L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum (2016)
by Guerlain

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum information

Year of Launch2016

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
PerfumerDelphine Jelk
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum is a masculine fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2016 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Delphine Jelk and Thierry Wasser

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum

I really love the Guerlain brand, and the Ideal line is a very consistent range of solid scents that have good performance and gather compliments easily. 'L'Homme Ideal' EDP is one of my favorites, and for good reasons. The initial blast is a sweet, seductive vanilla and almond accord with a hint of what seems to be cherry or raspberry. Its very sensual, deep, high quality stuff that cuts through the air and hits the nose effortlessly.

The middle of the scent becomes a bit musky and darker, as the leather makes its presence known and really takes this one off the charts. This isn't a dirty, dark leather. Its a sensual, clean, high quality leather note that is very appealing to the ladies. The base is all vanilla and leather, with a hint of cherry lingering around. Its quite lovely.

With eight sprays (neck, shoulders, forearms, chest), I get about 8-10+ hours of longevity, with constant projection for about the first four hours or so. Properly applied, this will linger and leave a scent trail around you. On clothes, this lasts for days. You will catch whiffs of this throughout the day. Projection was a little above moderate but sillage is a bit heavy. Its a thick, dense fragrance that becomes you. I smelled it easily on my forearm for nearly nine hours.

This is a serious fragrance for a mature, well spoken and classy gentleman. You won't find many fragrances that smell like this, and if you like Montblanc 'Individuel' or Joop! Homme, you will likely love this. They are quite similar, except this adds a beautiful almond note matched to leather, and its absolutely gorgeous. Highly recommended.
24th September, 2020
This has quickly become a new favorite. Wow, this is a good one. Overall I'd summarize this as a sweet men's cologne following the recent trend of sweet men's gourmands, but this is the best execution of it that I've smelled. It's flawlessly balanced and refined and unlike the others in this vein, it is never screechy or "too much". This perfume is dangerously addictive and I cannot get enough.

It opens up with that famous cherry almond accord similar to the EDT which, while slightly fruity, has a dryness to it that renders it unisex. I get effectively no citrus, but I do get a gentle whiff of what they call "spices" on the pyramid tree. I would call it a subtle black pepper which is a fleeting top note. The almond note has been rebalanced just a little from the EDT and what we get here is a little more subtle but not much.

The cherry almond lingers into the middle which is a fascinating part of the fragrance in my opinion. This is where the magic is. Getting the obvious out of the way, there's a hint of Dior Homme Intense, but that's not the comparison that really keeps my interest. What I love is the fact that Guerlain l'Homme Ideal Perfume has a sister perfume: Shalimar Perfume Initial, recently rebranded as l'Initial. There is a heavy dose of Initial's middle notes in this fragrance. And you know which fragrance Shalimar Initial is often compared to? Dior Homme Intense! However I myself see the Guerlain offerings as very unique fragrances that only have a passing similarity to Dior. Further driving interest and masculinity in this middle part is the beautiful incense note which is gently smoky but refined. I would say the incense note was lifted directly from one of Wasser's best fragrances, Tonka Imperiale, but maybe tilted just slightly more smoky here.

Did you get all of that? The middle is Shalimar Perfume Initial mixed with cherry almond and incense and it is incredible.

The middle fades to a whisper far too quickly in my opinion but the drydown is still really nice and lasts a while, even if it's more gentle than I'd like. It's a soft and very sweet tonka "sandalwood" and it doesn't have much to say after the brilliant middle notes. That's ok with me, the middle speaks for itself.

This is a huge departure from the original l'Homme Ideal EDT but it makes sense to have them in the same family. Gone is the screeching cheap woody/leather note that almost derailed what was otherwise a very good fragrance in the original EDT, but gone too is the late drydown which I really enjoyed. It's a fair trade off in my opinion. This perfume version is one of the best Wasser works I've ever smelled and is absolutely worthy of the Guerlain name.
10th May, 2020
This is an example of why I don't like gourmand colognes.
No thinks, I'll pass. (but I admit, I'm tempted to try Ideal L'intense)
03rd May, 2020
One of the few positives of the CV-19 outbreak is that I can wear and try what I want, and only run the risk of disturbing my nearest and dearest. Hence the second wave of trialling a whole range of samples.

This one leaves me hovering over the thumbs up and neutral categories. I think it just about deserves the former. It's by no means perfect, though. For a start, anything that might stiffen the mix is absent. Any hint of sandalwood is missing or drowned by the more gourmand notes. Leather? laughably absent.

For all that, given a concoction based on rose, vanilla, tonka, and almond, it does somehow work as a masculine. The rose note fades nicely and is well done.

And what might you say to someone wearing this as a conscious choice after testing? That they have at least a rudimentary idea of the high street offering and that they aren't averse to taking minor risks.

I feel as though I am talking to someone who has passed their driving test and taking the opportunity of overall success to talk about the many points for improvement. Go on, you've earned it. Just.
22nd March, 2020
A charming, classy, unique, and dare I say sexy spring/autumn fragrance. Like the most sophisticated herbal cherry-almond liquer imagineable sipped while wearing a brown leather jacket on a cool autumn night. A fire is burning somewhere far off, and you can smell the distant smoke mingling with the scent of leather. This is also a gorgeous tonka and rose fragrance, both of which are pretty prominent on my skin. Luckily I love both of those notes, so this one checks all the boxes. Sweet, but hardly a gourmand, L'Homme Ideal EDP is the perfect warm, cozy scent for a night out or in during the cooler, but not outright frigid seasons. For a cold winter, I'd have to bust out something with a little bit of extra strength. As much as I love this one, it's not the best performer. I get maybe 4-5 hours tops with only moderate projection and sillage in the first hour before it fades to a skin scent. This is a consistent problem for the Guerlain L'Homme Ideal line, and I hate it because almost all of them (maybe not Sport) smell great. With a bit more presence this would surely be hailed as one of the best masculines (though it is unisex) on the market.
23rd June, 2019
Had the potential to be quite spectacular. The opening is great but the dry down becomes quite boring and the longevity is terrible.

Opens up with a really nice vanilla/rose combo with a touch of almond in the background. There is also a slight spicyness. It sounds a bit feminine but It's really not. After an hour it starts to fall apart and I was left unimpressed. After the 3 hour mark it was hardly noticeable.
11th March, 2019

Add your review of L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum

Shop for L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum products online

Shop for L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum

There are no member images of L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum yet. Why not be the first?