Hummingbird (2015)

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerShelley Waddington

About Hummingbird

The company says:

From the ethereal perspective of the exquisitely adorned hummingbird, the world is an endless kaleidoscope of colourful, fragrant blooms offering up their tempting delights. An insatiable desire for sweetness propels the hummingbird as it floats from flower to flower, sampling the nectar with a gentle touch of its delicate tongue. Retreating to its lichen and moss-lined nest, it settles into the cozy cocoon and dreams of sweet ambrosia.

Reviews of Hummingbird

One of the best sweet florals I ever smelled. Very tropical.
20th April, 2021

When I was a kid, my grandma taught me how to pluck the blossoms of lilac and honeysuckle and suck the nectar out of them. It's so sweet and so floral, and when I took a breath after spraying Zoologist Hummingbird, I swear I could taste this same nectar. I was expecting this, along with the cherry note I picked up on, but I was not expecting the undertow of musk, sandalwood, and wood notes pulling my down into instant infatuation for this fragrance. I thought this would be perfect for my daughter, but I think this one will be one she has to steal from me.
09th December, 2020
A close cousin to Zoologist Bee, sharing a similar sweet nectar note.

The image of a hovering hummingbird drinking from a flower symbolises what perfumery is all about, and it is no accident that it was adopted by one of the most famous European supply houses, still appearing on their logo.

Underlying the honey and nectar is a floriental aspect bringing it into the territory, in mass market terms, of perfumes such as Amarige. I apologise to you Hummingbird for that comparison, but it means that this fragrance will be well liked by nearly everyone, whilst retaining it own unique charm.

Hummingbird is somewhat lighter than Bee but equally complex and intriguing. It is a totally delightful scent which very few will dislike.
05th February, 2020
Hubba Bubba grape flavored gum, three days old
01st February, 2020
This one is definitely feminine. I smell lilac, muguet, a touch of pear, rose, and a little violet leaf for the top notes. The lilac carries over into the middle where I smell honeysuckle, mimosa, and ylang ylang. Lilac is very dominate in this perfume. I love lilac so I am not disappointed. The base notes are puzzling as I don't get many of them. I smell a whipped, creamy musk which is delicious. My take on Hummingbird is that it is light, airy, and screams of spring. I love it!
05th May, 2018
This scent is nothing short of superb.

Honeysuckle, cherry, pear and lilac combine with an every so slight musk: a sweet floral scent, yes, but with an added depth and darkness from musk and some touches of sandalwood. It is unisex, yes, but may lean slightly towards the feminine side (although any man could wear it as well). Like most of Zoologist's scents, the illusion of the animal in their natural habitat is wonderfully realistic: I rarely get visualizations when thinking of a scent but Hummingbird brings to mind the light, soft flutter of wings of the creature surrounded in a plum-violet red energy. As the notes settle, you smell its entry into the woods: wet and soft, the light earthiness of moss surrounds.

Expensive yes, but if I were to pay such a price for a scent, this would be a prime candidate. Great longevity (8-9 hours) and moderate silage (just greater than a skin scent). The complexity of the notes is incredibly alluring, and you can tell a great deal of time, effort, and ingenuity went into this.

9.5/10

EDIT: I'm bumping this up to a 9.5. The complexity of the notes and the subtle yet alluring changes from initial spray to drydown are remarkable.
26th February, 2018 (last edited: 06th March, 2019)

Add your review of Hummingbird