Scent of Hope (2014)

AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseDawn Spencer Hurwitz
PerfumerDawn Spencer Hurwitz

About Scent of Hope

Scent of Hope is a shared / unisex perfume by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Reviews of Scent of Hope

DSH Scent of Hope opens with an intense peach note. This peach is no longer the juicy, luscious fruit fresh from the branch, but carefully dried under the sun, having absorbed the warm energy of sunlight. Its sweet-tart flavour and even the discreet bitterness close to the core feel concentrated yet sublimely balanced. This dried fruit sensation is further underscored by the dusty, slightly spicy even anise-y violet, reminiscent of the violet note in Caron Aimez-Moi.

The orris does not manifest itself in a distinctive way on my skin. But after about 40 minutes, when the dusty spicy violet starts to soften, the plush, velvety texture of orris renders the previous dried peach more pulpy again. Underneath the peach flesh, there is also occasionally a papery, even slightly starchy touch, which might be a combined effect of orris and ambrette.

Scent of Hope then maintains this palpable, suede-like peach skin scent during the rest of its development. I can't really discern any other ingredients such as the civet or the moss in it. They help to complete this lavish peach-orris-violet accord rather than distracting from it. The sillage is mostly moderate and it usually stays about 10 hours on my skin.

As I've never smelt vintage Iris Gris or the Osmothèque reconstruction, I can't provide any comparison. When compared to the recently released L'Iris de Fath, the orris in Scent of Hope seems to be more quiet, mostly supporting the radiant peach rather than performing a pas de deux. And it has a stronger presence of a deliciously dusty and anise-y violet in the opening, while its dry down is more homogenous, lacking the multilayers of carnation and green moss in L'Iris de Fath.

Regardless of comparisons which depends mostly on one's preferences, Scent of Hope is definitely beautiful and charismatic. Smelling it really makes me feel sunny, happy and optimistic, thanks to its lush, bright, harmonious blend of peach and orris. Me being a fan of Caron Aimez Moi, that dusty spicy violet in the opening is also a welcoming touch for me. I would definitely recommend giving it a try if you're interested in exploring the magic pairing of peach and orris.
24th June, 2018 (last edited: 26th June, 2018)
Juicy, peachy, not overpowering. Underneath it's a little woody, you can smell the musk. Flowery without being too powdery.I keep smelling it on me and looking around to see where this wonderful smell is coming from. I love the smell of clean metal that comes from it.

I want my bed to smell this way, and my clothes fresh out of the dryer. If someone wore this and lent me their jacket, I would steal that jacket.

After about 30 minutes this scent has blended in with my skin and become something deeper and better. I love this, but I have things in my collection that are less powdery, and this is almost too feminine for me.
12th July, 2016 (last edited: 14th July, 2016)
A very true rendering of orris, warm and seductive with its Persicol (peach) note floating above. (Persicol also played a large part in the successes of Guerlain’s Mitsouko and Piguet’s Fracas).

The original Iris Gris was described by Barbara Herman in her Scent & Subversion as peach-scented pastry dough. Scent of Hope does not replicate that olfactory experience, but gives us a different take on the peach/orris combination that is as subtle as a chypre. Worn close to the skin, this is a unique contribution to the world of iris-based scents.

FYI, original notes for the 1947 Fath Iris Gris included: Persicol, Orris, Cedar, Vetiver, Jasmine, Muguet, Heliotrope, Lilac, Musk.

Highly recommended.
06th February, 2015

Add your review of Scent of Hope

Shop for Scent of Hope products online

Search on ebay

Member images of Scent of Hope

There are no member images of Scent of Hope yet. Why not be the first?