Coromandel Eau de Parfum (2016)
by Chanel

PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Coromandel Eau de Parfum

The company say:

A spirited oriental fragrance that reveals itself by interrupting its amber vibrato with dry notes and finally settles into a long, restrained, voluptuous accord. Could there be any more beautiful homage to the exquisite Chinese lacquer screens that lined Mademoiselle Chanel’s apartments and made her almost “faint with happiness”?

Coromandel Eau de Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of Coromandel Eau de Parfum

Now this is a magnificent fragrance that just enthralls you at first sniff.

A refined smooth blast of patchouli kicks things off followed by the most gorgeous frankincense accord that I have smelled in a fragrance. This is followed by white chocolate and a beautiful rose note. These notes are a marriage made in heaven.

The lovely enchanted blend is quite strong for a few hours with the incense leading the way for dominance over your nose. Eventually the beautiful scent calms down and the incense takes the backseat as the white chocolate and patchouli gently take over.

The projection and sillage are decent and I get about ten hours longevity.

This is a perfect 10 out of 10 in my book and one of the most intoxicating fragrances I have ever smelled. Big thumbs up!
11th July, 2020
Chanel Coromandel EdP (2016) is the replacement iteration for the original Chanel Coromandel EdT (2007) released as part of the Les Exclusifs line before the decision was made to "upgrade" the range to eau de parfum. There are noted differences between both formulas, but I'm going to focus on the overall character of the scent profile in general, since people looking this up will likely have never smelled the original EdT. To the point, Coromandel is a beautiful and well-crafted hybrid semi-oriental fougère and traditional rose patchouli perfume, leaving out key notes like lavender that would fully read "fougère", while also leaving out some of the more animalic compounds found in a rose patchouli combo that tend to read "chypre". What we are left with is a fragrance that opens in an opulent style similar to some masculine-market classics like Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette Concentrée (1989), but then shifts into the darker rose patchouli elements into the dry down, leaning towards something closer to Coco Chanel (1984) in vibe. This mash-up of tones plays homage to the imported Chinese lacquer screens the late Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel herself had adorning her apartment, and reads unisex despite the marketing of this as a feminine fragrance. Overall, Coromandel is very indulgent, rich, and statment-making, with the original EdT predating and likely informing the creation of Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle (2010). I'm not saying these two are much alike beyond being modern retellings of a classic structure, but the redolence and price tag of each places them in a sort of "high-end French rose oriental" semi-genre that hadn't quite existed in the same way before Chanel broke out Coromandel in it's original form back in 2007. Coromandel hasn't set the world on fire, although it continues to be one of the biggest draws to the Les Exclusifs range for collectors besides the re-issues of early Chanels also in the range.

Jacques Polge has his style gratuitously slathered all over this, even if creative director Christopher Sheldrake also gets his hands dirty on co-composing many of the Les Exclusifs perfumes for Chanel. The opening is particularly Polge in demeanor, with tart petitgrain, sharp bergamot, and a bit of sage mixed with neroli to give a green citrus herbacious start liked by mature men. Soon the rose and patchouli come barrelling in, and this is a patchouli full of terpenes unlike most of today's "fractioned" clean patchouli (which smells like nondescript "thickness"), so you will know front and center that dark rose and patchouli is in here. Iris adds some feminine powdery facets to the rose, and with the petitgrain/neroli mix recalls some likeness of Guerlain Shalimar (1925), but the obvious rose quashes any direct link. A clean hedionic jasmine lifts up this heart, then lays it on a bed of Polge's creamy custom sandalwood synthetic compound that he's worked on for years, with amber, tonka, olibanum, musks, evernyl (in lieu of oakmoss), and sweet benzoin to re-affirm the semi-oriental fougère-like opening. Coromandel ultimately feels like the heart of Diva by Emanuel Ungaro (1983), which is another Polge creation, sandwiched between elements of the aforementioned Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette Concentrée and Chanel Allure Homme (1999). I think much of the base in Coromandel was also used for the Eau de Parfum variant of Pour Monsieur also released in 2016, which explains the similarities. Coromandel wears rich, but dry and aromatic, with warm fatty-but-clean musks carrying the scent aloft on skin, and the sandalwood/oakmoss/tonka grounding it. Rose and patchouli are the stars of the show despite this seemingly-masculine anchoring, which is how Coromandel justifies being a luxury feminine release to masses that may encounter it, but really just plants its feet in genderbend territory for most fragrance enthusiasts. Wear time is over 12 hours with good projection and sillage can be cloying with over-application, so be careful.

