Levantium (2014)

SupplierCPL Aromas
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Levantium

Part of Penhaligon's Trade Routes Collection which was launched in 2014. The company say:

Lavish mounds of rum and spices, flowers, woods and resins all found their way to London, stacked high in the warehouses and around the wharves. Levantium opens with a shot of rum-like davana and absinthe, and the glittering warmth of saffron. The opulent floral heart of rose, jasmine and ylang ylang is given a piquant kick by clove and cardamom, whilst a luxurious and resinous base of oud, amber, myrrh and vanilla is buoyed by smoky guaiac, sandalwood and musk.

Levantium fragrance notes

Reviews of Levantium

Levantium opens with a lightly spiced peaches fruit note that envelops a cooling green heart of guiacwood, cedar, oud and patchouli. At times the peaches smell a bit like pineapple but the woods that follow adds a nice dry soft finish. At first this is a fresh fruit peaches and pineapple scent, but by the dry down it becomes more a soft woods scent. There is a bit of sweetness in the base that is carried over from the fruit opening notes that adds warmth to an otherwise soft cooling blend of green woods. A very pleasant and refreshing fragrance the that undergoes lots of change as it develops from start to finish. This is a better fragrance than reviewed and it does not get the respect it deserves.
02nd February, 2020 (last edited: 21st August, 2020)
This is a really generic, woody, traditionally-marketed-to-men scent. I used up the sample, but would not even consider purchasing a decant or bottle. Very boring.
17th October, 2017
I was hoping to like this one, but it reminds me of Baruti's Berlin Im Winter and has that same sour edge that I just cannot stand. I've only worn it once, so I'll give it another chance before dismissing it completely, but on first wearing, it's just not my thing.
06th December, 2016
Levantium has what you'd expect from a modern upscale oud perfume: lots of saffron mixing with patchouli and rose, a barely perceptible pinch of rubber, probably no oud, and a woody drydown. What it does differently from the crowd is actually a difficult-to-describe designer sheen. It has that non-specific chemical woodiness that you smell in a lot of men's designer scents, as well as a weird chemical cloak, a sort of metallic outer space lavender that knocks out my nose, leaving all the usual oud notes suspended in a haze of chemistry. I'm familiar with this effect from the original Polo, so I always associate it with mall scents.

All that being said, this adds up to me not particularly liking Levantium. With the chemical theatrics, it smells like it's attempting to be common. If it didn't have them, it would have smelled like a hundred other upscale department store ouds. So, I guess that if you're a big designer fan who hasn't liked ouds before, Levantium may be the one to finally win you over. But if you're an actual oud fan, this may be a hard sell.
06th October, 2015
This is an excellent scent. I like it very much.
First -- to get some matters out of the way.... One need not fear the spices, floral notes (especially ylang-ylang), peach or vanilla. Sometimes, indeed often, I find these to be overdone for my taste. Not here. They are minor issues, not really notes per se so much as very subtle elements which add to the complexity of the overall scent.
Basically, this is a scent which starts with a marvellous green chord, and finishes with an excellent oud note.
The opening is green, tangy, resinous and slightly rubbery. It is full-bodied, even rich, yet dry. Fantastic! The anise/fennel note is prominent, indicative of the absinthe.
The scent develops into a very well-considered oud. Works well, wears well. More woody than medicinal-challenging. A bit bright and piercing at first. Intriguing, classy. Rose clings to the oud in later stages for a classic, warm combination.
I urge people to give this a try. I think it is a winner, one of the best of Penhaligon's recent introductions.
20th July, 2015
If you love classic orientals but can't wear them without getting a headache, this could well be one to try. It's woody and a little bitter, but the terribly restrained and British nature of Penhaligon's house style brings it firmly down into the realms of tolerability. I'll leave it to others to pick out notes but for me this is one of the few "true" oriental fragrances I enjoy.
03rd December, 2014

Add your review of Levantium

Shop for Levantium products online

Shop for Levantium at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Levantium

There are no member images of Levantium yet. Why not be the first?