Every Storm a Serenade (2015)
by Imaginary Authors

Every Storm a Serenade information

Year of Launch2015

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Every Storm a Serenade

Each Imaginary Authors fragrances come with a backstory. Every Storm a Serenade is:

When Stina, a burgeoning writer, decamps to her mother’s summer house for the winter to write a book, her trip overlaps for one day (and one steamy night) with a brawny fisherman named Ulv. While she struggles to gain traction with her novel, her fixation on the mysterious seafarer results in countless unsent letters, the contents of which chronicle the spiraling psyche of lust and longing. Set on the desolate west coast of Denmark during the tourist off-season, Every Storm a Serenade is a meditative masterwork that will lull you with its well-designed sentences and intimate tone.

Every Storm a Serenade fragrance notes

Reviews of Every Storm a Serenade

My introduction to this highly praised house, brings me here. I chose this fragrance because the notes look awesome, unfortunately though, it's not what I got. Assuming you're a green fragrance lover, these notes brought you here, though I can say with confidence this is not a green fragrance, but it is a fun one. It's not green in the traditional sense: earthy, dirty, mossy, reminiscence of the outdoors. this is a highly synthetic scent, and even if the ingredients are more natural, it certainly doesn't come off that way. This is a risk the perfumer takes when making unorthodox fragrances.

This is in the same category as Oliver's Ambergreen, in fact, almost the same fragrance, but Ambergreen is the far more superior of the two. This dries down into the "imaginary note" which sort of smells like tennis balls, or something.

Performance is great though, but most synthetic fragrances are. With the clear and apparent use of ambroxan here, or as noted "ambergris", to prolong the dry down of the fragrance.

In the end: I would have much preferred a safer, green fragrance without the performance, and without the synthetic aromachemicals. I realize though, that is not the intent of the perfumer's distribution. The green notes in here are well done, but the twist of ocean air/ozonic feel, or whatever he was aiming for, although interesting, is not appealing to me. it makes this unwearable, other than to try it, wear it a couple times, and give this review, for somebody who is bored with everything else on the market, and I do mean everything.. then this is the brand for you!

To somebody who was blind smelling this fragrance, and others from this house, who knew enough about fragrances, but not enough about low key Indy houses, I would assume their conclusion to this brand would be as follows: The perfumer ran out of ingredients to source, to finish this fragrance off. The dry downs of all of his fragrances smell cheap, and synthetic, and go from smelling great, to smelling fake.

Additional notes: The only thing preventing me from a thumbs down, is the well done green notes in the fragrance.
14th June, 2020
Imaginary Authors to me is a house with its own persistent DNA. Despite each being a unique artistic expression, there is a hard to describe commonality between their scents.

This is especially true for Every Storm a Serenade. In addition to the typical IA DNA there are also couple notes clearly shared with their other scents. The smoky driftwood of Whispered Myths, a bit of pine from Cape Heartache, some sea salt from Falling Into the Sea. Unfortunately, the two things unique to this particular IA scent are two notes that are generic otherwise: calone and vetiver. This all leaves me feeling like I'd rather be wearing their other scents.

It's by no means a bad scent, but the house is capable of a lot more exciting things than this.
07th January, 2020
"Baltic sea mist" lol.
Its a light salty aquatic with an underpinning of pine and smoky vetiver. Pretty airy. I may be anosmic to some of it, or i just prefer a little more junk in the trunk. Neutral.
07th December, 2019
I get nothing from this apart from a vague and totally nondescript odour with no relation to what others are perceiving. Either it is a total con or my nose is blind to the odorants. Presumably the latter and I only report on it in case others have the same problem.
18th November, 2019
From February, 2016:

More or less exactly what you'd expect from the description and note pyramid. Half of ESAS is sort of smoky, spruce and fir fragrance and the other is a moderately salty aquatic with a big, though completely pleasant dose of calone. The two halves work well together and for someone who likes both aquatics and conifers, I certainly don't mind this. The calone note gives it a breezy, marine appeal and the woods help to anchor it in the base. The dry down is a subdued vetiver and salty ambergris note that stays close to the skin. Projection is average to slightly above average for the first couple of hours. Overall longevity is around 7 hours. Every Storm has a casual, day-time feel and carves out its own niche as a very good winter aquatic option. This is probably my favorite from the Imaginary Authors line next to Memoirs of a Trespasser. While it's not necessarily complex, it smells good, offers a new concept, and it's easy to wear. Thumbs up for Imaginary Authors' latest release. I'd probably rate it a 8/10 or 8.5/10. Good stuff.
13th August, 2019
For me, the ozonic/fresh and oceanic component dominates. I don't get much in the way of conifers or vetiver. Definitely a salty tang here though, reminiscent of ambergris (in a mild synthetic way). Pleasant, but it does not wow me.
06th May, 2019

Add your review of Every Storm a Serenade

Shop for Every Storm a Serenade products online

Shop for Every Storm a Serenade at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Every Storm a Serenade

There are no member images of Every Storm a Serenade yet. Why not be the first?