Cape Heartache (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Cape Heartache

Cape Heartache is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

Reviews of Cape Heartache

It does smell similar to some of their other aquatics. That salty, Bvlgari Aqua aquatic smell, but this one has a huge dollop of incense. It really comes forward in the heart, in that this ceases to be an aquatic and turns into an herbal/incense frag with aquatic echos. I like this one. It has really drastic development, which can be good and bad.
01st February, 2020
Very smooth natural smell evocative of forests. Fir balsam and certainly pine needle absolute do have a fruity aspect, which has been skilfully brought out in this perfume.

Slumberhouse has done the same thing with Sadanne, with a pronounced strawberry nuance, but compared to Cape Heartache, Sadanne is a heavy handed composition.

There is an earthiness suggestive of forest floor which accentuates the naturalness.

Regarding the declared ingredients, mountain fog is a great one, I wonder if they distil it on the spot?

But vanilla leaf, which I looked up, could have some basis. it seems to be in a similar category to woodruff, melilot and deertongue, where natural extracts are occasionally available, so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

One of my top favourites in the Imaginary Authors lineup.

21st January, 2020
So odd...a big blast of pine air freshener and Bonne Bell strawberry Lip Smackers right off the bat. Like, what a weird combination. But it’s surprisingly not unpleasant—at first. There’s a bit of smokiness there as well, but maybe that’s the hemlock? As it develops, there is a distinct note of plastic mingled with the strawberry that reminds me of a strawberry scented doll my friend had when I was a kid. I would not want to wear this, as I find it far too cloying, but it definitely transports me to another time and place: my friend Sarah’s bedroom when we were about seven years old, playing with dolls.
03rd January, 2020 (last edited: 29th March, 2020)
Cape Heartache is super interesting. On me it started with some pleasant wet woods and pine for about an hour. Then very quickly the strawberry starts to creep in. It amps up further and further until I feel damn delicious walking around the office. I honestly would have never expected strawberry to work well on a guy, nor expect it to combine well with pine, but it does. They say everyone's skin is different, but I'm suprised to see that another reviewer didn't get any strawberry with how lush it is on me. I'll also say that the longevity was great, depending on where sprayed. The sprays on my chest worked much slower through that woody -> gourmand transition than those on my wrist did. Leaving me with still projecting from my chest over 6 hours later.
05th October, 2019
A very strange experience. On application, opinion was divided. "Bathbombs", said the family. "Calamine lotion, or hospital disinfectant", said I. A spicy phase followed, passing the torch to a near-gourmand experience after a few hours. The later phases were spent with a smoky, woody theme with overtones of strawberries and balsamic. Late in the day, I am left with strawberries and cream as if wandering the outer courts at Wimbledon.

What has this got to do with "Cape Heartache"? I'm not aware of any literary or cultural reference, but perhaps it works as a tip of the hat to those spy novels whose protagonists pay flying visits to a random collection of locations over the course of the narrative. I wouldn't buy this, but it's been an interesting ride.
10th August, 2019
Strawberries and cream in a pine forest by the sea. Such a unique fragrance - it's rare to find something simultaneously so rich and yet so light and supremely playful.
03rd July, 2019

Add your review of Cape Heartache

Shop for Cape Heartache products online

Shop for Cape Heartache at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Cape Heartache

There are no member images of Cape Heartache yet. Why not be the first?