily

This fragrance is gorgeous.

It is, however, far from unisex. It is definitely a feminine scent. I still wear it though because that's never much mattered to me. I would suggest grabbing a sample to try if that concerns you.

I'm a little bewildered that previous reviewers have stated that this is a skin scent. I think that's folly. I can only imagine that it's a case of nose blindness because Shanghai Lily is strong, lasts for ages and simply radiates off of my skin. A shot to each elbow pit and I am stinking for hours and hours.

I give this bonus points for the name, which I presume, though I've not read anything to confirm, is named after the final number, Shanghai Lil, in the 1933 musical classic, Footlight Parade. One of my favourites!

"I've been looking high and I've been looking low. Looking for my Shanghai Lil..."

Grab a bottle while you can.

20th October, 2020 (last edited: 25th November, 2020)
Sweet, jammy on top. Moves into a spiced mode. Then it shifts into floral gear. Jasmine, tuberose, and lily show me their charms first. Clove is sprinkled over top. A little violet face peers up at me, winking.

The flowers begin to blur together after time. A small amount of bitterness appears. The base notes are honey-like, a light greenness, faint wood, and a tad animalic. The base deepens a bit as it wears on. It resembles a sweet amber. Overall this is a lovely floriental. It has a vanilla-lily thing going on, interspersed with the amberish base. I like this one.
13th March, 2019
Floral with light spices, it was a little too feminine for me. The ladies, on the other hand will really enjoy this. Just couldn't pull this one off.
18th August, 2016 (last edited: 25th October, 2016)
Generic floral and spices, longevity and projection are below average.
05th July, 2016
Even though I speculated Shanghai Lily would lean feminine (and that's certainly the case), I'm always inclined to try a Tom Ford Private Blend EDP when given the chance, and I'm glad I did. SL is a very pleasant floral mix with some vanilla and limited spicy elements that seems to work as a unisex option, at least in my case. Year-round potential, it only becomes slightly powdery in the dry down so it retains some of the freshness when the sweetness of the vanilla in the dry down emerges, as well.

Projection and longevity are a little under the average that I'm used to from most of the lighter/fresher TF PBs. While a lovely floral, SL is dense enough that it could work both in cold and warm weather. A nice try if you appreciate a floral that leans slightly feminine but that I would argue is unisex.

7 out of 10
27th August, 2015
From the outset, this is a very muted fragrance; l have to put my nose right up to my arm to even smell the top notes, & l agree with the reviews that use the word "ephemeral" to describe it. l get a woody floral accord, joined after a while by a little smoke, some vanilla, & later vetiver. l get very little in the way of floral notes, except for maybe some rose, until around four hours in when a salty lily finally appears, along with a wisp of incense. All that's left after five hours is a trace of woods, before it fades out altogether. Nothing resinous or animalic here.
This one held so much promise for me, but it was so frustratingly faint on my skin that it was like straining to identify a tune being played on a distant radio. lf the volume were cranked way up, l would probably enjoy it a lot more.
01st August, 2014

Add your review of Shanghai Lily

Shop for Shanghai Lily products online

Shop for Shanghai Lily at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Shanghai Lily

There are no member images of Shanghai Lily yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]

Features relating to Shanghai Lily