Oud Palao (2015)

HouseDiptyque
PerfumerFabrice Pellegrin
Parent CompanyManzanita

About Oud Palao

Oud Palao is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin

Reviews of Oud Palao

Brown Rose Oud

Its a rose oud, dirtied up by patchouli. The papyrus almost gives it an incense quality in the heart. It does smell like Diors Oud Ispahan. Performance is also similar to Dior, read enormous. It smells really good. So does Oud Ispahan. Whatevs, its a thumbs up. I won't buy a bottle. If I want this I'd buy the Dior. But Diptyque does decent work, and this fragrance isn't rough.
07th September, 2020
Very feminine opening, lots of heavy, harsh florals. But then the drydown, much better and absolutely unisex. Pleasing, sexy and slightly animalic. The heart/drydown reminds me of the top and middle of Outrecuidant by HdP. They share the rose, oud and patchouli and all those notes are prominent here. Oud Palao stays true to that dirty-sexiness all the way to the end while Outrecuidant goes into dryer sheet territory deeper into its drydown.

Very good performance with solid projection and all day longevity with only 4-6 sprays.
18th March, 2020
So, I recently tried this fragrance after purchasing a small sample. With the exception of Kilian's "Incense Oud," I imagine I am still on-the-fence about oud fragrances. With that said, I decided to give Oud Palao a try. For me, this fragrance is just a big fat "NO!"

Seems as though every time I try a Diptyque fragrance, it is a no...a strike out. For me oud fragrances seem to be "hit-or-miss." After applying just a wee-bit of this fragrance on my inner wrists and neck, I was afraid to leave the house. One of my cats, who was sitting with me at the time of application, thought this perfume was cat repellant (like Boundary Cat Repellant Spray). My cat, Crush took off running and gagging. I mean, apply, gag, streak...Crush was gone.

Yes, Oud Palao opens with an EXTREME scent of bakhoor oud. I guess I wasn't quite ready for the application, so the fragrance nearly choked me. I found the opening note to be rough, harsh and extremely intense.

After an eternity, I can say that for me, all I continued smelling was rough, thick, resinous, dirty oud. Disappointingly, the patchouli never made an appearance. Thick, dense, overpowering and nearly cloying oud is what I encountered for a few hours.

Finally, after a short scrub, I applied Kilian Incense Oud to the same areas I'd applied the Diptyque. For certain, the rose, patchouli and additional notes in Kilian calmed the Diptyque Oud Palao down. Finally, I felt it was safe to leave the house.

For me, this is a total fail.
20th September, 2019
Oud Palao is an excellent woody oriental in a clichéd genre. As mentioned by others, this smells like oud chips rather than the oil. The rose has a very soft-hazy focus, similar to the rose note in Habit Rouge or Egoiste, rather than conventional rose-ouds. In fact, this is very different from stereotypical rose-ouds such as Oud Ispahan, Black Aoud or Thirty-Three. Here, the rose is mostly in the background, providing a subtle contrast to the oud which is woody, a little sweet, somewhat creamy, slightly musky and quite cosy. The vanilla is very restrained, even more so than the rose. It is a bit too clean, could've been more animalic. However, it is not clinical, and the musky facets render it warm, furry and sensuous.

Oud Palao would be an interesting choice for people looking for a conventional woody oriental, but with more punch. A must try, even if someone doesn't like rose or oud. In fact, I'd probably place it closer to Egoiste and Habit Rouge rather than typical rose-ouds. Oud Palao is quite androgynous, maybe leaning a little masculine and perhaps just a bit more interesting on a woman. Unlike other fragrances from Diptyque which are on the lighter side, Oud Palao is quite a heavyweight with adequate sillage and excellent tenacity at over ten hours; which makes it an oddity in the range. In terms of 'personality' and 'style' it smells more like a Dior La Priveé (circa 2010-2016) than something from Diptyque. Perfectly wearable, and very versatile.

Very nice work.

