L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette (2014)
by Guerlain

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch2014

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette

Guerlain say:

The ideal man is a myth. His fragrance, a reality. Guerlain decodes men’s aspirations and creates for them a concentrate of ideal.

The ideal fragrance? Smart, handsome, strong. Three adjectives, three accords for this fresh woody fragrance that will trigger your full potential.

The fragrance was launched in 2014, and created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette

Oviatt Show all reviews
When L’Homme Ideal first came out I sampled it at a Guerlain boutique and didn’t especially like it. I am not into sweet gourmand scents which is why, while I can appreciate L’Instant it was just too confectionery for me. I have revisited L’Homme Ideal, buying a bottle to wear in the fall and it is growing on me. The top notes quickly give way to the amaretto accord which dominates the fragrance throughout its lifespan. The base notes do a good job of grounding the amaretto and give it that new Guerlainade note. As is often the case with Guerlains, there is also a Marzipan, patisserie note (as found in L’Heure Bleue) that reminds me of those amaretto biscotti (children love it when you burn the wrappers). However, the almond aspect of the amaretto also gives this a slightly barbershop quality which I like and helps make this fragrance more masculine. Over all, a very nice scent for cooler weather which will work as well with a cashmere sweater and leather jacket as it will with a suit and tie. I am especially fond of the Cologne flanker although I have not yet tried the other flankers.
16th September, 2020 (last edited: 22nd September, 2020)
It’s another nice but stereotyped male fragrance.
02nd April, 2020
I was really excited to try this one. From looking at the notes it really seemed up my alley. Amaretto is one of my favorite liqueurs and tonka is always great. But this was really a disappointment. The opening really does nothing for me at all. It's simultaneously sharp and powdery in an unpleasant way. It comes off strangely floral and almost feels like an old woman's perfume.

After 30 to 60min as those notes start to die down I get to notice the almond and a tonka a bit more. But after such a sharp opening it's actually hard to appreciate them, like my nose has gone numb to it. Maybe if I could skip right to the drydown this would be wearable. But, I can't stand the opening enough to try this again.
22nd June, 2019
My first thought when I sprayed this was that it was reminiscent of Valentino Uomo Intense. Sweetness with a bite that I guess comes from the biter almond and citrus. Tonka citrus leather, is the order I'd go here. Something hints at powderyness without fully committing to it. The more I wear it, the more I like it. At first I considered it a bit too sweet, but as the woody base becomes a bit more prominent in the heart it is quite nice. When the citrus burns off it unmasks the cedarish fake wood smell. This adds a bit of a nose twinge to the tonka to round this flavor out a bit more. The vetiver in the base also gives it a bit of a dryness that I enjoy. A bit more casual than the EDP. Sweet and contemporary, with a classy Guerlain drydown. Thumbs up.
20th February, 2019

A Bakewell tart is an English confection consisting of a shortcrust pastry shell beneath layers of jam, frangipane, and a topping of flaked almonds. With a glacé cherry on top.

Ideal?
Quite tasty with Tea for two ...

Good longevity on my skin 7 hours
Common dry down like most designers
Post 2010

24th January, 2019
I think this is quite sweet, probably from the almond in the Amaretto accord, although somehow I think of strawberries, and this makes me think of a similar accord I get from Paco Rabanne Black XS. Possibly the tonka and orange blossom are contributing to the sweetness too.

I prefer the EDP to this, but it is still a nice, good quality fragrance.
02nd January, 2019