Shanghai Lily (2013)

HouseTom Ford
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Shanghai Lily

Shanghai Lily is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu

Reviews of Shanghai Lily

Sweet, jammy on top. Moves into a spiced mode. Then it shifts into floral gear. Jasmine, tuberose, and lily show me their charms first. Clove is sprinkled over top. A little violet face peers up at me, winking.

The flowers begin to blur together after time. A small amount of bitterness appears. The base notes are honey-like, a light greenness, faint wood, and a tad animalic. The base deepens a bit as it wears on. It resembles a sweet amber. Overall this is a lovely floriental. It has a vanilla-lily thing going on, interspersed with the amberish base. I like this one.
13th March, 2019
Floral with light spices, it was a little too feminine for me. The ladies, on the other hand will really enjoy this. Just couldn't pull this one off.
18th August, 2016 (last edited: 25th October, 2016)
Generic floral and spices, longevity and projection are below average.
05th July, 2016
Even though I speculated Shanghai Lily would lean feminine (and that's certainly the case), I'm always inclined to try a Tom Ford Private Blend EDP when given the chance, and I'm glad I did. SL is a very pleasant floral mix with some vanilla and limited spicy elements that seems to work as a unisex option, at least in my case. Year-round potential, it only becomes slightly powdery in the dry down so it retains some of the freshness when the sweetness of the vanilla in the dry down emerges, as well.

Projection and longevity are a little under the average that I'm used to from most of the lighter/fresher TF PBs. While a lovely floral, SL is dense enough that it could work both in cold and warm weather. A nice try if you appreciate a floral that leans slightly feminine but that I would argue is unisex.

7 out of 10
27th August, 2015
From the outset, this is a very muted fragrance; l have to put my nose right up to my arm to even smell the top notes, & l agree with the reviews that use the word "ephemeral" to describe it. l get a woody floral accord, joined after a while by a little smoke, some vanilla, & later vetiver. l get very little in the way of floral notes, except for maybe some rose, until around four hours in when a salty lily finally appears, along with a wisp of incense. All that's left after five hours is a trace of woods, before it fades out altogether. Nothing resinous or animalic here.
This one held so much promise for me, but it was so frustratingly faint on my skin that it was like straining to identify a tune being played on a distant radio. lf the volume were cranked way up, l would probably enjoy it a lot more.
01st August, 2014
Not often am I inspired to write a review, mostly because I find trying to describe a scent with words is a mundane task that very rarely comes close to the power of the actual experience. Yet when I find not only an amazing fragrance that blows my mind in every way possible AND a bunch of reviews that do not touch upon the true nature of what I'm sensing, I tend to spring into action with notebook and letters. This scent is an absolute joy. If you were to take the exquisite Lys Mediterranee from Frederic Malle and add an almost angelic salty-air note to it with amazing complexity, you would begin to understand the opening of Shanghai Lily. This salty air is probably not that at all, it's just what my mind conjures up. I actually believe it's the pink and black pepper that go hand in hand with "salt & pepper" that brings it about. Strange I know. It wouldn't be the first time the nose chunks memories and associations together to bring unusual and maybe even inaccurate descriptions. If I were to be smelling a grouping of lilies on a beach somewhere, say the Hamptons on a warm spring day with sea-air and boats in the distance, this would most definitely be the closest reminder to that experience. It's a true gender bender in that the opening is a feminine delight, yet always within the picture is a male counterpart walking hand in hand every step of the way. Some have hinted at a YSL vintage Opium relation to which I would agree. But instead of the rich spice in that classic scent, you have a modern floral lily with oriental accents all over it. There is a beautiful tuberose and incense combination that stands out as this fragrance develops that is just divine. Aside from the opaque Rive d'Ambre, this Atelier D'Orient line from Tom Ford is fantastic....don't let anyone tell you other wise! Antoine Maisondieu does a masterful job with Shanghai Lily, and it's only a matter of time before people start realizing the genius of this composition.

(The fragrance features spicy notes, floral notes, olibanum, vanilla, bitter orange, pink pepper, black pepper, cloves, jasmine, rose, tuberose, vetiver, cashmere wood, benzoin, castoreum, labdanum, guaiac wood and incense)
03rd May, 2014

Add your review of Shanghai Lily

Shop for Shanghai Lily products online

Shop for Shanghai Lily at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Shanghai Lily

There are no member images of Shanghai Lily yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Shanghai Lily