Irish Leather (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseMemo
PerfumerAliénor Massenet

About Irish Leather

Irish Leather is a shared / unisex perfume by Memo. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Aliénor Massenet

Reviews of Irish Leather

Starts off with a biting leather and pepper opening. Later the drydown feels soapy and green, a very earthy green. The clean, soapy feel continues through as does the pepper, which is what provides the uniqueness from other soapy/leather scents throughout.

I really like Irish Leather but I can’t decide what its best use would be, casual or formal, warm or cool weather. Maybe it’s one of those versatile scents good for most occasions. Probably better for cooler weather due to its big projection, EdP strength.

It’s clean and masculine with great performance. Lasts all workday and can really project.
08th March, 2019
I hate to say it - this smells very similar to Irish Oud. This one has more birch. Leather is a bit more noticeable. Maybe a bit sweeter, with Tonka. Still, I like it a lot.
30th October, 2018
This is the first Memo perfume that I've actually quite liked, and I think it's probably the best hay perfume I've come across.

At its core, it's a fougere, lavender over coumarin, but manages to smell completely different from the usual. I've often heard coumarin described as the smell of "new-mown hay", but Irish Leather is the first perfume where I've really found it to fit that description.

I think it's the complexities surrounding it that really bring out the coumarin's beauty. There's something leathery, and something grassy and green, while the lavender is obscured by mint and a chemical brightness that hints at bleach. I'm not sure how, but this all melts together to smell like an extremely clean barn - saddles and hay and old wood and just a hint of freshly-washed horse. There are quite a few perfumes that have tried to pull off this horse/barn theme, but this is the first I've seen actually pull it off. Thumbs up!
01st September, 2018
A unique take on leather. Iso E Super sharpness, tonka sweetness, and a green Juniper/birch combine for a very pleasant fragrance. I don't get much leather, but I do get a pink pepper sharpness that is very strong. It would be too sharp with the I E Super and Pepper, but the tonka reins it in nicely. A very good fragrance.
14th July, 2017
This one opens up with a juniper blast that almost reminds me of gin combined with some leather that is very reminiscent of leather upholstery in a brand new car. At this stage there is also this damp earthiness present that has a very 'green' feel to it that starts to dissipate as the fragrance dries down. In the middle stage you still get the earthiness, but it changes a bit to something with a bit more bite. I want to say cypriol/nagarmotha or even some norlimbanol possibly, but there is definitely a certain dryness that comes out. The dry down on this one is literally just that new car upholstery leather with juniper. The “bite” is gone. Don’t really get the vanilla or amber much. Maybe lingering slightly underneath the leather. Not a bad scent per se, but not something I could see myself buying either. Much better leathers out there.
11th April, 2017
A cold if somewhat harsh bitter-green birch leather barely held in check by a dollop of buttery iris and ambery tonka.

I too took a sniff of the hefty price tag but it revealed nothing. They say - fear has a smell? Well, so does bullshit.

Anyway, I can see how Irish Leather's modern construction might come across as 'industrial' or 'synthetic' to certain noses particularly up close but if you're after a green leather, this could well be your leprechaun. And if you're as lucky as I was, it wears amazingly well like a sharply masculine Chanel No.19.

A fearless thumbs up from this reviewer.

27th February, 2017

Add your review of Irish Leather

Shop for Irish Leather products online

Shop for Irish Leather at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Irish Leather

There are no member images of Irish Leather yet. Why not be the first?