I suggest cooler months for Coromandel, as the oriental incense tones and woody musk arrangements in the base make this boom bright in cold, but you may enjoy it in searingly dry heat as well since the rose and petitgrain also come alive in those contexts, meaning Coromandel also works if you live somewhere that is more desert-like. Humidity is the foe of this one, and also due to the opulence of the style, I'd steer clear of casual or office use, but that's just me. Coromandel is a perfume for perfume lovers, both from its prohibitively-expensive price tag as part of the Les Exclusifs range, and the indulgent nature of the composition itself. If you're a man and you love rich semi-orientals like Chanel's own Égoïste (1990) or Guerlain Héritage (1992), this may be a next-level sort of fragrance. Equally, if you're a woman and classics like Lanvin Arpège (1927) or literally anything with rose Tom Ford has pushed in his Private Collection appeal to you, this should too. As for me, I most definitely see the love here and buying a perfume that merges rose and patchouli with a semi-oriental style I very much enjoy would seem like a no-brainer, but it also comes down once again to price, especially since the tight control Chanel keeps on distribution prevents discounts. I'd have to shell out minimum $250 but closer to $350+ for a substantial bottle, and at those prices (with no negotiations), you're running up against some really gorgeous niche treatments of rose and patchouli that are arguably a tad more memorable. Still, this is top-tier work from both Chanel and Jacques Polge that is not to be missed, and if you should ever find a good deal which brings the price into more-realistic territory, do not hesitate to purchase if you're a lover of the style. If you're a fan of classic perfume and tired of hunting vintages, you won't find much better blending, artistry, innovation, respect for tradition, and wearability all in one impossible package many other places. Thumbs up.
26th May, 2020
Coromandel, how much I love thee!

When I was 16, I thought I had found the Holy Grail of perfumery: It was KL femme, the bottle with the fan on top. I stuck to it for about 25 years, nothing could come between us. Even when it was discontinued, I managed to still buy bottles. When it came out once, it was a very expensive perfume, later on it could easily be found on discount and then - gone.

It took me almost 15 years to find something I love at least as much, if not even more, and that is Coromandel. They are not really all alike. KL was probably not exactly an olfactory masterpiece, Coromandel may be is. The combination of citrus fruit (there must be some blood orange in there, although not mentioned above), of "oriental" ingredients such as spices, of earth, rounded off with the warmth of a non-sticky patchouli and musk - it's gorgeous. And lasts forever on my skin, in fact, you won't need too much, this is a rather heavy one. Please, CHANEL: Don't ever discontinue it.
26th July, 2019 (last edited: 29th July, 2019)
So where do I start??

This has to be the most beautiful fragrance I have ever had the pleasure of putting my nose to. I mean, It's simply breathtaking. I really don't understand why this is marketed towards Women? To me Coromandel is totally unisex and far too good for any Man to miss out on because of a label on a box.

The blending is superb and and is one of the smoothest fragrances in existence. Comes across as extremely expensive and upscale (as it should).

From the opening I am getting mainly patch. It's one of the nicest patchouli notes I have ever come across. You know It's there but it Isn't skanky or anything to be afraid of. There is an underlying rose note and maybe some iris?? As the fragrance begins to dry down the more gourmand elements come to the surface. The main player is white chocolate or maybe a creamy milk chocolate?? There is also some subtle frankincense. It is totally seductive without becoming sickly sweet or a full on gourmand.

In conclusion, Coromandel is a work of art. Captivating from the word go and blended as well as you could possibly hope for.

01st May, 2019 (last edited: 12th July, 2020)
The EDP has lost the complex development of the original EDT. This one cuts straight to that beautiful "Coromandel accord" of resinous patchouli that comprises everyone's favorite part of the fragrance. Gone is the yummy, jellybean top. Gone is the difficult, dry wine and patchouli middle. Gone is the barbershop vibe followed by the sweet resin base. It's all still there, mind you, but it's delivered in one blast from start to finish. The EDT used to be unsettled, wavering delicately. The EDP is solid and sure -- and boring as a bag of candy. Why did they do this? Coromandel was so much fun before. Sure, not all of the phases were as likable as the others, but development is about the journey. Some parts of the adventure were a bit rough, but the Coromandel EDT was a Holy Grail trip. The EDP is a nice fragrance, but that's all. I'm sorry to say, this got dumbed-down. Shame on you, Chanel.
13th February, 2019
First of all, I've wanted to try this for a while and finally got some. I thought I was getting the EDT, but only because I'm blind, (not literally, just figuratively), so what I am wearing is the EDP, and I'm wondering if I'd like the EDT better? Is the patchouli more dominant in the EDT? Anyone whose tried both, please chime in. Anyway, this is well made, and definitely has the Chanel baseline DNA. Perhaps a bit too feminine for my taste, but I put one small spray on my wrist and then just a tiny dab behind each ear, and it actually grew on me as the day progressed. It's pretty fresh and nice. Coromandel has the "make-up" smell to me, similar to Dior Homme, but seems fresher as well. The 10 mils I have will probably last me for 10 years at the rate one days wear went today. It's potent and lasts a long time. I wouldn't ever wear more than I did today, as it has excellent sillage, and lasts all day and into the night. Excellent fragrance by Chanel and would smell amazing on a woman, that's for sure.
30th March, 2018

Add your review of Coromandel Eau de Parfum

Shop for Coromandel Eau de Parfum products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Coromandel Eau de Parfum

There are no member images of Coromandel Eau de Parfum yet. Why not be the first?