Oajan (2013)

HouseParfums de Marly
PerfumerShyamala Maisondieu
SupplierGivaudan

About Oajan

Oajan is a masculine fragrance by Parfums de Marly. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Shyamala Maisondieu

Oajan fragrance notes

Reviews of Oajan

Opening: Gourmand honey and vanilla. Classic incense, resinous.

Then out comes patchouli, osmanthus jumping in with the fruity touch, all done in a refined way that reminds me a lot of how Kurkdjian did Ultra Mâle.

Ambergris helps in the marriage of classic and gourmand. From the heart notes onwards it does nicely stay outside of that gourmand territory but Oajan certainly has its array of mouthwatering notes prevalent.

Upon reapplying I seem to get more booziness this time over, from what I gather that would be the Davana. There is also something similar to oud present. So imagine the classicalness in this one as something like 80% incense resin, 20% boozy oud. Holding its own very well against aforementioned gourmandness. This makes it come across classy and niche. Think MFK, to put it in a tier.

However, I feel that there are better competitors out there. I'm not entirely convinced about the matched notes either. Also considering the price, this one's a neutral for me.
28th January, 2020
Well okay, I have to give this one to Parfums de Marly. I'm admittedly not a big fan of a house that has since 2010, taken the historical self-flummery of Creed and superimposed it over higher-budget but still clearly designer-tier scents. They figured heavier caps and a fake royal crest could make up the difference for their $300-ish price points, and later compositions have amped-up synthetic bases to try and give more performance factor for the money. With Oajan (2013), the house does something a bit different from the earlier barbershop/cologne vibes and the later bourgeois ambroxan bombs by going in a pretty authentic gourmand direction. This release sits in the same Middle East-themed series as Habdan (2013) and Hamdani (2013) but doesn't pretend to use any oud in the base. Instead, we get what is at its core an amber fragrance built up with gourmand notes, and it doesn't feel like emperor's new clothes or some luxe spin on a designer mold, which is surprising considering the house's release history.

The opening of Oajan is spicy with cinnamon, some blood orange, honey, and a fruity osmanthus note that is most rare in masculine market fragrances. Usually the apricot-like note of osmanthus is preferred in women's fruity floral bouquets, but here it lends sweetness and brightness to what would otherwise be an oriental tone. Oajan keeps going with artemisia in balance against labdanum and benzoin in the heart, keeping up the slab-thick feel but smoothing it all down with that amber base, boosted by ambrox and tonka. Patchouli and vanilla swirl in for a late-stage classic oriental feel but this is no Guerlain in terms of execution, so you will a bit of separation as the scent "comes apart at the seams" on the final skin scent hours. All told, the gourmand and oriental elements play well together and don't feel heavy-handed, but this is still something for fans of rich opaque and warm fragrances. I'd keep Oajan to fall and winter use myself for this very reason, and also use it on romantic evenings or cool weekends on the town. As for performance, you'll get hours and hours of time out of this, so be prepared to scrub it off when done.

Parfums de Marly is still a hard sell even if it hits all the check boxes because there are just so many better things for less that you could buy in the segments it typically stalks as a brand. However, in lieu of a classic Pasha de Cartier (1992), Opium Pour Homme (1995), Rochas Man (1999), or even Dior Homme (2005), Parfums de Marly Oajan will "get it done" with a similar warm fruit and spice on rich base if the price is right for you, although I wouldn't call this a good value or anywhere near as significant. Shyamala Maisondieu (wife of Antoine) did a phenomenal job here, and for someone looking to upgrade to a luxury house but looking for something comfy without pretense, I'd suggest Oajan as a good fit, but I'd also have that same person take a look at Serge Lutens as well, since this kind of vibe has sorta been his thing a lot longer than Parfums de Marly. Thumbs up, but test first, and consider looking online for a sample if you're in the US because most of this 2013 series didn't make it to US shores.
16th September, 2019
From July, 2016:

Obviously, Oajan is very similar to Ambre Narguile. In fact, unless I had them side by side I wouldn't be able to tell you a single difference between the two. That said, this is the best Ambre Narguile clone (no denying it) available. Dolcelisir, while close, smells significantly cheaper, and Helium feels drier and a bit spicier (it's good, but different). Oajan is more or less identical. In fact, it probably performs better, as Ambre Narguile is somewhat close to the skin, and Oajan gets out there a little more. As with most PdM fragrances, performance is very good. Aside from the superior performance, Oajan is significantly cheaper. You can find it for about $160 for a 125ml as opposed to Ambre Narguile which you're not going to find for less than $250 for a 100. While Oajan's MSRP is around $275, it's frequently discounted. So in my opinion, Oajan is the better buy. Several years ago, Ambre Narguile was the way to go as it was really the only one of its kind. Not anymore. While PdM loses points for more or less creating a clone, I'll give them credit for doing a mighty fine job of it and for making Ambre Narguile available at a much cheaper price. Thumbs up. Did I mention I really like the way this smells?
13th August, 2019
Ooh, this is a nice one! Oajan by Parfums de Marly reminds me so much of several of AJ Arabia / Widian niche offerings that are sophisticated gourmand formulations, full of layers of well-blended notes!

There is a deep, rich quality to Oajan that captivates me and feels like it's communicating a profound message. I know nothing of horse breeds and the whole equestrian lifestyle, for which Oajan is dedicated to; but I need not know anything of those to appreciate this masterpiece.

Osmanthus is a welcome dominating presence here, having a ripe apricot floral air synergized by the classy rich honey and tasteful sprinkles of cinnamon - REALLY pleasant! Davana adds a deep boozy red wine fruitiness that dances on the edges around the osmanthus. The ambergris adds a waxy, slightly bitter cloud inside the scent. And all the remaining notes serve to play artfully subtle supporting roles that inject tiny bits of sweetness and resin in the heart of this amazing cloud.

If I were to have thick liquid black cherry juice in a bottle, that would approximate my perceptions in toto of Oajan. It's friendly, philosophical, dignified, and truly a pleasure to wear - one of the best that I've sampled in recent times, and I've checked out a LOT. :-)
13th February, 2019 (last edited: 18th February, 2019)
One of the best gourmand fragrances I have ever smelt.

Succulent honey, cinnamon, cherry, tonka, vanilla, ambergris, osmanthus, musk, patchouli, labdanum, resins, and a wisp of smoke combine in a pretty astonishing blend. It's sweet, but not overly so, being restrained by its smoky, balsamic facets and the florals. I don't get any kind of "apple pie" vibe from this (or from Habdan either, PdM's supposed "apple pie" fragrance). It honestly doesn't smell like any kind of pie or cake in particular to my nose, but it does smell very edible, almost like a syrup with which you would douse a baklava or halva in a Middle Eastern bakery. I can't really attest to the comparisons it draws to Ambre Narguile, as I haven't smelt that fragrance, but it definitely does not smell like Tabac Rouge, Tobacco Vanille, Pure Havane, or really much anything else, including other PdM fragrances.

In my view, this is the best offering from the house, along with Layton, and the best gourmand fragrance I have smelled, along with Feve Delicieuse. Longevity, sillage, and projection, as is typical with PdM, is beast mode.
08th February, 2019
Cinnamon, patchouli, musk, osmanthus and honey mixed with smoky deep notes...yes! A real masterpiece and a great gourmand.

I got plenty of compliments and the silage and longevity is very good also.
30th August, 2018

Add your review of Oajan

Shop for Oajan products online

Shop for Oajan at online perfumeries

Search on eBay