Chypre Mousse (new) (2013)
by Oriza L. Legrand

Chypre Mousse (new) information

Year of Launch2013

HouseOriza L. Legrand

About Chypre Mousse (new)

Chypre Mousse (new) is a shared / unisex perfume by Oriza L. Legrand. The scent was launched in 2013

Reviews of Chypre Mousse (new)

The name made it sound like it was going to be a Roja Dove confection, but surprise! It is all forest floor, vine, earth, leaf, humus and mineral; the bitter edge of herbs. There’s many styles of green-leaning chypres. Chypre Mousse heads in the direction of a Hamlet contemplation - time, death, decay, compost, renewal. And it spends part of its time in a crypt.
So there’s a Djedi somber mineralic tinge to it, but lacks Djedi’s Guerlainade note, and is more plant-leaning. The Guerlainade note is what gives yearning and hope to Djedi. Those emotions are lacking here - it is more an experience of all those elements playing out in the natural world. The violet leaf works its subtle magic of stillness within change - here the change of natural elements in the cycle of life.
There are many classic Chypre elements here - oakmoss (a bit), clary sage, labdanum, angelica, galbanum, violet leaf, and whatever notes make up the leather. It forgoes citrus and also the florals that were at the heart of most classic chypres - rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, tuberose, etc - embedded jewels gleaming darkly in the heart. The violet leaf seems to fill that position here, but Chypre Mousse comes across as more of an exploration of the rest of the stuff.
Chypre Mousse gets lighter and less somber as it ages. Air starts coming into the humusy notes, and it sort of lifts out of the earth, becoming more tree, resin and wood. A bitter edge remains. I find it a little difficult to dwell in the early part of this fragrance too long while I’m indoors. I have the same difficulty with ‘Sonnet XVII’ by Olympic Orchids - I’m compelled by the process of dwelling in the roots and plants, the primal dirt of Sonnet XVII, yet there’s something in me that fears it. Very instructional, but a little unnerving.
That being said, I actually don’t consider Chypre Mousse an indoor fragrance. It feels at home when you wear it outside, and has a resonance with the air and greenery. It becomes a handsome herbal wood chypre and develops a complexity and character.
I give Chypre Mousse a neutral for indoor use, and a thumbs up for outdoor use. But because it’s capable of rising to the occasion I give it an overall thumbs up.
13th June, 2021 (last edited: 14th June, 2021)
This is amazing! I've used up both a 5 mL decant and a separate 10mL decant, and I'm seriously considering getting a 100mL bottle.

It's a weird scent. It makes me think of a crypt. And decay, and New Orleans. But despite that, it is not a damp scent, it's really dry to my nose. And it smells like a dry crypt in the best possible way. I don't know how to describe what components make up this perfume, but it is unlike anything else I've worn. It is at it's absolute best in very cold weather, think below freezing.

As you can see from other reviews, it is quite a polarizing scent, so I don't recommend a blind buy.
11th January, 2021
Nothing really new to add...opens and confuses me...get a general olfactory impression of granmas house or walking into an abandoned apothecary with stuff still on the shelves...suddenly , I'm hiking through a dark ancient forest with moss hanging everywhere... My hiking boots scrape the ground as I crush mushrooms and mint...i get an overall impression of that sharp chemical smell of something toxic or poisonous...an interesting experience but not for me...not going on my wishlist...this one goes on the do not buy list...
26th April, 2020
Chypre Mousse is a little bit of all over the place, almost like the golden retriever of the perfume world. It is soft and gentle at the same time. It can't decide what it wants to be. Throughout the wearing went from damp slightly moldy forest floor to herbaceous new sprouting trees and plants. It does capture that perfect mix when walking through the forest after the rain with patches of wet and bright.

I like it and hate it at the same time.
18th December, 2018
Another surprising offering by Oriza L. Legrand. These folks know how to make 'em! I detect mint, sage, fennel, and mushroom at the beginning. Green and forest-smell. Deep woods, after a rain, perhaps. But, there is no water note present. It is just moisture saturation. Oakmoss, galbanum, angelica, fern, and clover smother me as though I am laying face down, in the dirt. Dreams and visions of gentle death.

Those smothering depths rise to reveal a puzzling lightness in the base. Labdanum and leather, as if smelled from a short distance. Almost unnerving, this one. Well done.
21st August, 2018
Very interesting, excellent strong characterful perfume. Mossy fruity green watery aromatic. Some kinship with Davidoff's Cool Water suggests the presence of myrcenyl acetate. You could also make a comparison with Penhaligon's English Fern, though both these masculine fragrances are usually classified as fougeres rather than chypres.
31st July, 2018 (last edited: 01st August, 2018)

Add your review of Chypre Mousse (new)

Shop for Chypre Mousse (new) products online

Shop for Chypre Mousse (new) at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Chypre Mousse (new)

There are no member images of Chypre Mousse (new) yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]