Y (2017)

HouseYves Saint Laurent
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About Y

The company say:

Y, the new masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. Inspired by the iconic Yves Saint Laurent white t-shirt and black jacket, this Eau De Toilette represents a balance between freshness and strength. Like a crisp white t-shirt, notes of bergamot, sage and ginger offer a sharp juicy freshness to challenge convention and exceed all expectations. At its base, soft notes of balsam fir, cedarwood and marine ambergris embody the subtle power of a tailored black jacket that is refined, chic and surprisingly powerful. An authentic and bold creation; masculinity re-defined.

Y fragrance notes

Reviews of Y

rbaker Show all reviews
A blast of chemical freshness greets me, with aldehydes and Iso E Super in the foreground. a touch of ginger and a background of citrus - mainly bergamot with a whiff of grapefruit - round off this round.

The drydown veers into the herbal side, with safe, a pinch of thyme and a violet leaf - still a bright mix. Some floral notes, geranium mainly, as also present.

The base is based on white musks mainly, but initially it greets me with a salty inkling,a laboratory attempt at an ambergris that results in a nigh marine-like twist. A woodsy background - mainly cedar with touches of fir - appears towards the end.

I ger moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

A pleasant and fresh spring creation that is rather generic most of the time. 2.5/5
27th August, 2020
This must be the most synthetic scent i have ever come across. It reminds me of new plastic toys that you just unwrapped from the box. Powerful longevity and sillage nevertheless.

Very mediocre. Overall 5.5/10
13th September, 2019
Nice fresh and slightly sweet fragrance, nothing special but definitely a good scent when you you're a confident person and know what you're wearing. Makes a good warm weather fragrance. I've smelt both the edt and edp, one on each arm for a day. I found the edp to be a bit too heavy and a little sweeter than the edt, pushing it towards the feminine side, so I went for the cheaper edt. Besides that the difference between them is barely noticable. Overall a good, safe and versatile scent.
28th June, 2019
Fresh, semi-screeching opening. It's kind of an oily thing. For once, bergamot does Not annoy me. It's done well, here. The heart has a nice, herbal-flower thing going on. Nothing overwhelmingly brilliant here though. It's a rather predictable masculine frag... It's got an ocean vibe later - low tide accord. I also smell a bit of cedar and fir, like maybe trees on a hill near the sea, mingling with the ocean vibe.

Y is acceptable as a mainstream offering for the average Joe. It isn't anything I'd buy for me or as a gift for my husband. YSL can do better, I think.

Not very long for wear, on my skin either, I'm afraid.
02nd June, 2019
Another boring scent for boring people. It's a sign of the times that YSL has dropped or reformed their best classic frags and produced cheap drek for the masses. I can barely smell anything on the applied area ten minutes afterward, and all I get to begin is a generic aquatic nothing. WHY?!
25th February, 2019
Thé eau de toilette is all about a blue scented shower gel. The usual blue fragrance. The eau de parfum has got more personality, with a lot of salt.
23rd November, 2018

Add your review of Y

Shop for Y products online

Shop for Y at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Y

There are no member images of Y yet. Why not be the first?