Black Flower Mexican Vanilla (2014)
by Dame Perfumery

Black Flower Mexican Vanilla information

Year of Launch2014

HouseDame Perfumery

About Black Flower Mexican Vanilla

Black Flower Mexican Vanilla is a shared / unisex perfume by Dame Perfumery. The scent was launched in 2014

Black Flower Mexican Vanilla fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Flower Mexican Vanilla

Black Flower Mexican Vanilla is absolutely gorgeous. The vanilla is paired beautifully with the florals and the hint of nutmeg is lovely. The sandalwood and patchouli provide a beautiful backdrop. A stunning vanilla without slipping into sweet. I'm not picking up the citrus, and that's ok - I have Shalimar for that. I was looking for a slightly-floral vanilla and I've found it.

This is a beautifully-woven fragrance.

Thank you ClaireV - you're my heroine!
07th July, 2020 (last edited: 08th July, 2020)
This is a deep, rich & spicy vanilla, oriental in tone rather than cupcake-sweet. I don't get the citrus notes, except for a slightly bitter tang in the opening, & I don't get the florals. What I do get is a satisfying nutmeg & tonka blend that continues right through the drydown. It's fairly linear, settling close to the skin after six hours, but lasting over twelve.
This feels like top-quality stuff, & there are echoes here of the "Guerlinade" in classics like Shalimar. If you prefer your vanillas blended with other notes to give them interest, as I do, rather than smelling like a straight-up vanilla extract, then surely this one is a must-try.
04th December, 2019
From December, 2015:

A nice spicy, deep rich vanilla with that trademark Micallef base that's also in Vanille Orient and Gaiac. It has a warm, plush texture and avoids overly sweet, cotton candy territory. I don't find this incredibly complex (despite the note pyramid), just a simple, high quality cinnamon/vanilla fragrance of obviously good ingredients.100% unisex. I'm a guy and I find it very easy to wear as it's comfortable and nonchalant without any traditionally feminine notes in the mix. Projection is solid and longevity is very good. It's also priced fairly. Black Flower is a good place to start if you're looking for your first serious vanilla--it presents a 'niche quality' style that is completely accessible while still feeling different than what's typically out there. I picked up a bottle myself as it just seems like something that will be perfect for weekend mornings this winter. Thumbs up!
13th August, 2019
Notes: Lemon, Grapefruit, Caramel, Nutmeg, Gardenia, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Vetiver, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

Black Flower Mexican Vanilla is an addictive fragrance that verges on the border of gourmand but does not quite cross over into gourmand territory for me. It opens with strong citrus notes. The heart opens with a dark, deep, rich, smoky vanilla (think top quality fresh vanilla pod) and a sweet, creamy caramel. A strong, spicy nutmeg note livens up the vanilla and caramel. I also detect gardenia and tonka bean in the background. These notes persist into the deep drown down. This one is a real wrist sniffer, and I cannot help but suspect that it was inspired at least in part by Shalimar.

Performance is excellent. Projection and sillage are moderate, and longevity is outstanding. I applied it last night after I bathed, and I can still smell it, albeit lightly, on my wrists today at 4 p.m. BFMV feels warm and sensual, and I believe it could be worn by both women and men. I believe it is office friendly, and I cannot imagine anyone being offended by this smoky, spicy, rich and delicious conncoction. Bravo Dame Perfumery!

Fragrance: 6.5/10

Projection: 6/10

Sillage: 6.5/10

Longevity: 8.5/10
13th March, 2017
As gourmands go, this is a good one with strength and longevity.

Its opening plunges one into Angel territory with its Christmas scent reminiscences of vanilla, caramel, jasmine and tonka.

There are potpourris and sprays used in stores during holiday time very reminiscent of Black Flower, used to put shoppers in the right mood.

It's quite linear on me, but perfectly pleasant.

My review is neutral due to its adherance to the Angel formula without breaking out in new directions or depths.
07th December, 2015
Black Flower Mexican Vanilla marks a strong entry in the field of vanilla-dominant fragrances, and it's my favorite from Jeffrey Dame's line so far, after having tried several. The vanilla is dominant and never subservient, yet is coupled elegantly with the other elements of the mix. Caramel and tonka are easier to absorb, as natural bedfellows of vanilla. More so, it's vanilla's harmonious blend with the floral notes (gardenia, jasmine) that makes it such a rarity among gourmands and vanilla-based fragrances in particular that seem to either smell strictly of food or be too floral to be pleasant for men. BFMV is a pleasant blend that can definitely work well for men or women, depending on appetite.

Projection and longevity are both strong, solid for an EDP concentration. This is a must-try for fans of vanilla. Excellent blend of vanilla and floral, light spicy notes.

8 out of 10
21st May, 2015

Add your review of Black Flower Mexican Vanilla

Shop for Black Flower Mexican Vanilla products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Black Flower Mexican Vanilla

There are no member images of Black Flower Mexican Vanilla yet. Why not be the first?