3.5/5
12th April, 2019
Oud Palao (2015) is the second coming of Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990), and for all you older guys fighting over surviving bottles of the latter, put that in your pipe and smoke it after paying a visit to the Diptyque counter to give this wonderfully masculine oud and rose a sniff. Doing so may not change your mind about hunting down bottles of Balenciaga Pour Homme, because the compulsion to be the last man on Earth wearing the sacred unicorn blood is a hysteria I'll never fully comprehend, but for the more practically-minded person that just wants to "smell that way" and doesn't care about the source, this is more than an adequate substitute. With that having been said, this is surely not a Balenciaga Pour Homme clone, and it's really just the naturalness of the oud mixing with generous florals that cause such an assertive comparison. Oud Palao is it's own fragrance top to bottom, it's just nothing of this type has really been released by a Western perfumer -since- Balenciaga Pour Homme, and there has been quite a few rose oud perfumes from the west since then, just check Montale's inventory if you don't believe me. However, this is the kind heady oud-based juice you won't see much outside the Middle East anymore, and when Balenciaga packaged it as a masculine back in 1990, nobody really "got it". The skanky barnyard oud is here in full force, with a civetone "beautiful grossness" to it that makes Oud Palao a more-mannered Dior Leather Oud (2010) without the leather note.

No leather note in Oud Palao means it won't quite feel like you've stumbled into a homoerotic leather bar a la The Eagle (been to two of them, sad to see many of them closing), but you will definitely get the crotch funk blast of the oud in the beginning until it settles down to a simmering animal growl that sits begrudgingly alongside a brighter cypriol note that holds hands with civetone. From here, the extremely beautiful Bulgarian rose becomes the beacon of the fragrance, with creamy sandalwood and vanilla offerring a rich, but more-relaxed segue into a heady base of patchouli, cistus labadanum, olibdanum, and musk. There is absolutely no rest or reprieve from that oud, which in some ways makes it even more potent than the long-dead Balenciaga Pour Homme, because at least with that scent there is a bit more in the floral department to give some sense of gentlemanly poise, like a hornier cousin to Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (1986) that still keeps it's clothes on despite great temptation to the contrary. Oud Palao makes no false pretense about it's lurid nature, and really is only bested in that department by something of such a high plateau in the virility department as Leather Oud, which is never really appropriate to wear ever. At least with Oud Palao, you can kinda get away with wearing it during Pride Week, or vacation in Ibiza where everyone is trying to wear the least amount of clothing on purpose (for reasons I need not detail). This stuff is wild to the core, but also a bit more relaxed with it's libatious nature, so it's number two in my "kick the tires and light the fires" list of scents to wear when you just don't care anymore. Fabrice Pellegrin must have just had so much fun making this, I'm almost certain of it, and I guess this can be considered his preemptive apology for making Azzaro Wanted (2016).

There you have it folks: this sits somewhere between the extinct Balenciaga and niche-level Dior examples of Oud, and you know what? I find this is actually better than the Balenciaga and really the only reason to still wear that one without trying this is that you're just so dyed-in-the-wool stubborn about vintage juices that you stopped caring about anything made after 1995 anyway. Granted, this one isn't the cheapest thing around but it's cheaper than the aforemention Maison Christian Dior offering, and has a beautiful rose note which neither scent possesses so this definitely crosses the streams between rose/oud fans, virile oud-based scent fans, vintage-style fragrance fans, and guys who miss unapologetic masculine compositions in general. For fans of all the above (like me), this is a perfect storm in a bottle, and instantly on my hit list. Warning to the wise: this is a very challenging fragrance, and although I love stuff like this, the majority of folks do not, so my gushing really should read like a red flag if conservative "compliment getters" are really your style, because this is so very much not one of those at all. If songs like Jake Shears' "Bushy Mustache" speak to you more than the average fella, then welcome home my friend. this may just become your new favorite signature scent, just don't use it in the dead of summer, pretty please. Nuclear radiation wishes it had sillage this good, but I guess it had better for the price Diptyque is asking.
27th August, 2018 (last edited: 28th August, 2018)
I am very fond of Oud Palao. It is fast becoming one of my favorite perfumes and is one of the best Rose/Oud combos I have come across thus far. The oud is rich and a bit skanky in the opening, which I really like and the rose is deep, rich and sensuous. I get excellent projection and longevity. This one is a solid 5 stars for me.
02nd June, 2018

Add your review of Oud Palao

Shop for Oud Palao products online

Shop for Oud Palao at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Oud Palao

There are no member images of Oud Palao yet. Why not be the first?