Remarkable People (2015)

Remarkable People information

Year of Launch2015

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange

About Remarkable People

Remarkable People is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2015

Remarkable People fragrance notes

Reviews of Remarkable People

The humor of an unremarkable fragrance being called Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange (2015) is certainly not lost on me, and I'm sure this was the intent to some degree, making a perfectly boring scent filled to the brim with "refinement" that smells of one mimosa too many during Sunday Brunch at the yacht club. I'm sure the unlisted perfumer working for Etienne de Swardt was cycling through playlists of Michael Buble, John Tesh, and old issues of The Robb Report to set the proper mood of detached wealth without meaning, banality presented as sophistication, and just plain old-fashioned privilege-induced boredom, wanting for nothing. I love a good social class joke that justly punches up (instead of down as seems to be the norm), but is it enough to make me want to wear a fragrance for any length of time? I'm guessing you may realize my answer is pretty clearly no, because all joking aside, if you make a boring perfume to parody the shallow decorum of the wealthy, you still smell boring. Maybe if you have to hobnob with Roqueforts for a Wednesday evening nosh because you babysit their Pomeranians Fifi and Toots while they play their midweek racquetball, I can understand.

The closest thing this resembles is the later Crème de Cuir by Parfums BDK (2018), which does the latter a disservice because it is good while this one is just well... okay. The grapefruit aldehyde champagne accord feels plucked from Chanel Allure Eau de Toilette (1996) or possibly Allure Homme (1999), mixed with some Boss Orange Man (2011) and a bit of Creed Millésime Imperial (1995), shaken and not stirred. From this opening, the middle fans out into something with cardamom, hedione, and a custard-like creamy musk that claims to be curry leaf or whatever. The base also changes the scent profile little, never going away from this sweet citrus champagne custard-thing, sparkling and pretty, but empty between the ears. Labdabum is resposible in part for this pasty musk, and is probably the only natural here, as the sandalwood note definitely isn't and the remaining woody ambery leathery tones are that exclusive Lorenox ELdO likes to use since Mane is their supplier. Wear time is average, as is sillage. Best use is to a gala at a local art museum that you're not invited to because you're not one of their top 10 donors anyway, so just don't use it at all unless you collect this house.

High society jokes aside, if you really are a mover or a shaker, you probably have the entire Tom Ford catalog in your Narnia-sized walk in closet next to all the Supreme t-shirts your son keeps buying with the money he makes flipping Nikes on his phone (instead of going to Havard as he promised he would), so you're not wearing this either. Everyone else who likes Etat Libre d'Orange sees this for what it is: a perfectly capable fresh citrus musk that smells like the background noise of a dozen other capable niche citrus musks sprayed together in the same boutique because you can't make up your mind which one is better. Just go with the Creed if you have the cash, get the BDK for something left of center and really stand-out, or get Ed Hardy Love and Luck for Men (2008) if you have champagne taste on a beer budget. If you want a little more amber and don't mind lemon taking the place of grapefruit or orange, check out Uomo? Moschino (1997) and dare to be truly different. You won't win an invitation to the annual Summer Soirée hosted by the HOA of the Diamond Pines doing so, but you don't really wanna be there anyway, do you? Neutral
11th June, 2021
This is nice, but like others from ELdO I've tried, extremely lackluster and boring. For charging what they do, which I know, $150 a bottle is not too bad by today's standards, but when it smells like a $20 scent like this, it's not justifiable.

The opening, I get grapefruit, cardamom, and champagne.. and a sweet creamy accord, something like tonka, but with an herbal quality. The champagne is the only thing keeping this from being a very bad clone of Allure Edition Blanche.

