Aura (2017)

PerfumerMarie Salamagne
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Aura

Aura is a feminine perfume by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Marie Salamagne, Christophe Raynaud, Amandine Marie and Daphne Bugey

Reviews of Aura

Mugler is a house I have pretty much totally neglected since I became seriously interested in perfume a little over 10 years ago, which I now realize was a dumb mistake. My avoidance has been largely due to my intense dislike of Angel, which is really not fair as I should have given the other fragrances from this house a shot.

I recently received an Aura sample with a fragrance purchase, and what an interesting fragrance. On first spray I found it very sweet and got that wintergreen/toothpaste note others have mentioned, but it quickly started to grow on me. I can’t deconstruct this fragrance note by note but it smells like a sweet green floral/oriental/fruity-floral fragrance. It sounds like a lot but it works, and my SO said it smells nice. I don’t have anything else that smells like this. Aura proves that thankfully there are still designer/mainstream fragrances being made that are interesting, innovative, and a bit strange.

I’ve also tried the EDT and Aura Sensuelle, but found them not nearly as interesting and unique as the original EDP. The original EDP is the only one worth owning IMO.
20th July, 2020 (last edited: 11th August, 2020)
After wearing Aura (edp) for a while I find it has a kind of split personality that keeps drawing me to it. It is a blend of some very traditional 20th century perfume accords with some very odd reportedly formerly unused in perfumery tropical green notes: rhubarb leaf, tiger liana, orange blossom, Bourbon vanilla, wolfwood. This juxtaposition creates a unique—yes—aura.

My first reaction when smelling it was it smelled like it was created by a committee because its notes seemed so disparate, and it was! Four perfumers were required to pull it together. It felt uncomfortable and strange. But after a while the strangeness became a pull and now I find it stunning and wearable—like one would wear a five-carat emerald—a little self-consciously.
07th June, 2020
Tart red rhubarb and sharp green notes frame this fragrance in the top notes. As they fade, a warm and boozy bourbon vanilla takes over, punctuated here and there by the sweet, lush scent of orange blossoms. Sandalwood and tonka make up a warm, rich base note, accented with that lip-smacking vanilla note.
06th May, 2020
Aura is effectively a green/leafy gourmand. If you are a fan of Cacharel LouLou but you'd love something brighter, more glamour-chic (a la Givenchy Ange ou Demon or Very Irresistible), "icy" and silvan Mugler Aura is the Ideal modern take for you. Vanilla, the main element, is kind of cool, orangy/musky, damp, floral-leafy, vaguely aqueous-boozy and aromatic (in a sort of weirdly synth and freshly silvan balsamic way simultaneoulsy). Rhubarb provides a spacious and "sparkling" sense of vanillic freshness. Wolfwood and Tiger liana are sort of futuristic woody-icy aromachemicals. According to Firmenich Tiger Liana it is extracted from the root of an unidentified Chinese medicinal root. It is described as smelling “botanical, animalic, and smoky”. I detect a tad of synth botanical woodiness but frankly any animalic smokiness under my vulgar nose. I'm almost sure a tad of ylang-ylang could bè part of the alchemy. Dry down is an amazingly synth pastel green musky vanilla with sophisticated balsamic floral nuances.
12th June, 2019
Sweet & green at the same time, the first moments of application. There is a sugary green note, not of rhubarb - Maybe that's the tiger liana? I'm not familiar with it. I don't get any bitterness yet, from rhubarb leaf (other times I wear, this I do straight away).

This frag remains fairly sweet. A boozy vanilla adds some depth later. I have no idea what wolfwood is [either].

This seems to develop a leafier green later, an almost Atlas cedar accord, too. Is this the wolfwood? Who knows. Anyway, the sweetness subsides more and more as this wears on. Aura is an odd one. I like it better some days, more than others.
21st February, 2019
The first time I tested this I recoiled in horror. The opening was downright awful, wintergreen toothpaste grafted onto a set of abstract tropical florals as conceived by a pyschopath—a hostess gift for the bride of Frankenstein.

But about an hour later it did something weirdly wonderful. It rearranged itself at a cellular level into something that resembled an actual living perfume, albeit a bizarre one, a lush vanillic green that toggled between icy and smokey, sweet and sour, before ultimately ending up as cozy.

That icy aspect really intrigues me. Maybe it's because the second time I wore Aura, during a long walk with my dogs on a 17-degree winter morning, the intense cold somehow tamped the opening down into something way more tolerable, a spectacular display of cool mint and smashed greens.

But what starts off as Snow Queen eventually mellows out into Snow White, a cloud of intensely nuzzle-able bourbon vanilla and soft woods that stays very close to my skin, the kind of fragrance designed to inspire loved ones to bury their noses in our necks at the end of a long day and remark, "Wow, you smell so good I could eat you up."

And double thumbs up for the fantastic, praying-to-the-aliens vibe of the bottle.
23rd January, 2019 (last edited: 24th January, 2019)

Add your review of Aura

Shop for Aura products online

Shop for Aura at online perfumeries

Search on eBay