Insolence Eau de Parfum (2008)
by Guerlain

Insolence Eau de Parfum information

Year of Launch2008

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerSylvaine Delacourte
PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Insolence Eau de Parfum

Guerlain say: 'This fruity floral fragrance highlights an unprecedented powdery duo of violet and iris, given a modern edge by a dash of berries. The full and enveloping Eau de Parfum is more intimate and reserved than the Eau de Toilette.'

Insolence Eau de Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of Insolence Eau de Parfum

This is a nuclear, big overflowing floral, that will announce itself before and after youíre there if you unleash it. So itís capable (and willing) to be abused. In spite of that I like its fragrance - kind of sultry and pretty. Itís a solid perfume, well-built - if it wasnít as well constructed it would be intolerably histrionic. But my question is whether I need another fragrance capable of perfume inappropriateness.

Nowhere in any fragrance pyramid Iíve seen is tuberose listed, yet I keep getting a really strong tuberose vibe, like itís the main floral component. I take tuberose a fragrance at a time. Depending on the way itís dealt with, I either like itís dense butteriness, or find it unbreathable after a while. The combination of tuberose (if thatís what it is), violets and berries is attractive, but ends up being an opaque tuberose on me. I think of tuberose as foundational, when you really want to nail a fragrance to the floor. And perhaps leave it there for a while while you go get a cup of tea, then come back and pick it up again. But full-on commitment to it makes me cringe.

I was looking for a little more insolence than it has, some actual sassiness, though it does have some breezy attitude. Though it matters little for what it is, Iím not certain I want to make this a part of my life. After a day of wearing it I get a little tired of it, as itís just not me and the pretence is too great.
08th March, 2019 (last edited: 24th April, 2019)
Insolence EDP's opening is a very powdery iris to my nose. And if sprayed heavily, it actually reminded me of iris in Shalimar Parfum Initial.

This extremely powdery phase lasted around 1 hour on me and then the violet becomes more and more clear, finally takes over the whole scent. It's sweet violet decorated by powdery iris and a small amount of red berries to give the flowers a kick.

Some perfumes sit close but maintain an intensity, like a velvet covered on skin, while some are like a fog surrounding the skin, but difficult to discern a shape, for exemple Kenzo Flower, and here, Insolence EDP.

The tonka beans and woodsy notes are subtle and the scent doesn't evolve too much while slowly fading away. The sillage is moderate on me and the longevity is at least 8 hours.

I tried it several times and honestly, during the first time, I liked it but was not impressed. However, the more I try, the more I like it. The name 'Insolence' is so well chosen for this series. The fragrance is sweet and well blended, but the same time it leaves out an unconstrainted confidence of its beauty. Definitely worths a try, though it'd better to prepare for its powdery texture.
07th January, 2019
You want to smell like fruity parma violets and leave a multifaceted rainbow of (as my 6 year old would say) 'what the WHAT?' trailing behind you? Insolence is for you!

I love the scent, the violets blaring, the tinge of icing sugar powdery goodness mixed in and the slightest hint of jammy berries. One spray is enough to part a small room of people. Two or three spray can part a crowd. Insolence gets people standing to attention. I've been told that people know I walked down a hallway when I wear Insolence.

Be careful with this one, it can clash unmercifully with other scents and should never be worn in small spaces. I don't wear it often, but when I do I go in bold and brash.
16th July, 2018
Never say never: Iím wearing Insolence EDP. A few years ago, I was laughing at the twirly, twinkly, pinky, purpley line of Insolence bottles. Now, Roucelís direct and precise homage to Apres LíOndee and the Guerlain DNA in this composition makes me very happy indeed since it seems the only Apres LíOndee I will ever experience is a modern EDT so attenuated that I can barely smell it 15 minutes later. (Shout out to the insightful reviewers who called my attention to this perfume.)

Violet flowers are made modern in Insolence EDP, a sophisticated ("vulgar"? no way!) perfume that I can add to my other violet favorites, including (all in their vintage forms) Coty Paris, Le Dix, Jolie Madame, and YSL Paris. Iíll take violets with creamy, powdery aldehydes (Le Dix) and Iíll take them with roses (Coty and YSL Paris) but I particularly like violets when they are matched with more sensual, muskier notes, as in Cellierís brilliant combination of violets with castoreum and isobutyl quinoline in Jolie Madame. (Meanwhile, my 50 year old bottle of Violetta di Borsari extrait contains a surprisingly strong and hirsute dose of civet: itís clear that violets were never just for grannies, back in the day.) Insolence EDP is the latest take on this game of contrast, presenting slightly syrupy violets on an ambered, darkly musky base. The perfume in my 2016 bottle lasts all day with a moderate and delightful sillage. Now issued in the (rather boring) bee bottle, but I think Mansauís shiny purple gyroscope is really the only way to go.
04th February, 2018
It's Palma Violets. Candied violet petals and a sweet puff of sugary talcum powder. Youthful, but not (I don't think) strictly only appropriate for young girls.
I'm 26, and happily wearing it. I think my Mum could pull it off too.
Personally, I'm not keen on the bottle design. It's fine, just not as glam as Guerlain usually is.
I loved it so much, I got a second bottle on spec for my friend as it was on sale. Will definitely buy again.
I'm sitting here in a clean, powdery cloud of violets. Such a happy, pretty smell.

28th July, 2017 (last edited: 29th July, 2017)
If Shalimar was simply Jicky gone Bollywood, the same can be said of Insolence and it's predecessor of exactly 100 years, Apres L'Ondee. Roucel took the quiet, mournful violet of L'Ondee and gave it sillage of nuclear proportion - adding a healthy dose of red fruit which becomes stronger as the fragrance progresses. The base is a clever, just perceptible mix of sandalwood with the smallest hint of proper Guerlinade. Devotees of Apres L'Ondee will either love it or find it vulgar. I find myself solidly in the former camp.
23rd July, 2017

Add your review of Insolence Eau de Parfum

Shop for Insolence Eau de Parfum products online

Shop for Insolence Eau de Parfum at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Insolence Eau de Parfum

There are no member images of Insolence Eau de Parfum yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Insolence Eau de Parfum