The base is also boring, with no specific notes shining through. I wish the sandalwood would have stood out more, it may have saved this fragrance, and made it actually smell good.
24th January, 2021
Yummy! Remarkable People opens with one of the best grapefruits I’ve ever smelled, a juicy Ruby Red Rio Star that is a welcome hit of sunshine on a wintry day like today (I am writing this on January 2nd, and it is sunny but cold outside). It also has a delicious cardamom note, and a bit of immortelle that I think constitutes the “curry JE accord” that ELDO lists among its heart notes (I have no idea what JE means. If you do, send me a message). I don’t smell Champagne, but then, I’ve yet to find an alleged Champagne that actually replicates the ineffable bouancy of the real thing. (My boyfriend described the opening as “rubbing alcohol, but I didn’t get that).

The scent mellows into a melange of cold spices, very appealing with the slightly bitter grapefruit accord. Its base is an unsweetened Amber and sandalwood blend, that boosts the mixed spices and citrus. I like this for what it is not as much as what it is, as I don’t smell the woody amber that I was frankly bracing myself for. I also detect some leather, even though I don’t see it in the house notes—probably labdanum, a friendly animalic ingredient—and a creamy smoothness emerges as the scent settles down after its bouncy opening.

It reminds me a little of another ELDO (Dangerous Complicity) that first elicited a “meh” reaction from me, but which grew on me so quickly that I snagged a bottle when I found one for forty dollars on the aftermarket—another boozy, creamy, slightly animalic scent that seems to sit in the center of this house’s fun, amberesque, non-gendered fragrances. Even though they don’t resemble one another on paper, they hit on similar cylinders for my nose, and would occupy a similar olfactory space in my collection, with this one leaning more towards “interesting sandalwood” than “fruity leather,” but they’re both made of fruit, Amber, spice, and cocktail accords. If I can find this for a price as good as the one I found for Dangerous Complicity, I might spring for it, as I am really enjoying this winter citrus.

ELDO’s always kooky ad copy says a lot about how this scent has something to do with (and I quote) demigods, scientists, nonconformists of various stripes, artists, and people who like the Free Orange State’s other perfumes. I fit at least three of these criteria, so I suppose it’s for me, to some degree. It isn’t particularly loud, it doesn’t really project beyond the opening grapefruit, but it creates a nice, moderate aura that drifts past the fingertips. As with many of ELDO’s fragrances, it lasts about eight hours on skin. It is a quality fragrance, it has some original thinking, it’s absolutely wearable, and I like it, so it’s pushing up against a solid four stars for me. If you like interesting citrus, if you are looking an easy-wearing spice box, or if you want a sandalwood that doesn’t force a woody amber down your throat, this could be for you. Two sandalwood-nude French tipped thumbs up.

02nd January, 2021 (last edited: 04th April, 2021)
A very lovely bitter-ish grapefruit at the start, then it sweetens - but in a soft, slightly floral, not toothachingly sweet, no, just slightly sweet way. The sweetness changes into mild spiciness which is even lovelier. It's a light and lightweight, happy scent, very unisex, should feel great at spring.
Is it truly remarkable? Maybe not, but it's definitely lovely, cozy, fun to immerse in and with a hint of some bitterness and spice among the friendly stuff - just like these people you like to hang out with.

Sometimes I think this quirky, subtle and bright citrusy-spicy scent with a lot of cardamom should be called Lovely People or Fun To Be Around People or People You'd Love To Hang Around With More Often because it feels like this to me. On another note, these qualities are rather remarkable, too.
09th December, 2020 (last edited: 02nd January, 2021)
Effervescent, bittersweet and cozy, like a party with witty strangers. Sometimes acerbic (sour notes of grapefruit among others) but warm. Suave, glib, the flattering aura of illustrious company. Bubbly but not giddy, a classy celebration.
23rd August, 2020
Reminds me a lot of Dunhill Icon. The fruitiness along with the pepper note makes it unisex.I don't see myself getting a full bottle, but this is a decent fragrance in my book. 6.5/10
30th January, 2020

Add your review of Remarkable People

Shop for Remarkable People products online

Shop for Remarkable People at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Remarkable People

There are no member images of Remarkable People yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]

Features relating to Remarkable People