Issara (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseParfums Dusita
PerfumerPissara Umavijani

About Issara

Issara is a shared / unisex perfume by Parfums Dusita. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pissara Umavijani

Issara fragrance notes

Reviews of Issara

drseid Show all reviews
Issara opens with no top notes to speak of, immediately moving to its early heart as very subtle almond-like coumarin takes on the sole starring role, underpinned by soft musk-like ambergris. During the late dry-down a sharp, woody vetiver emerges and takes the fore as the coumarin vacates, leaving just hints of the ambergris remnants as barely noticeable support through the finish. Projection is minimal, but longevity very good at over 10 hours on skin.

When I first applied Issara on skin I had to put my nose right up against my wrist, as I smelled almost nothing. Either I am anosmic to most of the early ingredients, or despite the fragrance pyramid listing, the top notes just aren't there (and I dare say the same holds true for a lot of the heart notes too). The coumarin definitely can be detected in the heart, but even though it is the early focal aspect of the composition, it comes off as extremely subtle, almost to the point of making one wonder what is the point of wearing the perfume. The skillful use of ambergris also almost goes unnoticed, as like the coumarin, while detectable, it too seems to be in hiding throughout the composition's development. Only in the late dry-down does the woody vetiver finally assert itself, salvaging an otherwise pleasant but disappointing and irrelevant outing. I find myself torn on how to score Issara, as on the one hand it does smell good and has a great smelling late dry-down (if not overly simplistic), but the rest of the composition just makes one shrug one's shoulders as to "what's the point." In the end, the bottom line is the $350 per 50ml bottle Issara teeters between irrelevant and near-fantastic, earning it a "good" to "very good" 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 rating, but only a neutral recommendation due to its inconsistency, among other minor shortcomings.
23rd February, 2020
A strange paradox. A completely dreamy, ultra-sweet, coumarin-forward fougere, with extremely disappointing projection.

I have to add my voice to the chorus of people who love the scent itself but can’t believe the performance, especially at such a steep price point. It’s a strange feeling to spray yourself in $20 of perfume and wonder if you need to apply more. And that’s just for your own personal enjoyment. If you are on a date and hoping someone gets a good impression of your style and sophistication, or Hell, even general grooming habits, look elsewhere.

HOWEVER: A high performance version of this might push all the notes together in a claustrophobic cloud and yield something like, say Black Afgano by Nasomatto. It’s a real conundrum. But Pissara has shown herself to be a talent to watch, so I remain hopeful that Issara is a puzzle she can solve.

Thumbs up because it really is lovely, though I won’t be buying at this price & performance.
12th August, 2019
Mmm...Issara is beautiful. I love it! This is such a smooth blend of green notes, coumarin's vanillia and hay presence along with just a tiny shot of bourbin vetiver, oakmoss and ever so slight muskiness. I wish I smelled the individual pine note in the opening as well as pine in the mids...but I don't. That's my only beef with this fragrance, well...that and it's lack of projection. I'd like it to be a bit more forward and not so much a skin scent, which it is. The scent itself however is marvelous! I completely agree with teardrop that there is a definite Chergui vibe to Issara, but I prefer Issara to Chergui. Issara is ridiculously overpriced. It's supposed to be an extrait, but it performs like an EDV which translated is Eau d Vapor. Meaning it's more a will-o-the wisp than it is a liquid fragrance. All these things aside however, I want a bottle of Issara. Smelling this fragrance makes me feel a great sense of well being and rightness in the world...LOL...
11th July, 2019
Surprised at the love for this one. Inoffensive and not merely forgettable but virtually unnoticeable. I wear frags for myself so don’t mind low sillage. But even at the skin scent level this fades from view in moments.
09th March, 2019
Parfums Dusita Issara is a surprising tobacco-accord re-introducing the amazing Teatro Olfattivo di Parma Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio's "dry-tobacco woody theme" although in this case without the toasted coffee's presence and overall basically in to a greener/muskier finally soapier way. The note of tobacco is dominant, mild and seasoned, still spicy, virile, restrained and piquant a la Bell'Antonio (just finally a tad smoother) but more wet, citric and aromatic. All the rest is quite accessorial (despite vetiver, hay, tonka and ambergris play an influencing role) under my grotesque mediterranean nose. Opening is hesperidic, piney, sharply herbal, mossy, woody-liquid (vetiver) and dry-spicy (on a certain extent) a la Terre d'Hermes. In particular hesperides, pepper, cedar and vetiver initially elicit the sharp TdH's vibe though in a less herbal and more brisk-fluidy coniferous way. While musk is like a ghost (sheer in the opening and gradually evanescent along the way) ambergris is finally a key element providing piquancy and restraint. Dry hay is another fundamental pattern imprinting the arid wooden effect (a sort of seasoned mild/woody vibe strictly connected to tobacco). Finally the juice is all about dry woody tobacco and ambergris, just slightly soothed by a minimal touch musk and tonka bean (the latter enhancing the mild almost soapy final wake). An excellent juice for all the lovers of a dry/woody/seasoned idea of tobacco. A comforting virile woody fragrance painting an enchanted "countryside like" botanical and rural sort of impressionistic "Provencal" scenario.
01st May, 2018 (last edited: 26th May, 2018)
There is both a freshness & an earthiness to this one. There's a crisp, sunlit opening, followed by smooth tobacco, a hint of sage, & an undertone of tonka. Over the first hour, the tobacco becomes smokier, & then comes the best part: the coumarin comes out in full force, with all its hay-like sweetness. There are shades of Chergui here, although this is less sweet & less dense. The projection is excellent for a good six hours, & overall it lasts well over twelve hours, sometimes up to twenty-four on a good day.
I am no expert on fougeres, but I really enjoy this one in autumn, & am very impressed with its performance on my skin.
15th May, 2017