Viking (2017)

HouseCreed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Viking

The company say:

Viking, a fiery men’s fragrance that bottles the fearless spirit of boundless exploration for the modern man who goes against the grain. Inspired by the incredibly crafted longships, a centerpiece of the Viking Age and one of the greatest design feats of the ninth century. A symbol of voyage and undeniable perseverance, longships were carefully designed for the skilled seaman who embodied unbridled determination to conquer. Viking marks the brand’s first major men’s scent since the introduction of the cult best-selling Aventus in 2010.

Reviews of Viking

So Viking is one of those scents where it is worth the extra $ to own the bottle. The most striking aspect to me is the difference between initial application and the drydown, and the drydown is where it is at! This is a Creed in every sense of the word. Quality, sillage, longevity, just an overall beautiful fragrance. Yes, you can call it a barbershop scent, but one that is on a whole other level, a refined gentleman with sandalwood and vetiver done correctly, so that it doesn't become tiring or too over- pronounced.I did notice a big difference in longevity from the decant atomizer versus the bottle - the bottle was better in longevity and sillage, but the core of the fragrance is the same. The initial blast of bergamot is the best I've smelled in an opening.
08th March, 2020
Highly annoying scent. I tried a bit on the back of my neck after waiting a good ten minutes after the morning shower. After 2 hours, I’d had enough of that smell and washed it off. Some may like it (my wife thought it was “pleasant, but not that great”). I recommend getting a sample first.
28th February, 2020
I think Viking was sorely misunderstood when it was first released, causing a lot of knee-jerk reactions and negative criticisms that may not have been warranted. Having owned this since its inception, being able to judge it outside of the “hype bubble,” and having had some time for my bottle to macerate, I can say with confidence that Viking is indeed a very capable and worthy scent, with its own niche and purpose among the Creed lineup. To begin, the bottle that I’ve owned since it was first released has become richer, fuller and more dynamic over time. Many Creeds are like this, often taking a solid 6 months of use before they hit their sweet spot. And they continue to develop thereafter. So I think much of the initial judgment of Viking was based on sample vials and very new bottles. There’s nothing wrong with this—as that’s all that’s available at the time of a new release—but it doesn’t give the full picture. Especially concerning performance: The bottle I have now lasts twice as long and projects at least 50% stronger than it did when I first opened it. But the smell is also more developed and vibrant. Judging Viking now, it has very solid performance, noticeable projection for at least 6 hours and an overall longevity of about 10. Now that performance is out of the way, let’s talk about the scent itself.

The opening, in my opinion, is one of the best of any fragrance released in the past few years (it’s easily in the top ten). It’s a bracing, invigorating contrasting blast of Viking’s “fire and ice” theme; an icy, mentholated mint paired with hot, piquant cinnamon and pepper. Pink pepper is also at play here, contributing to both the spicy-sweet effects of the pepper and cinnamon. Not only is it wakeful and energizing, but it smells really good. The cinnamon is fresh, spicy and sweet, the pepper too, and the mint is a cool, clean peppermint right in the middle of the spectrum as far as sweet and candy-like versus herbal and bitter. The contrasting accords are carefully balanced, neither overriding the other, and separated in a way where each has its own dimension or space in the composition yet the effect of their totality is never lost. It’s a fantastic opening, and perhaps Viking’s best moment. Fortunately, it lasts a long time as far as opening’s are concerned—a solid hour and a half before moving into its next stage of development.

In its mid, Viking slowly recedes from its bracing start and takes on a more pretty, dandyish persona. A soft rose note subtly takes shape, accented by pink pepper and resting on a steadily increasing , transparent sandalwood. This is perhaps Viking’s most complex, shape-shifting phase, as salty flashes of marine nuances peek out from the corners, delicate notes of a sweetened rose appear and disappear, and the Viking ship, with its briny wooden frame gradually materializes in the background, as if emerging from a misty cove. This is Viking’s heart phase, a seamless, clever transition from the opening, almost so much so that it’s arrived before you’re able to realize it. It begins in the trailing half hour of the opening and persists for about one hour altogether before it just as swiftly shifts shape again into its final base phase. While Viking’s opening is my favorite stage of the fragrance, if you’re a patient person, you’ll probably find the heart very rewarding. Not only is its transition impressive in how smooth and quietly it occurs, but it also gives one a lot to observe. As I described earlier, there are several things occurring in the heart at once, much of it related to the fragrance’s Viking theme, and it’s a pleasure to dissect and pick apart, experiencing different nuances with each wear.

After about three hours Viking takes on much more familiar territory, as the swirling components of the heart recede and blend into a somewhat traditional base of sandalwood, Vetiver, lavender and the now submerged remnants of the previous stages. Here it smells reminiscent of standard, traditional men’s aftershaves, such as Old Spice, with an undeniably masculine, spicy-musky-woody appeal. This is where many people wrote Viking off, citing it as an unoriginal and outdated formula. But there’s more to it than that. To begin, let’s take all that came before it into account—three hours of dynamic, contrasting elements expertly blended and progressing through seamless, stealthy transitions. A refreshing jolt of a start followed by subtle marine-like hints further reinforcing the Viking theme, and a beautiful phantom rose adding a dimension of formality and elegance. And now that brings us to the masculine spicy woody musk—a timeless aroma of the well- groomed adult male, the signature scent of businessmen and blue-collar workers worldwide. Well...why not? The more and more I wear Viking the more I welcome this traditional, classical phase. Its familiarity is predictable and comforting. And furthermore, it’s very well done. It wears easily with the right density, has all of its traditional aftershave elements in balance, and it sits at just the right level in relation to the skin, casting a comfortable, confident aura. Finally, the sandalwood around which its structured is smooth and aromatic, just as it should be.

This is my take on Viking, a fragrance which I believe has a lot more to it than meets the eye. It’s also unique among the Creed lineup. This is their barbershop offering, and as such it bridges the well-groomed man of the past with that of the present, age appropriate for all despite its nod to the past. It was never meant to be the next Aventus—Viking is more discreet, more of a slow burn, with less wow factor and more of an understated, daily-wear characteristic. To that end it serves its purpose extremely well. Though my review is way late and long over due, it’s given me more than ample time to really live with the fragrance. The review came about when I considered selling Viking off since I’m cutting down the size of my wardrobe significantly. But upon thinking about it, I couldn’t come up with one good reason why I should get rid of it, and I came up with many reasons why I like it so much. It’s a keeper, Final rating: 9/10
31st December, 2019
Strongly smells of Bay Rum, Cinnamon and Mint. A good barber shop scent. NOT worth the price.
25th November, 2019
Like andrewthecologne guy, my initial reaction to spraying Viking on my skin was “huh, Cinnamon?”

I’m honestly shocked it’s not listed as a note. Something about the way the pepper, mint and patchouli interacted with my skin definitely gave that impression.

Another wear from my tester may get a better impression from me, but initially all I felt was “meh” .... this isn’t a bad scent, it really just doesn’t wow me. ironically it has a much better sandalwood presence than original Santal and I do like all of the notes in the composition, so I will give it another day of testing for shits and giggles.

I don’t see this getting discounted the way that older creeds do, so I can’t come close to justifying the price value proposition.

Unenthusiastic neutral. Just meh.
08th November, 2019
A big like for me

Although this doesn't project much it definitely had good longevity for me, it sits quite close to the skin which is a shame.

I do love the salty, mint, pepper vibe about this fragrance

All in all

30th October, 2019 (last edited: 31st January, 2020)

Add your review of Viking

Shop for Viking products online

Shop for Viking at online perfumeries

Search on eBay