L'Homme Ultime (2016)

Year of Launch2016

HouseYves Saint Laurent
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About L'Homme Ultime

L'Homme Ultime is a masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2016

L'Homme Ultime fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Homme Ultime

This is a more than decent flanker, this is the second YSL cologne that ive purchased, the first being Y by ysl which I did not like, burnt my nose every time that I wore it. This though, I put it on and I feel more confident, the opening is awesome and really pulls you in, the dry down is where the magic happens and it last a while but this is one where ive had to re apply. This is definitely a compliment getter and crowd pleaser if you dont over spray, which is easy to do with this one so be careful.
01st September, 2019
More like Femme Ultime.
Phew. Gave it to my wife. She loves it.
Like a sweeter version of Xerjoff Shooting Stars.

Fragrance: For men: 6/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
02nd November, 2018
Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime is poised as an "ultimate" version of the original YSL L'Homme (2006) composed a decade prior, and as an atypical flanker seeking to improve the original rather than supplement it, I'd say it's a pretty mixed bag of success, but stands tall in its own virtues. In some ways, I do like it better than the first because it has a nice "clean rose" that wasn't in the first version, but in other ways, I find Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime to really be more of a supplement than it cares to admit, much like it's brethren, because something is also lost in translation by stapling rose onto the original L'Homme DNA. The original perfumers Domonique Ropion and Ann Flipo return, but Peter Wargnye sits this one out and is replaced with Juliette Karagueuzoglo, who has also worked on various other L'Homme flankers. Ultime is not spoken of quite as much as La Nuit de L'Homme (2009), a flanker that almost surpasses the original in popularity, but Ultime is a silent-runner dark-horse champion that I feel is more friendly towards perfume hobbyists even as a usually-scoffed designer effort thanks to its deft inclusion of both ginger and rose. This only includes such enthusiasts interested in modern designers anyway, but considering some of the mondo bizarro flankers that came before, this one has enough focus not to become discontinued collector's fodder after a year or two. L'Homme Ultime won't set the world on fire any more than the original, which didn't either if you read my review on it, but for fans of that rarest of categories known as the masculine floral, this might be the closest one finds at a department store counter these days, if not diving into the bloody waters of pricey vintage hoarders/gougers or risky hard-to-sample niche brands to find such a rare fix. as a fan of rose, this stuff barely meets muster to me in that department, but is so nice overall that I can overlook it.

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime opens with a typical grapefruit replacing the citric apple of the first, but with the ginger reminiscent of it's forefather intact, infused with an added twist of cardamom borrowed from La Nuit de L'Homme to make it even spicier. There's no calone in Ultime like there was in the first L'Homme or La Nuit de L'Homme, so that slightly round and sweet melon note won't give this the halo shimmer of the original. The middle of sage and geranium is barbershoppy and coupled with a very sterlized Damask rose instead of the typical lavender, with no sight of the pepper or violet the original contained. The bleached rose/sage/geranium middle is the clean and neat star of Ultime, and where perfume enthusiast will take greatest interest in the scent. Granted, it's no Amouage Lyric Man (2008), Ungaro I (1991) or even Azzaro Acteur (1989), as the rose note is very slight and devoid of the dewy or sweet aspects Damask rose usually carries, but L'Homme Ultime is definitely a more-approachable rose, perhaps even more so than Cartier Déclaration d'Un Soir (2012). The base of vetiver and cedar plays another complimentary role similar to the original L'Homme, and is filled in with the olfactory epoxy glue that is norlimbanol and ambroxan, which weren't in prominent use when the original launched, so this is the point when vintage fans stuck on their oakmoss bases ask the waiter for the check please and bail out of the restaurant before payment comes due. Everyone else who has submitted to the Almighty Wizard of Shnozz and his My First Chemistry set will be use to the slightly scratchy finish of this. L'Homme Ultime is sweeter, but otherwise falls in line with Calvin Klein cK2 (2016), which is another grayed-out rose experiment, but done a little better despite being even more synthetic. performance is superior to the original in most regards outside sillage, with longer life at about 10 hours at the most, so that's a definite leg up, but still feels week for a supposed Eau de Parfum.

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime is a modern mainstream masculine rose for the guy that wants a dumb-grab scent he can boast contains a rose note, but that isn't blatantly and obviously a rose perfume like something "his lady friend" would wear; he loves the idea of rose because it feels sophisticated and refined to say "rose fragrance", but barely wants to smell it in application because he still has a stigma of "Mommy's perfume" when the rose is to obvious. L'Homme Ultime is orchestrated in such a way that if it had just a few more natural ingredients and were just a bit stronger, the stuff could almost be a niche release (particularly in the Le Labo vein), but is of surprising quality anyway. Fans of the original will probably appreciate this one the best out of all the available choices in this line, since Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime seems to preserve the spirit of the first scent in the line better than any previous flanker, while adding a small twist of its own just like La Nuit L'Homme did, but without just feeling like a cash-in on a name or obvious pander towards clubbing, sporting, or romantic use as with most flankers. it rides a bit more sensual than the original scent, and is likewise good for spring, summer, and early fall use, but doesn't have the guts for winter. Folks not a fan of the original will probably not find favor in Ultime either, unless a small rose accord is enough to sway their opinion, but I'm a sucker for rose in any quantity so this is a sure win for me, even if not something I'm chomping at the bit to wear. I admit it's faults and it's definitely the status-quo designer stop-gap release it seems to be in hindsight of 2017's horrid Y Eau de Toilette, but sometimes a plain ol' cheeseburger is fine. If we ate Filet Mignon every day, we'd lose our appreciation for the finer things, would we not? A drier, brighter, stronger, rose-powered but ultimately safe flanker to the stalwart L'Homme line that's more likeable than it has any right to be. Two thumbs up.
18th June, 2018 (last edited: 18th December, 2018)
Take everything good about L'Homme, add some rose and better performance and you get Ultime.

I'm already a big fan of scents with ginger and rose separately, and the two work together perfectly here.

The opening is fruity, fresh and sexy. The drydown is woody and still sexy, thanks to the rose.

I find this to be extremely versatile. Great for daytime or nighttime, casual or dressed up. Probably best in anything but colder weather.

Very good projection and longevity.
14th January, 2018
This is a very personal enjoyment conflicting smelling fragrance. In my opinion it isn't anything special ..the opening is too sour for a rose dominant fragrance ..it needs 5 minutes to relax the citrus... when the opening accords have faded you are left with a strange spicy sour rose smell that is reminiscent of paul Smith roses for women (which is scratchy) ..i write like I'm anti rose accord here but I'm not it's fantastic if used correctly...the rose is the dominant accord for me in this and it's a futuristic synthetic rose that's spoilt by sourness, not your adp essenza type that is natural and there to add and bolster a soapy citrus or even paco rabanne one million cologne that is straight up honest mass market rose. I think this is running too far ahead rose before anyone is bothered or cares, like a trendy Italian jacket that could set on fire and melt your skin within seconds. I'll catch up with this scent eventually (I bought 100ml blindly) but I think it might be ysl's attempt at a dior sauvage gone wrong or right in some ways, I much prefer the l'homme intense version if I'm honest in a hit and miss minefield of ysl creativity.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 19th July, 2017)
Love wood as we may
A shine like silver or gold
Tempts with their beauty.
06th July, 2017

Add your review of L'Homme Ultime

Shop for L'Homme Ultime products online

Shop for L'Homme Ultime at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of L'Homme Ultime

There are no member images of L'Homme Ultime yet. Why not be the first?