Noir Exquis (2015)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Noir Exquis

The inspiration for Noir Exquis is an unexpected rendez-vous in a French patisserie:

Two people meet over a coffee. In this delicious atmosphere of patisserie and coffee, hushed looks are exchanged. This delightful rendez-vous is the beginning of a new story with Noir Exquis.

Noir Exquis fragrance notes

Reviews of Noir Exquis

Noir Exquis was released the same year PDM Carlisle, TF Noir Extreme, V&R Spicebomb Extreme, Maison Margiela By The Fireplace, and many others in this smoky gourmand style, and Noir Exquis very much feels like it belongs in that family.

I'm inclined to mark this the best of that particular pack by virtue of compositional refinememt and raw quality; there's an appealing smokiness to this chestnut-tonka creation that avoids the aromachemical harshness of some of the others listed here.
12th July, 2021
rbaker Show all reviews
The maple syrup and the chestnut combine in the opening to a pleasantly sweet and discreet aroma.

The drydown adds a milky coffee aroma, with whiffs of caramel also present. The base adds a darker wood note, at times presenting as a bony and at times as dark teakwood, with a very restrained soft smoky touch at a later stage, which is underlined by whiffs of raisin muffins.

Interestingly, whilst initially a bit thin, it gains strength with time, peaking in the heart notes before tapering out very gradually towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and a stupendous twelve hours of longevity on my skin.

A lovely winter gourmand with a slight nudge in the direction of Christmas, a bit nonspecific at times and done quite well. Still, not enough to score positive. 2.75/5

03rd July, 2020
It took me quite a while to actually figure out why I wasn’t enamoured with the opening of this perfume, but I think something clicked when I got to smell Martin Margiela’s By The Fireplace. Chestnut. My brain simply won’t allow my sense of smell to recognise chestnut as a desirable aroma, and i really think that the omission of this particular note would have made me like this perfume a whole lot more.

The chestnut opens with the sweet tang of orange, which I found a dissonant pairing, and definitely had a negative impact on how i perceived the rest of the perfume’s development. Like having the aftertaste of medicine in your mouth just before you eat a lovely dessert.

From that point, the scent plays out very safely using the old firm of vanilla and tonka, solidified with some dark woods (i guess something was needed for the Noir). I wish the coffee was accentuated on my skin, but i only got the haunting of some distant powdery bitterness. Maple sap was also missing in action, but that could have been me assuming it would smell like the stuff I pour on pancakes.

The thing is, it smells nice on me after the first 10 minutes and I know a few people who genuinely have this perfume as one of their loves. So like all reviews, you need to take my opinion in the context of my personal tastes of the time, and right now gourmands in general are not my, well, jam.

There is one thing, it is the type of scent I really enjoy smelling off clothing. I wore it with a scarf the other day and really enjoyed nuzzling my cold nose into it 8 hours later. It hangs around, but won’t really intrude anyone’s personal space unless they are close enough to intrude yours.

Now if you are a gourmand fan, then I will always recommend you try this. Just because I am a chestnutaphobe, doesn’t mean you won’t love it. But somewhat sadly, Noir Exquis will be finding a new home with someone that can show it more love than I can. It’s not you, it’s me.
09th August, 2019
Exquisite Black? That's like calling your latté black because it's got coffee in it, and a whole bunch of sweetener, and creamed chestnut besides. Don't get me wrong, this isn't bad, or at least it's alright till a rough woody amber turns up in the base.

It's just that I have no interest in smelling like dessert. And the damn thing diffuses like mad. It would be good for a first date in an ice cream parlour, but I'm way past that myself...
Leave me out on this one.

**/*
22nd June, 2019
Darn if this doesn't remind me of some of Hilde Soliani Profumi's line. Simple and easy gourmand. Reminds me of the candied chestnuts during Christmas time, so soft and syrupy with a latte perhaps. A bit of coffee shop holiday vibe. There is the slightest hint of some type of spice - a little bit of allspice or mace perhaps? A bit of deep amber-like qualities, all in all very calming and a bit of a treat.
23rd March, 2019
Definitely get nutty maple syrup combined with something very slightly powdery - a bit like a sweeter Valentino uomo intense. It’s pretty linear in the dry down and becomes a bit sickly after a few hours without anything smokey or spicy to counterbalance the sweetness. For me, it’s not fresh or clean enough for the daytime (even a Sunday) and not dark enough for night. It’s like eating delicious glazed nuts and waffles but for 8 hours which is and perhaps just not my thing.
26th January, 2019

Add your review of Noir Exquis

Shop for Noir Exquis products online

Shop for Noir Exquis at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

l'artisan parfumeur noir exquis vintage

US • Buy it now: USD 135.00.

Member images of Noir Exquis

There are no member images of Noir Exquis yet. [Image Uploads Currently Unavailable]