Salome (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HousePapillon Artisan Perfumes
PerfumerElizabeth Moores

About Salome

Salome is a shared / unisex perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elizabeth Moores

Reviews of Salome

Salome is Herod's step-daughter.a archetypal femme fatale,a figuere of desire and doom, embracing her own destruction.she is one of the women who dance for Herod and Herodias at a birthday celebration for Herod,who doring "The dance of the seven veils" the scent of her body combines with her animalic&erotic perfume and intoxicates every man around her,and claiming as her reward the head of John the Baptist.an bloody end...this is hot sex in a bottle,the kind of sex after a night dancing and mingling with armpits after everyone's cologne mixes with a little sweet and honey and musk and amber.animal fur,animal waste,sweaty human body.impulsive,brutal,rude, visceral,stanky,primitive,but also strange,erotically sweaty and ahhh,orgasmic in the retro style.

It start out harsh,but wait.be patient,gives way to sweetness, the floral notes tone it down the slightest bit which ends up being a perfect balance.a bed of cernation and the most beautiful renaissance rose.there is leather here alongside the earthy,musty patchouli.there is also a slight smokey smell like a recently extinguished candle.as it dries down you get that post-coital sexy funk-still well structured though.this fragrance is an ode to musk,leather and sex.the dry down is full of art and depth. this strikes me as being the scent of a man but a woman could definitely wear it.if you don't like leathery musky animalic scents then this one is not for you because it gets right down to dirty,sweaty sex like animals in heat.the sillage is great and the longevity is insane.
15th January, 2021
PAPILLON – SALOME (2015)

Salome is a floral animalic chypre, which to my nose smells exactly like Lutens’ Muscs Koublai Khan with a light jasmine/rose accord added in to lift it out of its skanky animalic depths.

In neither the Muscs nor Salome is a musk note mentioned, but they do have three notes in common: patchouli, castoreum and cumin. Muscs added ambergris and civet.

Salome has a deep birch tar note that slowly emerges, giving us the effect of Russian leather without the raw hide being treated. This is a very strong, smoky scent and not for the weak of heart, certainly not to everyone’s taste. The jasmine/rose lightness does make it more endurable than the Muscs, but only just.

I liked the Lutens very much upon sampling and bought a full bottle, which took a while to use up, as I was reluctant to wear it out in public, keeping it only for private home use. It is not a go-to scent by any means, and one bottle was enough for a lifetime.

My spouse is aesthetically opposed to skank effects in perfume, so did not like Salome. He found it “not pretty, dark and murky, overwhelming, and unpleasant, strong.” He could only think of a person wearing it to a night of disco prowling, but only if definitely “on the make.”

I would like to give Salome a thumbs up, but since it is a copy of an already unique scent, I must give it a neutral rating.

26th May, 2020
Beautiful floral opening strong in jasmine mixed with musk. Sort of the same opening feel as Kiehls, but they depart pretty quickly. There is much more going on here, and at a much deeper level. The heart is a gorgeous birch tar castoreum leather feel, a bit smoky, and just really deep, and a bit dark, like a hazy dark tan color. Really something i have not run across much. It has a timeless beauty to it. It left an oil sheen where i applied it. Really just smells of high quality. Makes me want to check out other things they've done, that type of quality. Thumbs up.
11th June, 2019 (last edited: 05th December, 2019)
Cognac-like, booze infused jasmine. Cold, stony note. Mossy oak. Mountain earth. Hints of bitter orange. Rich, thick patchouli and styrax. Rich too, are animalics, in an under-layer.

Rose is here somewhere. I cannot find her directly. I sense her voice. She must be shy. Jasmine, animals, and resinous delights continue to smooth out into a pashmina of aroma. Very well constructed perfume, this! One of the finest oriental style scents I've experienced. Excellent sillage, especially in fresh air. Very long-lasting.

Animalic notes become even deeper over time. It becomes "amber-y", too. I love it!
27th April, 2019
A fantastic, if nostalgic, perfume. The opening was ornate, over the top, abundant floral sweet-notes (unashamedly pretty and feminine, not playing it cool or coy), setting such a gorgeous stage I hoped what came after would do it justice. And it did. It developed a delicious grrr underneath that gave it the depth I was really longing for with such great florals, becoming quite sensual, fulfilling its promise. Very satisfying.

The underlying simmer was a big cuminy spice note, fragrant, warm and opopanax-like in its lightly burnished warmth, a great foil to the wonderfully feminine florals.

The other basenotes gradually coming in really connected with the cumin, developing a worthy counterpoint to the strong emotive florals, not exactly blending but creating a sort of high-low layering, like two parts of a choir that you can distinguish easily yet hear their combined song. The sillage was deliciously darkened floral, but if I smelled my skin, it was predominantly cuminy, spicy basenotes.

It had a drydown that delivered and developed beautifully for hours. There have been so many fragrances with disappointing or disappearing drydowns anymore, I always take note if the fragrance has a good bottom. It means enough to me that I will buy a perfume that has an excellent drydown over a fragrance I may enjoy the top half more. I think I enjoy a good extended drydown most in a fragrance, and they’re fairly rare in newer compositions.

Salome, though a big oriental-styled fragrance, didn’t have a lot of cloying vanilla, the thing I never cared for in orientals (think 80’s) and was clearer, leaner, and earthier, so it comes across somewhat floriental to me. The fragrance I think of most in relation to this is Bal A Versailles, but I believe I like Salome more. It’s a little clearer and more upfront, and the florals in this sing a little brighter. It’s a very long lasting fragrance, continuing a full day and into the next morning. Really smashing, but use discernment on where you wear.
23rd March, 2019 (last edited: 22nd July, 2019)
I think cumin is wonderful. In FOOD.

In perfume, where it has become a go-to note for achieving a certain level of “skank,” it is almost always overpowering, obfuscating, and downright cheap-smelling.

And it pretty much ruins Salome for me.

This starts off beautifully, the initial spark of spicy florals giving way after about an hour to some sweet smoke and soft leather. After that, though, it’s all cumin all the time, a shrill, one-note tune played at high volume for the next couple hours before finally exhausting itself. The musky floral of the deep dry down is nice enough, but by this time I just don't care anymore.
17th March, 2019

Add your review of Salome

Shop for Salome products online

Shop for Salome at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Salome

There are no member images of Salome yet. Why not be the first?