Black Opium Eau de Parfum (2014)
by Yves Saint Laurent

PerfumerMarie Salamagne
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About Black Opium Eau de Parfum

Black Opium Eau de Parfum is a feminine perfume by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Marie Salamagne, Nathalie Lorson, Olivier Cresp and Honorine Blanc

Black Opium Eau de Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Opium Eau de Parfum

Oh, Black Opium, love of my life, fire in my nose, the scent that sparked so much joy and started my perfume obsession. If I was writing this review back in 2018 or 2019, I would have written an ode for this fragrance (or you can check my review for Black Opium Nuit Blanche to get the idea of the kinds of flowery prose I am able to write).

Alas, the love that lasted for long years has faded and I have sobered from this intoxicating vanilla coffee with flowers, booze and a hint of pepper. Black Opium is half a rocker chic girl, half a teenage coffeemaniac with its bittersweet coffee that darkens it, balances the fruity-vanillic sweetness somewhat and has a tiny hint of spicy edge, too - like that cool girl you'd meet at the bar and talk and dance with through the night. It might also feel a bit synthetic at times - this is the quality that turned me off it when I started getting it too much - but honestly, the synthetic vibes might as well be intentional, mimicking the loud and brash electronic music in the clubs. It is a perfume to go dancing with after all.

The scent is very likeable and is still my most complimented perfume - someone will hug me and say, oh, you smell so nice (and I very rarely get any compliments, we don't compliment people here often).

Will YOU like Black Opium? Well, it depends. If you are not a complete snob and the idea of one of the most popular perfumes of the decade doesn't scare you, if you love vanilla gourmands, loud, sweet and brash fragrances and the smell of coffee, and the idea of something slightly dark but still very likeable and approachable seems cool to you, then yes, you will probably like it. Maybe even a lot.
If you're a seasoned perfumista with love for very nuanced, subtle, multilayered and classic fragrances, you might already despise Black Opium, as it embodies many things you probably hate in perfume industry, including taking an old classic Opium and turning it into something unrecognizable, but very likeable for younger and more modern noses. Black Opium is Opium for the masses indeed, therefore it's not for you - nor it aspires to be. Give it to your niece instead.

My love story with Black Opium might have ended with a happily finished bottle, but it was - and still is - a happy story. It brought me to the world of perfumes, and I'll forever be thankful for it. I might rebuy it some day or might never do it, but still I saved a small decant so that I could always sniff it and remind myself of me, you and the things we did together. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my dear Black Opium.
20th January, 2021
Very well done. Didn't think the Jasmine note would work well the other notes. I stand corrected. The coffee note in this is a plus. 7.5/10
18th February, 2020
I don’t feel it resembles Opium in any way, but it does resemble the floral gourmand fragrances on the market, with a beautiful -is it wine?- twist. It makes me think of a sweeter and cheaper version of Noir de Noir by Tom Ford.
Great performances.
14th March, 2019
This smells lovely and unique on me; lots of pepper, vanilla, and patchouli with that hint of coffee. It has good sillage (projects but inoffensively) and longevity too. However! I've noticed Black Opium changes so much based on your individual body chemistry, more so than many other perfumes I've tried. On my mother, it smells just like super sweet berries with a hint of something bitter. It's not bad by any means, but it's not what it smells like in the bottle or on me. It smelled much more generic on her. That's why I'm rating this as Neutral; it's really important to test this one out beforehand to know what you can expect.
20th February, 2019
Southeast Asia is one hot mess.. Literally.

With all thay humidity, dust and smoke from the traffic it is impossible even for an oil based perfume to last for at least 3 hours.

I am impressed with Black Opium. I did not intend to buy this, I was looking forward to get a bottle of Hypnotic Poison but it's always out of stock in the Philippines.

I have this sort of body chemistry that when a perfume is heavily floral or fruit based. The smell changes in an unimpressive scent. I am a vanilla base note person.

So, at first all that blossom, pink pepper and jasmin will hit you. Surprisingly I did not smell any coffee it just went straight to what I am looking for.. That pleasant vanilla scent. And sticks I don't know but I'm sure wearing it for.more than a week.now and I work from 8AM to 8PM at worst and it's still.there! Sweet vanilla scent and very delicate 👍👍
27th January, 2019

This scent starts out with a wind of white sweet florals and pear with a pinch of pink pepper. Very ‘good girl’ or ‘goody two-shoes’

Then it spirals down into darkness of night and seduction.

In the middle notes there is a heat of incense and woods, mixing with the fading florals and dying pear

As it dries down it becomes an almost Marshmallow fluffy vanilla sweetness but the smell of the woodsy incense lingers behind it.

I can see where people get the sugared and creamy coffee in this, but I don’t per say detect coffee, it’s not acidic or bitter but rather a sugary treat.

The longevity and sillage on my skin are impressive, people know me by this scent and I get compliments often. This has become a signature for me.

Side note:
My man wears Nuit de L’Homme Intense by Saint Laurent daily and I think the two Black Opium and Nuit de L’Homme compliment each other well.
06th December, 2018 (last edited: 07th December, 2018)

Add your review of Black Opium Eau de Parfum