A City On Fire (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About A City On Fire

'A brilliantly dark graphic novel, A City On Fire, is the story of two match-makers.'

Reviews of A City On Fire

My favorite of the forest/campfire scents, comparing it to Bois d'Ascese and By The Fireplace it's more energetic and has a feeling of urban nighttime.
27th June, 2020
I was frightened to try this one on, because, overcurious, I sprayed it in the air immediately upon opening, and instantly regretted it as the smell of barbequed pork surrounded me- frightened to the point where I put this on at night, for fear that I might have lingering traces of barbecue about me all day.
But the opening to this on skin was surprisingly sweeter than I expected, fruitiness with a hint of smoke in the background. The smoke becomes much more prominent as the fragrance develops, but it seems balanced with dark fruit and hints of cardamom. I donít want to describe it as a bonfire- Iíve been to many bonfires, and know their scent- thereís sort of a resin scent, a coldness about it that doesnít fit- but the barbecue that I worried about doesnít actually appear at all on skin. The closest thing I could compare it to would be violin rosin. Smoke becomes far more prominent in the drydown, but is never overbearing.
13th May, 2020
Smells sorta like burning sage. I could draw a parralell to other ultra smoky burning fragrances, like TRex. I feel like Trex does it better, with some leather and burning plastic thing. This one smells more like bonfire residue. Less industrial. If you ever went to bonfires, then went home, that smell that your clothes and shoes have the next day is the smell of this fragrance. It comes on strong, with a nose searing blast, but settles in to just very strong.
01st February, 2020
This literally smells like the charred remains of a burned object. It gets stronger and projects more and more as each 30 seconds ticks by.

Eventually I had to wash it off, but afterwards, I could still smell it ever so slightly if I put my nose right up to my skin...and there was a faint, faint smell of leftover campfire that was not unpleasant! I felt kind of compelled to keep smelling it. However, I could not handle the intense smoke at the beginning. I think this is more of an experience scent than a wearable one.
29th December, 2019
This is definitely one of the most interesting fragrances I've tried but not the most wearable. I do get the connections to Zoologist T-Rex, both have a ton going on. The beginning of A City on Fire is quite harsh. Thick black smoke, almost the burnt-bacon smell of creosote from a wood-stove chimney. It settles down a bit after an hour and is then reminiscent of how your clothing smells after hours sitting in front of a campfire.

Neither of those two scents really grab me but the drydown is where it gets more pleasant. A sweetness creeps in just a little that mellows things, maybe from the dark berries. It also doesn't really project, which is good given how harsh it can be. But this leaves that pleasant drydown too soft. If it smelled like the drydown the whole time I'd enjoy wearing it, but as it stands it's not something I'm after. Definitely sample if you can though.
10th October, 2019
Not wild about this one (and I say that as someone who likes smoke in perfume).

Slightly one dimensional with a sweetness that I found a little unpleasant. It's not terrible, but there's better out there in this style.
03rd March, 2019

Add your review of A City On Fire

Shop for A City On Fire products online

Shop for A City On Fire at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of A City On Fire

There are no member images of A City On Fire yet. Why not be the first?