Sunshine Man (2015)

PerfumerPierre Negrin
PerfumerFabrice Pellegrin
Creative DirectorChristopher Chong

About Sunshine Man

Part of the 'Midnight Flower' collection.

Sunshine Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Sunshine Man

This is Amouage's take on Roja Dove's Risque. Its worrying nobody else has spotted this. More so for me as I have clearly sniffed far too much in my relatively short time here. It is identical but slightly more woody (masculine) and less subtle.
Simply put Risque is Peach and vetiver and Sunshine man is peach and cedar.
From memory Risque made me think long and hard before turning it down. This would be a thumbs down as well but perhaps I need to live and let live now I am climbing after hundreds of samples onto an enlightened plain of understanding and accept that perhaps this is what the perfumer wanted to achieve and if so then it is done masterfully and indeed some people would even wear it. Definitely not a heterosexual male though. This is confident young woman territory fairly broad in application less so for work but definitely pleasure smart or casual. That's why as a guy you will get compliments because ladies will smell it and like it for themselves not because they are interested in its wearer.
Do I get a graduation prize?
05th August, 2020
If you want to smell like a walking bubblegum, go for it !

Sorry Amouage, I love you but I don't like this Sunshiny side of you :(
25th March, 2019
I think the juniper and cedarwood were what turned me off to this offering. Was going to go neutral on this, but it just was that offensive to me. Now, please take this review as just my take on it. Just confused about this particular scent coming from the house of Amouage.

Update: After revisiting this scent I'm giving it a Neutral rating as I'm getting an "OK" smell.

Update 08/19 - I've come to really like this offering from Amouage. Was surprised at the complment factor as well. Next up is Beach Hut Man.
02nd November, 2018 (last edited: 22nd August, 2019)
Reminds me of sweet, sugary, dried fruit. Does have similarities with Baccarat Rouge 540, at least to me. There's also this very dry, almost burned cedar that gives it a slight mid-eastern feel. THere's also some powderiness in the drydown.

The scent is sweet and heavy, so if you plan to wear in warmer months, go easy on the trigger. It really projects and lasts all day.
23rd July, 2018
Revisiting Sunshine Man in 2018, I can easily understand how shocking this fragrance must have seemed upon its initial release in 2015, especially to traditional/hard-core Amouage fans.

This confection of lavender ice-cream, drenched in orange brandy syrup and creme anglaise, represents a significant departure from the more traditional Amouage line. In fact, the departure is so extreme, Sunshine almost feels like a rebellion against the Omani houses's roots. Such a rebellion could easily seem disrespectful, and as one reviewer opined below in regard to this scent: "...when placed into the context of Amouage's once-rich history, it's crass." I can certainly understand that viewpoint.

If Myths (2016) had been released directly after Journey (2014), it would have felt more like a natural progression (to my nose, Myths is a very traditional Amouage, with its heavy, ashy solemnity). Sunshine (the first in the Midnight Flower Collection) disrupted the Amouage time-line, like a bolt from the blue.

There is definitely something askew and off-kilter about Sunshine Man: but those qualities I once perceived as bizarre and slightly off-putting, I now read as quirky and delightfully eccentric. It's an enjoyable fragrance to wear. And I still think the fragrance feels like an Amouage, especially in terms of its complexity, depth and quality of materials. Oh, and let's not forget PERFORMANCE! It's off the chain!
05th April, 2018
Love love love
Well all I can say is my fave Amouage was Journey man.... Until I smelt Beech Hut Man, that blew my mind with how unique it is and also how long lasting and strong it is, then I smelt Sunshine Man. Possibly the best Amouage to my nose to date.
Stunning.... Perfection.