Woodcut (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseOlympic Orchids
PerfumerEllen Covey

About Woodcut

Woodcut is a shared / unisex perfume by Olympic Orchids. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ellen Covey

Reviews of Woodcut

Awesome woodie, smells like I came in from sawing pines in the backyard, but without the sweat. I don't get much oak, but maybe the supporting role keeps it hidden?

Cedar is detectable, but not overpowering. The pine weaves in nicely. I don't get the burnt sugar, which is good, I think sweetness would detract from this elixir. As would too much vanilla, which is hidden from my nose as well. Maybe these, along with the oak, simply prevent the cedar and pine from overwhelming the senses?

Built on the "house sauce", which Olympic Amber had as well. But I like this base juice, so that's a plus for me.

Lasts all day, and although leaning linear, I do not grow weary of the scent. I get to enjoy this blend for 12+ hours.

Wonderful product from a great house, FBW in my opinion.

4.75/5.0!
31st January, 2020
Olympic Orchids – WOODCUT

Winner of the 2015 Art and Olfaction Award in the artisan category, Woodcut
Is pure and simply a “woody” scent, concentrating on three resins, pine, cedar and oak. The latter is a new entry into the perfume world, to my knowledge, and adds a roundness and depth to the overly familiar pine-cedar duo.

With the description of caramel, burnt sugar and vanilla, I assumed these would be provided by immortelle, but I seem to be mistaken in this assumption. I truly do get these three separate effects without the garam masala heaviness that immortelle can impart.

I appreciate the total absence of the bitter oud resin most commonly used these days in wood scents. This ruined the effect of Olympic’s Blackbird for me, and is happily not present in Woodcut.

I like it. It is true to its description and is both warm and subtle. A restrained and welcome addition to the genre. Although released as unisex, it is much more masculine to my nose than feminine.

Released 2014. 8 Notes: Fractional distillations of pine and cedar, oakwood absolute, tolu balsam, olibanum, caramel, burnt sugar, vanilla.
30th November, 2017
Doesn't sound like it would work - woods and chocolate - but it does. It is by far my favorite woodsy fragrance.

Sillage and longevity are fantastic.
09th September, 2016
I'm torn on this one, but going with a thumbs up. It's interesting. I get something from the very top reminiscent of dark roasted peanut butter, and from there it transitions into singed lumber.
05th September, 2016
This is a soliflore exploration of the scent of freshly-cut wood. The scent delivers a chord of notes which accurately convey such a scent: wood, sap, a slightly vanilla-caramel note as the sap's sugars are heated by the sawblade. I can imagine a woodshed, with sawdust motes shining in the sunlight coming through a window. Essentially a richer, rounder CdG's Hinoki, with much less turpentine.
05th August, 2016
Starts off rough for me, as it is reminiscent of a nasty scent from childhood in Pulp Production towns.
Things turn 180 after a few moments. A charming and quite perfect reproduction of fresh Pine,Fir sawdust. There is even slight petroleum note that points to 2 Stroke oil. The caramel is present when you cut through a log's sugar content is a nice touch. Quite masculine in flavour.
I like it!
10th January, 2016 (last edited: 09th January, 2017)

Add your review of Woodcut

Shop for Woodcut products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Woodcut

There are no member images of Woodcut yet. Why not be the first?