Dryad (2017)

Year of Launch2017

HousePapillon Artisan Perfumes
PerfumerElizabeth Moores

About Dryad

Dryad is a shared / unisex perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elizabeth Moores

Reviews of Dryad

Dry green

I put it on. Ah, dry green fougere. Read some reviews. Chypre? I feel like a must be having a tough time distinguishing. Dried down to still a fougere to me. I dont know. I experienced a dry green fractured mossy fougere.
30th September, 2020
PAPILLON – DRYAD (2017)

After reading the other Basenotes reviews, I was expecting a mossy green chypre, but my nose tells me this is a very dry leather, the inside of a well-used leather shoulder bag, with hints of its former contents left behind.

It is so light and so dry I can barely detect it. I had to keep making sure the liquid in my sample was actually coming out of the vial, as I couldn’t detect its feel at all.

It’s very hard for me to rate this one, since it’s so ethereal.

My spouse did not enjoy it, finding it to be harsh – a murky, musky green, giving the impression of trying to cover up rotting vegetation with overly sweet florals.

Two entirely different takes. Going with my dry leather impression, I must give it a neutral as it doesn’t really impress. It’s just odd and different, almost a non-scent.

23rd May, 2020
Dryad is a back-to-basics kind of perfume. It delivers a dry green chypre uncomplicated by sideways excursions – presumably to satisfy the mossy yearnings of perfume lovers, now that this material features so insignificantly due to current restrictions. So we have the arid, ever so slightly yeasty, severity of oakmoss, signifier in perfumes of yore that they had backbone, dressed in the dark green skirt of galbanum, with a bit of herbal zing from clary sage. These are all good things and the range of other notes declared remains muted behind these two players. Except of course for the beautiful rich, buttery green floral note of narcissus, blooming in its heart.
Dryad is not always a hit on my skin – some days when the floral centre opens up and expresses itself, the sylvan intention seems perfectly realized and all is fine with the world. But I have also had wears where it remained contained and restricted to the chypric bones, and then it felt a bit like skinny fashion. Fine for purists, but a touch too single-minded.
26th February, 2019
Dryad is definitely a bonafide green chypre, quite sharp. I smell an accord of oakmoss (moss is prominent and persistent from start to finish) and galbanum, laced with clary sage. I find hints of floral, towards the late dry down, but very reserved. I'm missing completely any woods, resins or musk. Interestingly, I also do not find any note of leather unlike Bandit or Azuree.

Dryad is a commendable choice, but personally fails to hit the mark. I find it too one-dimensional, and lacking in nuances or complexity (unlike, Mito). For this reason, I also find it to be somewhat unfinished and unedited. It comes across as the "green chypre accord" equivalent of one note genre exercises that plague niche perfume lines. If only it had some added depth and dimension - it would have been much more engaging. It is quite abstract thanks to its central accord, but it isn't particularly complex.

I would imagine that Dryad would only specifically appeal to those looking for a specific accord, and even so, sniffing around might prove rewarding. Sillage is close but persistent, and duration is very good at over seven hours based on a moderate application.

07th February, 2019
Waves of notes that are a delight for my nose. Deep, dark floral notes. Old forest, damp woods accord underneath. Rooty iris. Galbanum is noticeable. There becomes two almost simultaneous layers: One is floral-sweet, the other more earthy, mossy dark green. The lavender is "pretty" here - not too intense. The galbanum is not a deal-breaker for me. The letter can be too grating, for my taste.

After time Dryad smooths out becoming an all encompassing elixir of which forest nymphs would delightfully approve. Very well done! 4.5 stars.
04th January, 2019
We all have a note (or notes) that, for whatever reason, is amplified on our skin, for better or worse.

For my skin chemistry, orris is amplified for the worse.

Instead of a rich, powdery feel that others report from orris root, I receive a harsh, mega-perfumey note that overpowers everything else. The only orris/iris fragrance I've tried where that does not happen is Iris Rebelle by Atelier Colognes.

Unfortunately, my sensitivity to orris remains with "Dryad" -- however, when I really stick my nose down into it to smell the other elements, I find it to be an incredibly well-balanced and pleasing chypre. Those who do not share my orris affliction will likely have an even more well-balanced experience.

There is a (likely unintentional) note here that reminds me of cap-gun smoke. Yes, cap-gun smoke. In a good way.
18th December, 2018

Add your review of Dryad

Shop for Dryad products online

Shop for Dryad at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Dryad

There are no member images of Dryad yet. Why not be the first?