Dark Rebel (2015)

HouseJohn Varvatos
PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc

About Dark Rebel

Dark Rebel is a masculine fragrance by John Varvatos. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Reviews of Dark Rebel

Picked this up the other day at TJ Maxx for a bargain price. Was looking for a cheap, everyday fragrance with tobacco and/or leather which are two of my favorite notes. For years, my "go to" cologne was Fendi Uomo but I'm down to about 25 ml. of my remaining bottle. This one isn't as complex and a fair bit sweeter, but dries down nicely on me and I catch a whiff for several hours after a 4 spray application.
15th November, 2020 (last edited: 09th December, 2020)
I’m somewhere between thumbs up and neutral on this one.

Dark Rebel starts off great and is easier to wear than its smokier brother Dark Rebel Rider, but the booziness in the base is a little too forward for my taste, and the scent as a whole feels a bit “flat”. Dark Rebel is likely not a crowd pleaser, and there are better leather fragrances out there. Still, give Rodrigo Flores-Roux credit for making this concept work on a budget.

Overall, Dark Rebel is a decent cold weather scent for someone who already owns other fragrances in the Varvatos line and wants to stay within that aesthetic wheelhouse, but I wouldn’t spend more than $30 on this or its flanker. Neither is full bottle worthy for me, but I appreciate their creativity.

Rider still seems to be available on the grey market for a good value, but the prices on Dark Rebel appear to be creeping up. For that reason, Dark Rebel gets a neutral, while Rider is a thumbs up.
07th October, 2020
Longevity and projection are always connected to this line, but I enjoy the John Varvatos line for the exact opposite reason that it gets heavily criticized - I don’t need my fragrance to create a scent bubble a 1/4 mile out while continuing to pound off me for 12 hours.

For $30 bucks if it isn’t a synthetic mess and smells good then frag on baby. If I need 6-8 sprays then so be it.

Dark Rebel reminds me of a more tobacco smoke forward Halston Z-14. It has a mild cinnamon sweetness in the heart and leather in the base. Z-14 is more complex, but the vibe is similar overall.

3.5 stars.
01st October, 2020 (last edited: 05th October, 2020)
It's refreshing to me to have an EdT that lists tobacco and actually delivers you the note so hard and in the foreground.

This is a brown to dark brown tobacco, if you've ever smoked hand rolled cigarettes you'll definitely know the difference between this and it's blonde alternative (unlit).

Furthermore, I don't think it's actually the tobacco note itself but the realness of the leather, tree sap and its wood that tilts the whole towards cigar territory. The rum is nicely done and blends in so well with the ethanol you're used to getting from applying a fragrance.

Manliest scent I've ever smelled, can only praise the daringness.
06th December, 2019
It smelled so familiar at first and I couldn't put my finger on it, but it clicked when the notes started to blend. This is a milder and more expensive version of Halston Z-14! I can pick up the tobacco and rum. I'm pretty sure there's also cinnamon and possibly a touch of vanilla, but I don't notice any black pepper or leather. It's a pleasant scent, but it has been done before and the projection is disappointing.
07th June, 2019
Fake woods and rum start this scent off. Then the tobacco takes over with juust a hint of smoke. This doesn't smell dirty at all to me. Doesn't smell like the town drunk or the homeless man. Kind of an updated, worse blended, more synthetic and better performing Burberry London.
01st March, 2019