Ciel de Gum (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseMaison Francis Kurkdjian
PerfumerFrancis Kurkdjian

About Ciel de Gum

Exclusive to GUM, Moscow.

Ciel de Gum fragrance notes

Reviews of Ciel de Gum

rbaker Show all reviews
The amber presents form the first monents in in the foreground; is is a medium-dark but no so brooding amber, quite intense and composed well. There is a mild note of pink pepper mixed in, and both compliment each other nicely.

Later on a floral side becomes evident, represented by a white jasmine, with whiffs of muguet coming and going. With time a smooth vanilla notes is tagged in towards the end. There is a touch of gourmand evident just before the end, but on me this mix is never really a sweet one.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

A good autumn scent with an amber that is used deftly. Some creative touches are attached too, and the whole is crafted well. 3.5/5
07th December, 2020
Smells of the outdoors. Golden fields of grain, semi-green grasses, and random wildflowers. A warm breeze in mid to late August as I remember, from my youth. Floral notes with the edges of petals dipped in a syrup-laden amber. Starchy muffins with a vanilla glaze drizzled over top.

It reminds me too, of a few other recently sniffed creations by the house of Sixteen92, with its starchy accord. I get a touch of fine lipstick here as well. I enjoy this Ciel de Gum. It's a bit different. It's purely feminine to me.

The starch and lipstick accords go back and forth in waves, throughout its wear. The longer I wear it, the more I'm impressed.
15th February, 2019 (last edited: 16th February, 2019)
I can smell it's well done, but I don't like it. To me, it smells like a pet supply store. The grain, the leather, the dust, the food... It's very original, I mistakenly thought I'd love it because it has my favorite notes. Peppercorn is very present.

Longevity and projection are average.

You might love it. Sample it first.
21st April, 2017
Maison Francis Kurkdjian Ciel de Gum is one of the more hyped releases from the house, perhaps as much for the scent itself as for its exclusivity (only available at Osswald NYC and on the MFK boutique site itself) and peculiar name, which doesn't refer to gum agar or bubblegum but rather a Russian department store.

Amber, florals, vanilla, cinnamon, and sandalwood. Not a full-fledged amber-dominant experience that leans toward gourmand, but amber nonetheless the remains the dominant note in the experience.

Performance is a little disappointing in light of the usual standard of MFK as well as the price tag ($300 for 70ml). Longevity seems fine but the projection leaves a bit much to be desired. Still, it might be a powerhouse in warmer weather but in colder weather, for which its constitution seems to be more appropriate, it's soft.

Still, a provocative and interesting try that is understandably unique and deserving of at least some of the buzz that surrounds it.

8 out of 10
30th January, 2017 (last edited: 01st January, 2018)
The (heinously expensive) decant that I bought yielded exactly three sprays before it dried up, being made of (heinously cheap) plastic. But it’s enough to tell that I’d crawl over hot coals to get some more.

Ciel de Gum is a very smooth floral oriental revolving around a civet-soaked, ambery vanilla that smells about 70% the way towards Jicky, with the remaining 30% tipping its hat towards the self-consciously rich leathery indolic floral of Oud Osmanthus.

It's nothing too challenging or artistically "out there" but it has a pleasantly fat, nostalgic feel to it that renders it instantly legible to fans of big, civety, plush florientals. Didn't Luca Turin refer to Shalimar in terms of red velvet and the lights of the Eiffel Tower? Well, Ciel de Gum is plenty red velvet and Eiffel Tower.

A smooth, rich mass of ambery vanilla dosed heavily with cinnamon and civet lies at the heart of Ciel de Gum. A thread of indolic, naughty jasmine floats up through the scent but does not define it – even Samsara has more of a jasmine presence than this. It is as if the darker, dirtier facets of jasmine have been plucked out especially for Ciel de Gum - a light seasoning of jasmine over a custard, not a flavoring.

The floral-civet mix settles slowly over a bed of smooth, ambery resins and vanilla, mixing with pepper and cinnamon to create a slight Musc Ravageur vibe. There is a golden, fuzzy aura to this fragrance – very heavy, but smooth, opulent, and gilded like the light from a Tiffany lamp in a dark study. Surely something to look forward to at the end of a long hard day.

If you, like me, have a weakness for slightly dirty, ambery floral orientals with a lit-from-within, yolk-yellow luminosity, then buy with confidence. Ciel de Gum rides proudly in the same car as Jicky, Shalimar, Jasmin de Nuit, Oud Osmanthus, and Musc Ravageur.

It doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but for me personally, it doesn’t have to – it’s already pushing all of the right “Claire” buttons. Needless to say, it has jumped to the top of my wish list, and in terms of the Francis Kurkdijan stable, I think it is up with his personal best, i.e., Absolue Pour Le Soir, Oud, Cologne Pour Le Soir.
04th June, 2016

Add your review of Ciel de Gum

Shop for Ciel de Gum products online

Search on ebay

Member images of Ciel de Gum

There are no member images of Ciel de Gum yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]