Barrel (2014)

AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseMiN New York
PerfumerJulien Rasquinet

About Barrel

Part of MiN's "Scent Stories" Collection Volume 1. The collection will feature 11 fragrances, which will be available to members in 2014, before a wider distribution in 2015.

Barrel fragrance notes

Reviews of Barrel

Although being credited to Julien Rasquinet, Barrel smells like something Duchaufour could have come up with during his less inspired days. A boozy-spicy-woody oriental with a sweet quality, some resins and subtle florals. Something along the line of certain Lubin, a bunch of Frapin or whatever other average niche-line offering a boozy oriental. It opens extremely sweet but it tames down pretty fast turning into a nice and yet yawn-idnucing woody-balmy base.

Pity because I think the whole MiN line had a fantastic potential and quite some diversity within its range. Unfortunately most of their fragrances smell rushed and kind of unfinished but, most of all, the majority of them lack that certain *je ne sais qoui* that would have turned them into standouts when compared to other similarly themed compositions available on the market.

23rd April, 2015
Maybe it would have been better for me not to know that Julien Rasquinet composed MiN line, because nearly every scent I try from this brand smells to me like a rushed sketch of other fragrances Rasquinet composed for other brands. Like if MiN decided to produce a series of trials and incomplete versions the nose then developed for other clients. Barrel seems to me something halfway Bois d’ascèse and several boozy-fruity scents, basically the Bois just with a sweet fruity-floral note and a suede-amber base which provides a bit of warmth and “silkiness”. But basically that’s that, another variation on that futuristic, super-dry, kind of dark “incense-ash-woody” synthetic accord. Say, Naomi Goodsir’s Bois d’ascèse meets Naomi Goodsir’s Cuir Velours. With a bit of two Masque scents, Tango and Russian Tea (I know Rasquinet didn't compose all of these, eh!). Nothing more than just nice for me, with a quite cheap drydown (dry, synthetic, quite light and endlessly linear) which is fine, but utterly redundant if you already own some of the abovementioned scents. And *outrageously* priced for the quality and the creativity (both tending to the lower end here, in my opinion).

6-6,5/10
06th April, 2015
Big thumbs up for this one. I've tried seven of the other fragrances in this series of 11 Scent Stories from MiN, and this is the first one that has compelled me to post a thumbs up in the reviews.

It reminds me of the sample of Paco Rabanne One Million Intense I tried recently, and I liked that one too, but Barrel is even better, and the base is sweet and delicious.
10th December, 2014 (last edited: 09th December, 2014)

Add your review of Barrel

Shop for Barrel products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Barrel

There are no member images of Barrel yet. Why not be the first?