Tobacco Oud (2013)

SupplierGivaudan
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Tobacco Oud

Tobacco Oud is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Gillotin

Reviews of Tobacco Oud

A slightly sweet spicy/ashy boozy tobacco

A Fantastic boozy slightly sweet whiskey, spice (cinnamon), ashy tobacco (including unlit cigars) with some benzoin and amber in the drydown. Excellent performance.

Overall score: 9.2/10
09th July, 2020
I tried this a few times before submitting my review.
First off, in what I think is typical Tom Ford fragrance, is the hit of the initial spray. It’s strong and sweet.
Definitely a tang of tobacco leaf and a hint of spice with cedar in the background. The performance is top notch. Projection is just right and, boy, does it last. I can spray this on in early evening and it’s still there in the morning, albeit with that ‘clean shirt’ smell.
It’s on my wrist as I write and I cannot resist frequent sniffs. Perfect.
The irony is that a TF Oud does not match up to this one and I’m at a loss as to why.

Day 3 of wearing this fragrance and it’s getting to the point of addiction. I give it a small spray on my wrist just to be able to smell it. TBH I can’t understand why anyone would buy Creed Aventus over this.

If I have one criticism is that you have to be careful not to over do the application. A couple of sprays is enough. Any more and it’s too heavy a projection and it’s then also too much sillage.
30th April, 2020 (last edited: 04th May, 2020)
The best description here from Mistertaz albeit making this sound more interesting than it actually is, is :" a dry smoky spiced amber" and that it's fairly linear. In reality it is subtle if not insipid and unidimensional.
This is supposed to be Tobacco Oud. Do we have tobacco or oud here? No. Is the joke on us after the invoice? Yes.
I have since obtained another decant from a reputable source.
It smells completely different and I get mild tobacco and oud but nothing special or particularly interesting but its not amber.
The ebay seller for my first decant is: bedavi-416 you have been warned.

Fragrance: 6.75/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
14th April, 2020 (last edited: 20th April, 2020)
To me, this is a wetter, boozier version of Tauer's l'air du desert marocain. Lots of amber, smokey spices, boozy richness and of course, tobacco. The opening has some punch but settles down in time, maybe an hour or two.

Feels best in cool weather due to its heavy nature. Casual or formal can both work here.

If you use 3-4 sprays, the performance is just good, with solid projection and longevity in the 8-9 hour range. If you overspray, it can get out of hand and blanket a room.
26th February, 2020
Tobacco Oud is a bourbon sweet tobacco. Often when tobacco is a note in a fragrance it smells nothing like it, this does. It is a pipe tobacco. Broad strokes, it just smells like a dude smoking a pipe. Up close, and broken down: its got a boozy bourbon accord. Some say whiskey, but I don't see this as a dry bitter, it is sweetened like a bourbon. The oud here is just a background shrill pierce that raises the octave by about half a notch. The longevity is good, and projection is large. There are no performance issues here, unless too big is a problem. This is not a subtle fragrance. I don't know if it is because the stated notes are so huge and overshadowing, but I don't find sense many of the parts in the pyramid at all. This seems somewhat uncomplicated. It is a really good smelling tobacco, it feels well done. I could overthink this and try comparing it to other things and price levels and all that. Long story short I think it is a good smelling fragrance and performs well. Thumbs up.
03rd November, 2019
I get neither tobacco nor oud from this fragrance... what I do get is a dry smoky spiced amber. It’s a very linear scent without much transition, and opens with deep roasted spices with an almost animalic bent, lying over a bone dry and smoky (perhaps labdanum) amber. The spices soon simmer down and it blends more smoothly with the smoky base.

I believe that rather than another oud fragrance, Tom Ford has created a more complex successor to the late Amber Absolute.

To describe it best, Tobacco Oud is the product of a night of debauchery between Francis Kurkdjian’s Absolue Pour Le Soir and Tom Ford’s Amber Absolute. With the spices of the former and sweetness of the latter dialled down, making a more interesting and wearable love child than either of the two. Perhaps it could also be seen as a smoother and less complex nephew of Serge Luten’s Fumerie Turque.

I really enjoy this fragrance, but my only reservation is that it seems like one big basenote. It needs a highlight as a counterpoint to its richness and depth. I want it to have a touch more sweetness, or a sliver of lemony incense, or a spritz more of booze. Just something to take it to the next level... but that’s why there’s Fumerie Turque.
24th May, 2019