Ô Hira (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseStéphane Humbert Lucas 777
PerfumerStéphane Humbert Lucas

About Ô Hira

Ô Hira is a shared / unisex perfume by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Stéphane Humbert Lucas

Ô Hira fragrance notes

Reviews of Ô Hira

The BN directory pyramid only lists amber, no doubt because SHL cites "fossilized amber" as the sole olfactive note. However, the SHL website also describes "a layering of amber, leather and woody notes, headed by a superb pyrogenic styrax…impressions of earth, salpetre, amber and cinnamon…[and] the core is solid and based on tonka bean, torrefied vanilla and musk." (FYI, "pyrogenic" and "torrefied" are essentially the same heat treatment, and if they didn't use those terms, you wouldn't miss the omission and the perfume would be no more or less exotic.)

I thought I picked up myrrh in the opening, but I guess that was the styrax mixed with the resinous amber. It's a sort of root-beer-and-tobacco accord. Soon enough, though, that smoky sarsaparilla styrax takes a back seat to the amber, which, while truly lovely (and thankfully not overladen with vanilla for that caramel candy effect common to too many ambers), is more comforting than exciting. That might suffice if this cost at most half the $485/50ml it does; the original $825 must have sprained more than a few eyebrows. I really do like it, mind you, but liking and justifying ain't always the same thang.
14th September, 2021
This one goes out to the those who grew up eating burdock and lotus root on the regular. You know who you are. O Hira’s pyramid reads plenty of amber-resin. What you get may surprise you as it did me: New Year cookin’ and mothballs, with a hint of TCM the likes of which your parents or grandparents swore was better than Tums or Tylenol. If this is you then you owe it to your wallet to sample before buying. You’re welcome. The rest will probably love it like the other reviewers have therefore neutral rating from me.
12th November, 2020
I have been a real fan of all things amber. Most of the time, I have encountered the typical amber resin found in the base of many, many perfumes and colognes. As a supporting note, it has done its share throughout the history of perfumerie. As a starring role, I have enjoyed some of the most relaxing, powdery soft-sweet journeys from several houses' offerings. Whether its the orange-colored resin, or from the ever-alluring and mysterious ambergris proper, amber has remained relevant in all that I smell now.

Enter this mighty offering from Stephane Humbert Lucas 777: Ô Hira. It's the crown-jewel scent in his company, meant to be creme de la creme. A very imposing presence!

As for the scent itself...it is yet another thought-provoking masterpiece of high level. It claims to be a single note - "fossilized amber" - but I swear it has other notes swimming in that lovely brown liquid!

It SMELLS authentic. There is a seaside, salty oceanic vibe to this one that makes me think of the whale-based version of ambergris, with a slight musky, airy quality. Cistus shrub based rockrose has GOT to be in there too, with its own leathery-amber accord that would be hand-in-glove in a vaunted scent like Ô Hira! The presence of agarwood is evident, not in a show-stealing manner, but purely supportive way. And I do detect a touch of spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg, playing a subtle, but vital, role in this uber-niche abstraction.

Performace wise, this is not thick by any means as, say, Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. Like other SHL offerings, Ô Hira depends on the smeller to really contemplate and parse what it's message is / isn't as an impressionistic scent. My impression is of a staid, dignified fragrance that is not to be rushed nor instantly judged, but slowly experienced. And I dig it! :-)

The price for Ô Hira is GINORMOUS! Decants, if available, are the way to go here, IMHO. Definitely a great outing from SHL 777 that fits the swagger it presents to us all.
17th December, 2018
To me it smells mostly labdanum (rockrose) with florals. There might be ambergris also, but I can't tell. It is a pleasant fragrance, projecting an 'amber' feeling. But I won't be getting a bottle as the price is stratospheric.

06th August, 2018
I luurrve resinous ambers, and true to expectations this stuff is gorgeous. It's buttery, resinous, dusty, smokey, and about every other dream amber descriptor going. In terms of colours it's of course amber, but more specifically it's built around umber/ochre clouds billowing dynamically, backlit with golden yellow rays highlighting the cloud edges with their radiance.

The whole affair is long lasting and fairly linear, and maybe not something a non lover of ambers would really appreciate, but if you're like me, this is grail material. Yeah, the price is beyond silly, but hey that's a story for another day. For the juice itself, yes it's outstanding.
23rd September, 2015
"Ô Hira" by Stéphane Humbert Lucas is a very fine Amber oriental fragrance with a woody and spicy character.

The main star here is Amber, luscious delicious and incredibly sexy Amber. There is oud here too but, it is hardly detectable, more of a distant supporting extra and so much the better for it.

The Amber smells brown, resinous, earthy, and leathery still, always harmonious, without any single notes stealing the show. I think Labdanum could be one of the main components here, although I also detect some real Ambergris. As for fossilised Amber, well, I have never experienced it so I can't say with any degree of authority if it is present or not.

Stephane considers Ô Hira the diamond in the collection and I understand why. It is a successful attempt to create the ideal Amber scent, mysterious, warm, deep, balsamic, precious and rich.

The scent sits on my skin with a silky but persistent touch. It oozes sensuality and sexiness.
With moderate Projection and silliage Ô Hira easily last over 12h on my skin.

This is an excellent Unisex fragrance that fits perfectly with the cold season. For me, it is a truly amazing experience, pure sexiness in a bottle!

As for the price...Ô Hira is firmly aimed at those who can afford it and are happy to pay the high cost admission ticket.

***EDIT***
Jan 2017... Having had the opportunity to purchase very high quality Oud oil, I can now detect that the Oud note in this perfume has a much bigger role than previously stated. I would go as far as to say that this is, in actuallity, a very high quality Ambered Oud perfume. Knowing how expensive and rare good quality Oud oil is, and the high 24% oil content in Ô Hira, I find the price of this perfume entirely justified.
05th January, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2017)

Add your review of Ô Hira