Mx. (2017)

SupplierTakasago
Creative DirectorBarbara Herman

About Mx.

The company say:

Named after the gender-neutral title starting to replace Mr., Mrs. and Ms. — the "X" in Mx. marks the freedom to be who you want to be, free from the constraints of gender. A sparkling mix of ginger, saffron, vetiver, and black pepper on a creamy bed of cedar and sandalwood, wrapped in rich notes of cacao, benzoin, and the animalic purr of castoreum, Mx. blurs the boundaries between conventionally masculine and feminine perfume notes to create a symphony of olfactory decadence.

Reviews of Mx.

Mx is a very pleasant, floral sandalwood and cedarwood scent. Kinda like a softer, more floral Oud Wood. Has some smoky, animalic notes under all the sweet, woody notes.

Very unisex and has a sweet and clean vibe that makes it modern.

Projection is just average but longevity lasts all workday. It maintains the woody sweetness throughout.
08th May, 2020
This opens with peppery incense & woods, quickly joined by the sweeter note of benzoin. lt's very soft, & as it dries down it becomes slightly smoky & powdery, with a salty, savoury note in the heart. I get no ginger, only the merest hint of castoreum, & five hours in it's barely there.
IsoESuperman's review is spot on: this is definitely unisex & pleasant, but it's nothing new, & the best that can be said is that it's inoffensive & subtle enough to be work-appropriate. The same accord has been done much better in fragrances like Labdanum 18 & Bois d'Armenie.
06th December, 2018
*According to Barbara Herman, this is pronounced "mix".

What I mainly get from Mx. is a modern blend of sheer, soft woody notes (conifers, sandal) and a birch/orris vibe, similar to that airy "incense" accord in Fazzolari's Feu Secret, but less compelling. I like that aspect of the opening, but the rest falls flat for me.

In the context of 2018 and with the skill and imagination of Antonie Lie in mind, I personally found this mundane, as well as disappointing. It's not tragically repetitive nor is it off-putting, but it does smell pedestrian and like a riff on any number of synth-sandalwood fragrances, most of which I enjoy more than this. Don't get me wrong, I particularly like that synth-sandal note/accord/whatever it is - perhaps some blend of cashmeran and other woody stuff. It's the same type of lactic, slightly sweet sandal note as I detect in Oud Malaki, SJP Stash, Pal Zileri Sartoriale, the revamped 2017 version of Santal Noble, etc. It dominates the composition for me.

The note listing gives the impression of a complex spiced, woody, potentially smoky/animalic oriental - but all I get is a pale, smoothed out, synth woody scent. No vetiver, no cacao, and certainly no saffron or castoreum.

It smells good enough, but there is little here to distinguish it from so many others in this family. Mx. is my first try from the house and I really wanted to like it, and for whatever reason, tried hard to make that happen. I went through 3 samples from LuckyScent, dabbed one, atomized the second two - all led me to the same conclusion.

The perfumer said:

"Mx. is a subtle mix of rich ingredients I love, without floral notes or diluted musks. It’s not a clean, neutral, unisex fragrance, but a lush, romantic, inviting scent for everyone - whatever their gender."

I think the brief was met in the sense that something for either gender to wear was no doubt created, but as far as my tastes go, this actually is clean and neutral, and far from the lush animalic purr that Herman and Lie were aiming for.

I'm still looking forward to trying more from Eris, but less so than before I tried Mx.
15th April, 2018

Add your review of Mx.

Shop for Mx. products online

Shop for Mx. at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Mx.

There are no member images of Mx. yet. Why not be the first?