Tango (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseMasque
PerfumerCecile Zarokian

About Tango

Tango is a shared / unisex perfume by Masque. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Cecile Zarokian

Reviews of Tango

Masque Milano Tango, Act 3, Perfume 4 from their current catalogue, is the final perfume as far as the order they’ve laid out, though not the final chronological release. It was among my favorites from the line from my initial smelling at the Masque Milano introductory event at Perfumology several months ago, and remains, in my opinion, one of the boldest entries in the line.

It is a predominantly resinous scent with spicy powdery twinges, not a gourmand-leaning or indulgent amber, nor something particularly creamy, but rather a dense, powerful fixation of resins characterized by an especially pungent opening and moderately animalic character throughout.

Tango opens with bergamot, black pepper, and cardamom, before moving to a heart of jasmine, rose, cumin, and patchouli, and then finally a base of vanilla, tonka, amber, leather, benzoin, and musks. It’s slightly floral but primarily spicy and powdery with an animalic side, though the resins, while not creamy, lean more sweet than powdery and animalic overall. Still, it feels decently powdery, too, not sweet and cinnamon-like MFK Grand Soir or Tom Ford Amber Absolute, and not quite as animalic as Profumum Ambra Aurea.

Tango is a great fragrance, a must-try for amber lovers, for whom the only question will be whether it’s too powdery/spicy or redundant with other offerings, which is my main question. At $145 for 35ml, it’s on the higher end of pricing in the line, and fairly high pricing in general, but it packs a punch and is worthwhile for amber fans, for whom it seems to be quite popular. Certainly worth a try, especially with the cooler weather coming up in the northern hemisphere, and one I’ll be pondering, myself.

8 out of 10
09th October, 2019
Glorious. Rich spice, warm wood, boozy amber, with a stunning rose that mingles deliciously with the tonka bean and benzoin. Seven hours in and it settled into a gorgeous, powdery rose with delicate wafts of vanilla. Prompted another unsolicited “Wow, you smell nice!” from my husband. Definite, definite love – oh how I want this! Full-bottle worthy for sure.
01st January, 2018

Tango is a sultry and rich, exotic amber that reveals itself in small quick unfolding bites of rose, labdanum, jasmine sambac, patchouli, frankincense, morrocain spice and then glides to a soft finish on benzoin and musk. Tango opens the door to the party with the boldness of Mazzolari Lui or Rundholz '68, then retreats to the quieter side ending in softness and comfort. Tango is lively, but easy to live with. Nice one!
24th August, 2017
Montecristo is Unique. Russian Tea does the impossible - a spicy black tea accord that actually LASTS. But Tango, while solid in its execution of a rich and spicy amber, is ultimately redundant and lacks the smooth complexity of the best representatives of the genre . Buy Ambre Russe instead (and for half the price).
16th December, 2015
I like it.....but. Well, it is certainly a rich fragrance with lots of spices, balsams, and some faint animalic note. It opens boozy and vanilla plays along for a long period. It smelt rather perfect when I tried it on paper.

However on my skin, there is a huge rubbery note that appears quite soon after the opening and lasts for a long time. I didn't sense it so much on paper, but on my skin it is prominent. The note becomes somewhat annoying and overpowers the other notes....unfortunately. I recommend to try it on your skin before you commit.

It is a long lasting fragrance with medium projection. Unisex, but leans more towards masculine I would say.
28th August, 2015
Montecristo was one of my favorite releases of 2014, but the rest of the Masque line has failed to get my attention. Tango is one that people seem to enjoy the most, but I smelled it when it first came out and have worn it a few times since, yet I can never seem to remember what it actually smells like after each wearing. And that’s the issue I have with this scent: there’s a lot going on in it, yet none of it is particularly memorable. It smells like resins with a heady floral accord, a bunch of gnarly spices, and a bit of coumarin sweetness. The sweetness builds into routine base of resins, musk, and amber. Tango is basically a boozy, convoluted oriental with a number of moving parts in a quasi-Amouage/Eastern style. I’d be inclined to label it more as dense than rich, and the end result, for me, is a scent that feels awkward and unsure of itself. It doesn’t smell like it warrants the price.
11th August, 2015

Add your review of Tango

Shop for Tango products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Tango

There are no member images of Tango yet. Why not be the first?